SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can personality be a gift? and is shyness a sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

There are many people in the world that have a more charming personality than a lot of Christians do.

It is not what we are in the natural that counts, but who we are in Christ.

Our natural giftings have to be surrendered to God so that He can use them. God nevers gets any glory out of a self made man, but His strength is made perfect in weakness. God gets glory out of a man that knows that he is nothing in himself, but God is everything. That without God he can do nothing, but he can do all things through Christ who strengthens him.

The grace of God is shown more clearly in our weakness, and not in our strength. The man that has no confidence in the flesh can be greatly used of God, and the man that is trusting in his own ability and strength has not died to self, and cannot be of much use to God.

Praise God that we have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellency of the power may be of God and not of us.

Mike

2009/5/5 7:39Profile

Re:

I don't think we take into consideration that it's not what we post here or what we say at Church or in public as much as what we do & say privately - such as with our most trusted friends, our family at home, through emails and PMs, etc..

"Every idle word"

I've known some rather quiet people to have a lot to say in those venues - even on forums and feel it would have been better if they kept all things public.

This song just flashed through my mind -

[i]Search me, O God,
And know my heart today;
Try me, O Savior,
Know my thoughts, I pray.
See if there be
Some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin
And set me free.

I praise Thee, Lord,
For cleansing me from sin;
Fulfill Thy Word,
And make me pure within.
Fill me with fire
Where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire
To magnify Thy Name.

Lord, take my life,
And make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart
With Thy great love divine.
Take all my will,
My passion, self and pride;
I now surrender, Lord
In me abide.

O Holy Ghost,
Revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival,
Start the work in me.
Thy Word declares
Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessings now,
O Lord, I humbly plead.[/i]

2009/5/5 13:26
run2win

USA

Re: Can personality be a gift? and is shyness a sin?

Shyness, a fear of people and social openness (as opposed to quietness and introversion which are normal and related to basic temperament), can be overcome, but it is a stronghold. Shyness is a weakness, or an infirmity of the spirit. Is it a sin? I would say possibly, if it has mastery over a person and hinders the Holy Spirit. But shyness is not immoral or detestable.

Even Timothy might have struggled with this a little, 2Tim1:7. I think it is certainly rooted in the fear of man, and through Christ, shyness can be overcome, but we must be very supportive and gentle with brothers and sisters who struggle with this. The worst thing you can do is point it out, especially publicly. All shy people know that they are shy, they don't need us to remind them and everyone else.

I think it behooves us to be patient and encouraging with the shy ones among us and watch the Lord open them like the morning glory, using the gentleness of light and tender warmth. It is our insensitivity to this painful, lonely prison that drives them back to it, just as the morning glory closes off at the harshness of the afternoon sun.

Shyness is rooted in fear, and fear is an absence of trust. Shyness often stems from some event or series of events that violated trust in others or in oneself, and it can even be present in people who are natural extroverts.

May God open our eyes to be a blessing and an encouragement to the shy ones among us.

2009/5/6 12:46Profile
michelle77

Hi Santana,

i personally dont think shyness is a sin is part of your personality is nt something you just learned hw to do, i myself am a shy person and youd think you would grow out of it as you get older but i havent i deal with it everyday im a quiet person and often shy to be around people at times sometimes people think im conceited but its that im shy cant help its who i am.
Santana wrote:
I'm sure we all know Christians who are outgoing and make friends where ever they go. People are attracted to them. Is the 'personality' a gift?

I also know Christians who know the Bible from cover to cover but are quiet and shy. Is that wrong?

:-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

2009/5/6 15:59Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

In regards to the thread title and the question, "Is shyness a sin?", I remember Elisabeth Elliot saying that she believes shyness is sin. Why? Because for many people it's rooted in self-centeredness. However, there would be a danger in making that a blanket statement and saying that everyone who's shy is sinning. We just can't know what has gone on in someone's life.

I know for myself, I have been shy and the Lord is dealing with me on that. There is a certain amount of pressing that needs to be done. Pressing to reach outside of myself and even just greet others in a nice, cordial way. So, that's where I'm at right now. :-)

2009/5/6 16:36Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Sorry, I put this in the wrong thread... Pray for me!! I must have been way tired last night....

God bless us!!

2009/5/6 21:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy