SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Has anyone done much studying on the tetragrammaton? (a couple unanswered questions still)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
anonymity

Has anyone done much studying on the tetragrammaton? (a couple unanswered questions still)

Has anyone done much studying on the tetragrammaton or the name of God YHWH?

I know the Jews didn't use His name but did they ever so we know at least how they pronounced it?

Doesn't exodus tell us what it means in saying "I am that I am"? If this is the case and it is rightly translated would it not be fair to say that whatever God said His name was the point was that He was who He was and therefore there is really no name to give to Him for He is all encompassing His name is mercy His name is Lord ect? If such is the case and love encompasses all attributes can we then say that Love is God's name?

2009/4/25 12:04Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Has anyone done much studying on the tetragrammaton?

HIS Name so sacred the Jews dare not speak it.
But GOD is known to those who seek HIM and His
glory and His Will by many names; covenant names
as El Shaddai{One Who Suffices} Elohim {Creator}
and Adonai {LORD}. Ann Spangler wrote a very
good book on the Names of GOD.

2009/4/25 13:02Profile

Re:

"laShem or HaShem", which means The Name.
They don't use the name the Messianic Gentiles use - "Yahweh" - I think they can be put off by that. Better to just say G-D, if you keep to some form of Christianized Judiasm. I wouldn't want to insult anyone who holds His Name as sacred as it is by my trying to use [i]their[/i] own language.

2009/4/25 14:25

Re: Has anyone done much studying on the tetragrammaton?

Many orthodox Jews will say the Name of God as such "HaShem" (Ha- the....Shem, Name)....you'll hear this, "Baruch(Bless) HaShem".

If there are any Gentile followers of Jesus, that want a really good glimpse into little seen (or understood) world of orthodox rabbinical Judaism in Israel, you might want to rent this delightful film, entitled, "Ushpizin" (The Guest) Written and starring orthodox Jews, it's a very good movie, you'll realize how close, yet so far they are, and you will see many many similarities, to how many us lead daily life.

In Jesus' love, neil

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqm_og7edvE]a clip from "Ushpizin"[/url]

2009/4/25 14:37
anonymity

Re:

All,

thanks for all your comments.

Natan,

thanks for the video link I will have to watch it it looks interesting. Once again I am thankful for your insightful info on the Jewish culture.

Other,

It seems crazy to me that the way that the name of God was written has been lost! I understand that it is out of reverence that it was not written or spoken but it also seems irreverent to lose it at the same time. I just wonder if there are some Jews or others who do not see it as irreverent to use and therefore stored it whether textually or by oral tradition or some rabbinical writing.

A couple of my questions are still out there. One being does the Name not mean "I am that I am" therefore it is more of an all encompassing title as opposed to a certain name since names are usually descriptive and to describe God would be a great task therefore instead of saying My name is Savior, or Mercy, He said I am that I am since He is many and all things good and I do not mean in a pantheistic sense?

2009/4/26 11:43Profile

Re:

You said "it seems crazy to me...."

Jesus came to seek and to save those that are lost - His lost sheep and commanded us to do the same - so I'd say we probably would do best to take the mind of Paul on this subject ....

1Co 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
1Co 9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
1Co 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
1Co 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
1Co 9:23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

Why 'offend' for our own thoughts/sakes and risk losing any by what we allow for ourselves or not allow for others. Romans 14.

2009/4/26 13:35
anonymity

Re:

JIG,

I think it is okay and well to not use God's name in reverence and that there is a place for that but I don't think we should never use it. So I think it is a wrong extreme therefore I think it crazy.

I don't think me thinking this will really stumble many people especially since I am mainly thinking it.

If you are talking about me wanting to use God's name then I think I will still use it whether it stumbles some or not. I mean if some false religion was stumbled when we said Jesus' name then I do not believe most of us would stop using His name.

At the same time I would be wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove and be sensitive to it.

So I think we have to make a discernment on what we should and should not do that will stumble people. Mainly I will do all that I "can" within conscience to not offend.

I would also note that trying to not offend people can lead to mega church type mentalities and should be watched out for though there is also good in many such concepts but that it a totally different subject.

I also think that one of the things that Jesus would do is rebuke some for making a tradition of men such as not using God's name because it is not under the law so even if I were to be under the law for the sake of the Jew I would not need to do this.

My main point though is that I would desire that the name of God not be lost that is my main qualm. I am still trying to figure out if this was really a name or an all encompassing title or one of His many names ect...

2009/4/26 18:43Profile

Re:

So you're concerned that we'll lose the Name of GOD. Interesting.
If you do a Search on this one 'name', you can read the hundred or so differing etymologies, then you can take your pick as so many others have done.
Since reverence etc is not a problem for you - His Name is not "JIG" neither.

2009/4/26 20:30
anonymity

Re:

Jesus is God,

Yeah I was concerned that the Name of God had been lost. Though I am not really sure it is specifically His name per se as I have explained. That is what everyone has been saying. I know people have deciphered it as Jehovah, Yahweh, ect. I am not sure in detail about the validity of all these so therefore I was posting to get some input. I didn't know there were hundreds. So, IF no one really knows for sure then it has been lost possibly.

IF you are saying that I am saying that I do not care about reverence I think you are being a bit extreme in interpreting my words. Also, IF you are saying that I think that is pretty off of you.

When I wrote JIG I was abbreviating your title to let you know I was writing to you. IF this is a problem for you as well I think you are once again being extreme I mean many often write H.S. for Holy Spirit.

2009/4/26 22:45Profile

Re:

No, it doesn't surprise me that you don't understand. Most cannot understand how Paul loved his fellow Jews enough to be willing to go to hell for their salvation.
I think we should end this conversation in His Love.
I wish you Peace in your Search on this one Name.

2009/4/27 12:24

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy