SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Italian Prime Minister declares himself the "Jesus Christ" of politics...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Italian Prime Minister declares himself the "Jesus Christ" of politics...

[b]Berlusconi says he world's most popular leader[/b]
by Laura Viggiano
REUTERS
Fri May 1, 2009

NAPLES (Reuters) - Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who has compared himself to Jesus Christ and Napoleon, boasted on Friday that he was the world's most popular leader.

The conservative premier, in his third term in office, said opinion poll findings in his possession showed his popularity at just over 75 percent, making him far more popular than U.S. President Barack Obama -- or any other head of government.

"The opinion polls I know say that he (Obama) is at 59 percent. Only (Brazilian President Luiz Inacio) Lula tops 60 percent -- he is at 64 percent. So mine is a record high," he told reporters in Naples where he attended a May Day concert.

On his way out of the concert hall, the 72-year-old Berlusconi -- who has proclaimed himself the Jesus Christ of Italian politics and once said he was second only to Napoleon, except taller -- was heckled by protesters who shouted "Go Away!."

Commentators agree Berlusconi enjoys high popularity ratings despite the economic crisis -- the International Monetary Fund expects Italy's economy to contract by 4.4 percent this year -- although perhaps not as high as he claims.

A poll published last month by left-leaning La Repubblica daily said support for Berlusconi stood at 56 percent and had risen in April for the first time since October thanks to his hands-on response to a deadly earthquake.

Berlusconi, who regularly complains of unfair treatment by the media despite directly or indirectly controlling 90 percent of Italy's television, put his own popularity at 75.1 percent.

"These are independent surveys, but they are not promptly published," he said.

Click [url=http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE5404XV20090501?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=22&sp=true]HERE[/url] to read the full article.

2009/5/3 13:23Profile

Re: Italian Prime Minister declares himself the "Jesus Christ" of politics.

72? He needs to repent Soon. I hear him on the radio news making a spectacle out of himself with his words. Too bad no one over there tells him about what Jesus did for him on the cross. :-o

2009/5/3 17:01
ginnyrose

Mississippi

So the guy is popular with [i]some[/i] folks. But for some reason he has a problem staying married. Wonder what these women have to say about him that they do not want to live with him.

As I recall one of the Beatles said he was more popular then Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, he was close to being right. (He did not take into account all those who never heard of him or those that did not regard him.) But this fellow died and is still dead.

Seems like some folks just don't get it. "Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall' (Proverbs 16:18) is as true today as it was when these words were penned.

ginnyrose

2009/5/5 10:01Profile
run2win

USA

He was despised and forsaken of men, a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and like one from whom men hide their face, He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Isaiah 53:3

"My kingdom is not of this world...My kingdom is not of this realm...You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice." John 18:36-37

Popular?

2009/5/6 12:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy