SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Right hand Bible, left hand commentary?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I think many of the mentioned commentary are good to use, also concordance and dictionary's.

My self have used many different kinds and have been blessed by many. We have to find our own way so to speak, there are numerous methods to use aas an instrument for digging in Gods word, but the way some have been blessed dont necessarily will help you in your study.

There are a few principles and some things that are good to use as a guide, but i believe it comes down to find the way that reveals most to you personally, the way that makes you know God more and makes you practice what you get revelation on.

I have for my self used methods that gave me great knowledge in the bible and doctrines, but it dident really change my life, its good to know these things, but for me now i dont use a very advanced method, i just read the word and when my heart gets warmed and God speaks to me, i can stay with one single verse for a long time. Comparing it and looking at different commentary's ect and look at dictionaries and look other passages where that word occurs ect ect.

so what i am saying, if these methods and pointers by other help you to know God more and obey him more, wonderful, but seek God, find the way that gives you most. different ways works for different people.

some time ago i started searching for this myself, and set out on a long journey to find the "secret" in how to study the bible, i read much from many of the "heroes of faith" through out classic christianity, and compiled a thread, some of it i practiced and still do, some dont work for me, some blessed me, maybe you find something for you as well

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15692&forum=36&88]how to get the most from reading your bible[/url]

what i do recommend is get a kjv widemargin bible, strongs concordance and dictionary, a few notebooks for longer writing that wont fit the widemargins, a treasure of scriptural knowledge and you have a few very powerful tools, in america you can get these items very cheap, i just spoke with a brother in finland that said the cheapest interlinear bible he had found was about 1200 dollars, a dictionary can cost up to 800 dollars, and if you know english you can get these items for under 80 dollars i think, so being able to read English is a huge blessing and advantage, many people can never use these tools due to economy and other things. So let us use these things with a great gratitude and privilege that they are.

God bless you

2009/4/27 13:33Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
i just spoke with a brother in finland that said the cheapest interlinear bible he had found was about 1200 dollars, a dictionary can cost up to 800 dollars, and if you know english you can get these items for under 80 dollars i think, so being able to read English is a huge blessing and advantage, many people can never use these tools due to economy and other things. So let us use these things with a great gratitude and privilege that they are.

This was sobering. A good reminder to be thankful for what has been given to us and use it wisely.

2009/4/27 13:55Profile

Re:

Matthew Henry.

Krispy

2009/4/27 14:26
JoanM

Re: The Word and words of God

Thank you Brian for your gracious reply. If I understand you better you might want to look at Zodhiates (Complete Word Study (Old and New Testament) and dictionary.

Before his death, God used him in my life to KNOW HIM (Phi 3:10) specifically through actual Greek. He had a great burden to do this with first Greek and later Hebrew. There may even be recordings of him teaching passages from the new testament so you could check him out that way.

My recollection from his testimony is evangelism flowed out of this labor to bring into English the riches he was flooded with from the Greek of the Word. I too have found great Glory of God hidden in God's choice of language. All translators wrestle with this. In case it encourages you, God revealed Himself as Jesus the Christ as I struggled to get the perfect English translation of the Greek word, Logos in John 1:1. (yea, I know odd) You probably know that in Greek, when you give the Logos, you give the “thing itself”. God was merciful to this clueless tiny one truly laboring to grasp the Truth of His word Logos. Thus I later appreciated Zodhiates and his burden from the time of his new birth.

All of this was long ago and I am certainly not the most knowledgeable on references. No one had mentioned him so I have.

2009/4/27 15:23Profile
theopenlife

Re:

For general commentaries I prefer Henry and Calvin.

For the Gospel's, Ryle's "Expository Thought on the Gospels" is an easy choice. For the Psalms, Spurgeon's "Treasury of David."

For concordances, I am only familiar with Strong's and Young's. Normally Strong's is enough. For me, comparing scripture with scripture is usually sufficient.

2009/4/27 18:22Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
For the Gospel's, Ryle's "Expository Thought on the Gospels" is an easy choice.

I forgot about this one, but I really like what I have read from Ryle. I like Henry's devotional style, does Ryle have that same approach?

2009/4/27 18:43Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Ryle is exceedingly practical. His book "Holiness" is FIRST RATE.

2009/4/28 21:04Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Agreed. "Holiness" by Ryle was probably one of the first Puritan-esque books I laid hands on.

2009/4/28 21:11Profile

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Matthew Henry.

Krispy

Do you want to hear (read) something funny (sad)?! Last year while I attended my first year of seminary, our professor would not accept any paper with Henry as a reference. We were continuously 'encouraged' to use the more 'up to date' scholars, who were more 'learned' and 'wise'. :-(

It always struck me as strange, especially since I read and hear of the usefulness of his work.

By the way, thank you all for your advice. One must consider that I am in South Korea, where good ...anything... commentaries or concordances are rare, if not impossible to come by.

However, I am willing to buy something like a concordance if it will be of use.

Thank you again. Also, my wife has been doing much much better. We had an ultrasound the other day (we are able to as often as we like) and the stubby (9 week) sweetheart started dancing. We were tickled.

Blessings,
BrianMira

2009/4/28 21:30

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy