SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : He who eats the grapes of Sodom

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
loveyouall

India

He who eats the grapes of Sodom

(Charles Spurgeon)

"As long as he is a Nazirite, he must not eat anything that comes from the grapevine, not even the seeds or skins." Numbers 6:4

Nazirites had taken, among other vows, one which debarred them from the use of wine. In order that they might not violate the obligation, they were forbidden to drink the unfermented juice of grapes, nor even to eat either fresh or dried grapes. They were, in fact, to avoid even the appearance of evil.

Surely this is a lesson to the Lord's separated ones, teaching them to come away from sin in every form; to avoid not merely its grosser shapes—but even the appearance of evil. Strict walking is much despised in these days—but rest assured, dear reader, it is both the safest and the happiest course. He who yields a point or two to the world—is in fearful peril. He who eats the grapes of Sodom—will soon drink the wine of Gomorrah!

A little crevice in a large dyke may soon break open—so that a whole town is drowned. Worldly conformity, in any degree, is a snare to the soul, and makes it more and more liable to presumptuous sins.

Doubtful things—we need not doubt about; they are wrong to us!

Tempting things—we must not dally with—but flee from them with haste!

Careful walking may involve much self-denial—but it has pleasures of its own which are more than a sufficient recompense!

2009/4/24 0:21Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re: He who eats the grapes of Sodom

Quote:

loveyouall wrote:

(Charles Spurgeon)

Strict walking is much despised in these days—but rest assured, dear reader, it is both the safest and the happiest course. He who yields a point or two to the world—is in fearful peril. He who eats the grapes of Sodom—will soon drink the wine of Gomorrah!

Sobering thought. All satan needs is the slightest toehold. There is much today to press us into compromise, and yet our focus should not be primarilly on not compromising.

For years I think I focussed on the wrong order. The Bible says 'Resist satan and he will flee'. That is followed by 'Draw near to God and He will draw near to you'. I think I thought the path to drawing near to God was first that I resist satan.

It is not possible to resist him enough to then, as a result, be close to God. The order is to draw close to God first - the result of that is a better ability to resist.

Very good post.

2009/4/24 7:51Profile
loveyouall

India

Re:

The Breaker!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"The Breaker has gone up before them. He will bring you through the gates of your cities of captivity, back to your own land. Your King will lead you; the Lord Himself will guide you!" Micah 2:13

Inasmuch as Jesus has gone before us, things do not remain as they would have been, had He never passed that way. He has conquered every foe which has obstructed the way. Cheer up O faint-hearted warrior. Not only has Christ traveled the road--but He has slain your enemies upon life's road!

Do you dread sin? He has nailed it to His cross!

Do you fear death? He has been the death of death!

Are you afraid of hell? He has barred the gates of hell from being entered by any of His children; they shall never see the gulf of perdition!

Whatever foes may be before the Christian--they are all overcome!

There are lions--but their teeth are broken!

There are serpents--but their fangs are extracted!

There are rivers--but they are bridged or fordable!

There are flames--but we wear that matchless garment which renders us invulnerable to fire!

The Breaker, Christ--has taken away all the power that anything can have to hurt us. Well then, you may go safely and joyously along your journey, for all your enemies are conquered beforehand! What shall you do--but march on to take the prey? They are beaten, they are vanquished; all you have to do is to divide the spoil. You shall, it is true, often engage in combat; but your fight shall be with a vanquished foe! His head is broken! He may attempt to injure you--but his strength shall not be sufficient for his malicious design. Your victory shall be sure--and your treasure shall be beyond all count!

"Proclaim aloud the Savior's fame,
Who bears the Breaker's wondrous name;
Sweet name; and it befits Him well,
Who breaks down earth, sin, death, and hell!"

2009/4/24 11:23Profile
loveyouall

India

Re:

Communion with Jesus

(John Fawcett, "Christ Precious")

"Yes, He is very precious to you who believe!"
1 Peter 2:7

Christ is precious to those who believe. They desire to have more and more daily acquaintance with Him, and to grow in the sweet and powerful experience of communion with Him. Let us suppose the true Christian, in his retired moments, addressing God in such manner as the following:

'You O God are unchangeable in Your nature, glorious in Your essence, wonderful in Your perfections, wise in Your counsels, and holy in all Your works. It is my greatest good and highest happiness—to enjoy Your favor, and to behold Your glory. Permit me to say, with Your servant Moses, I beseech You, show me Your glory! Show me the glory of Your wisdom, Your holiness, Your power, Your grace, and Your mercy in Christ Jesus. This will give me a distaste for the gaudy vanities of the present world. I shall then look with indifference on all that, after which the covetous are eagerly panting. I shall then pity the ambitious, in their restless solicitude to make themselves great, and to obtain the veneration of their fellow worms. Your Divine beauty and infinite loveliness, as displayed in the glorious Mediator, will captivate my desires, inflame my love, and excite my joy and delight!

"A more intimate view of Your holiness will embitter every sin, and lead me, in deepest humiliation, to abhor myself, and repent as in dust and ashes. Give me such a sense of Your majesty—as may dispose my heart to reverence You supremely. Afford me such discoveries of Your omnipotence, Your love, and Your goodness—as may support my fainting heart under the toils of this warfare, and all the afflictions attending this state of mortality. Let the impressions which Your adorable perfections make upon me, be deep and powerful, so as to transform my soul into Your own amiable and holy likeness. Thus by beholding Your glory—may I be changed into Your image.

"It is habitual, and not transient communion with Jesus, the Lord of glory, which alone will satisfy my desires, and produce those happy effects which I seek—of nearer conformity to Him in knowledge, righteousness and true holiness. Communion with Christ will tend to—refine my understanding, rectify my soul, and purify my heart! Grant me, O Author of all good, by frequent converse with You, to have my affections spiritualized, that I may look with indifference on all other objects, and have my mind set on things above—not on earthly things. In fellowship with You, I shall find a source of delights, infinitely superior to anything that this world can afford. For Your loving-kindness is better than life itself. You are the inexhaustible treasury of blessedness. O Lord God Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in You!"

2009/4/24 21:23Profile
loveyouall

India

Re:

To Pass the Test - Teacher
Rev. Loren Miller

Why Does God Test Us?

James 1:12
12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
(NIV)

1 Cor 10:13
13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

No one likes Tests, First of all its because Tests means acceptance or rejection, Pass of fail, promotion, or stagnation. At stake is nothing less than our future, even our self worth.

When I was in school one of my favorite classes was P.E. It was NOT test time! I Hated Test time,
One of the biggest questions that I have heard is this… Why does God Test us?
1. A Test Prepares us for future achievement
2. A Test Proves us worthy of a crown
3. Testing Refines of impurities

Prov 17:3
3 The fining pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the LORD trieth the hearts.

So we can see here That the lord does test and try us, The question is this, How many can honestly say, I HAVE PASSED THE TEST
Paul talking in…

2 Tim 4:7-8
7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

We can all have the same crown that paul was talking about, but it don’t come unless we pass the test.
Deut 8:16
16 Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that he might humble thee, and that he might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end;

Deut 8:16
16 He gave you manna to eat in the desert, something your fathers had never known, to humble and to test you so that in the end it might go well with you.
(NIV)

God always pursues our highest good and our greatest blessing. God loves us enough to allow beneficial pain.
God knows that tests hurt, but in love he allows them for our good, at His own personal cost!
Isa 63:9
In all their distress He too was distressed …

1. A Test Prepares Us For Future Achievement

By passing tests we learn that God indeed answers prayer, that His promises stand truly reliable, that he is absolutely faithful. Until we place everything on the line and see God come through, Its only theory. But proven faith increases, preparing us for future service on a larger scale.
In secondary school, they don’t start you out with colloge exams. You have to pass the tests that are given then you work your way up to college exams.
1 Sam 17:34-37
34 And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father's sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock:
35 And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him.
36 Thy servant slew both the lion and the bear: and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be as one of them, seeing he hath defied the armies of the living God.
37 David said moreover, The LORD that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine. And Saul said unto David, Go, and the LORD be with thee.

It took the lion and the bear to prepare David for Goliath.

For believers every test is prep school.

2. A Test Proves Us Worthy Of A Crown

Worth must be proven. A Test signifies that God intends to crown us.
12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
(NIV)

3. Testing Refines Us Of Impurities

Isa 48:10
10 Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.

Isa 48:10
10 See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.
(NIV)

Testing does more than examine; it purifies.

The more valuable the article, the less we tolerate impurities. In dirt we expect to have worms, fungus, ants, maggots and bacteria. In God and Silver on the other hand we demand purity.

The metal smiths of biblical times refined gold and silver in furnaces drafted be air bellows. After it melted, the dross (or Junk) would float to the top and be skimmed off or blown away.

The purpose of tests or trials is not pain, but progress, not punishment but purity.

So why does God test us? Because in love he seeks our true prosperity.

Just as students benefit by knowing whether an exam will be essay or multiple choice, so do we by knowing types of spiritual tests.

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
(NIV)

Why Tests, Why Trials???

1 Peter 5:6-8

6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

If we are not ready we will not be able to withstand the adversary.
Tests will make us ready!

2009/4/24 23:41Profile
loveyouall

India

Re:

Surely something must be amiss with the scales!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"You are to have honest balances, honest weights, an honest dry measure, and an honest liquid measure; I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt." Leviticus 19:36

Weights, and scales, and measures—were to be all according to the standard of justice.

Surely no Christian will need to be reminded of this in his business, for if justice were banished from all the world beside—it should find a shelter in true Christian hearts!

There are, however, other scales and balances which weigh moral and spiritual things—and these often need examining. We will call in the Judge right now.

Those scales in which we weigh our own and other men's characters—are they quite accurate? Do we not turn our own ounces of goodness—into pounds; and other people's pounds of excellence—into ounces? See to just weights and measures here, Christian!

Those scales in which we measure our trials and troubles—are they according to standard? Paul, who had far more to suffer than we have—called his afflictions light. Yet we often consider our afflictions to be heavy! Surely something must be amiss with the scales! We must see to this matter, lest we get reported to the court above, for unjust dealing!

Those scales with which we measure our beliefs—are they quite fair? The precepts and doctrines should have the same weight with us as the promises—no more and no less! With many, one scale or the other is unfairly weighted. It is a grand matter to give just measure in God's truths. Christian, be careful here!

Those scales in which we estimate our obligations and responsibilities look rather small. When a rich man gives no more to the cause of God, than the poor contribute—is that an honest weight, an honest measure, a just balance?

Reader, we might lengthen the list—but we prefer to leave it as your day's work—to find out and destroy all unjust scales, balances, weights, and measures!

2009/4/25 11:53Profile
loveyouall

India

Re:

Sayings of William Tiptaft

Let worldly minds the world pursue,
It has no charms for me;
Once I admired its trifles too,
But grace has set me free!

"I have no stone to cast at the vilest of the vile. It is all of grace that I am made to differ!"

"If rich people only knew when they died--how their relations would scramble for their money, the worms for their bodies, and the devils for their souls--they would not be so anxious to save money!"

"If you were to go about telling people that you had an inheritance worth a million worlds, and yet were out of temper for a trifle--they would not believe you."

"We come into the world crying, we go through it complaining, and go out of it groaning!"

"Deliver us from everything that may entangle our affections and harden our hearts."

"Grant that we may hold the world with a loose hand."

"If I love money more than Christ, woe is me!"

"Grant that we may not sin cheaply."

"Make us more dead to the world, and separate in spirit from it."

"O Lord, keep our hearts, keep our eyes, keep our feet, and keep our tongues."

"Look upon those who mourn in Zion--put their tears into your bottle--listen to their sighs and groans."

"Grant Lord that we may be made right in doctrine, right in experience, and right in practice."

"Lord, teach us more what we are by nature, and what we are by grace."

"Look upon the unworthy worm before you. Let him be as your mouth in separating the precious from the vile. Grant that he may rightly divide the word of truth and rightly divide the hearers. Grant that he may exalt the Savior and lay the sinner low."

"If the way to heaven is so narrow, and so few find it, what will become of those who never seek it?"

"Are you ready to shake hands with death?"

"Have you ever esteemed it a mercy, that you are out of hell?"

"Have you ever stood on the same plot of ground with the publican, crying--God be merciful to me a sinner?"

"Is Christ the one thing needful? Are you willing to pluck out right-eye sins, and cut off right-hand sins?"

"Has your religion cost you anything? If it has cost you nothing, it is worth nothing."

"Have you ever experienced the new birth? If not, dying in your present state--to hell you must go."

"Six feet by two-and-a-half is all the ground that the richest man in England will shortly occupy."

"If not washed in Christ's blood and clothed in his righteousness, no heaven for you, no heaven for me."

"How awful to die out of Christ! How blessed to die in Christ!"

"If I preach to please men, I am not the servant of Christ; and woe unto me, if I preach not the gospel!"

"If you have one grain of grace, you must die to know how rich you are."

"Sin is of a defiling nature. You cannot touch pitch and not be defiled."

"Sinning will stop praying; or praying will stop sinning."

"When the Lord finds his rod, his people find their knees."

"Show me a man's books and show me a man's companions--and I will tell you what sort of a man he is."

"Children take more notice of what their parents do, than what they say. Actions speak louder than words."

"We are not going to jump out of Delilah's lap into Abraham's bosom."

"I used to try to reconcile creature comforts and spiritual consolations. We cannot hold the world in one hand and Christ in the other. We cannot serve God and mammon."

"Dead fish go with the stream, living ones against it."

"Real religion is to be severed from the world, to be married to Christ, and to bring forth fruit unto God."

"O what a narrow way is that which leads to life!"

"Better to live in a hovel with a grain of grace, than to live in a palace without it; for what would the palace avail you in a thousand years?"

"Fit or not fit--we must all die, and we know not how soon. As death leaves us, the judgment must find us."

"What sorrow, troubles, and afflictions attend all the followers of the Lamb!"

"The rougher the file--the less the rust."

"No cross, no crown!"

"We need restraining grace, as well as saving grace."

"If you are contented with a sound creed and a little morality in your lives, you are in an awful state. I would not like to die in your state for a thousand worlds."

"If a man preaches free will how pleased men will be; but if he preaches free grace how offended they are. It is the truth which gives offence."

"Take heed and beware of covetousness. The Lord saw the need of doubly warning against that besetting sin."

"If this world with its fading pleasures is so much admired, what must heaven be, which God praises?"

"What a mercy to be made right in doctrine, right in experience, and right in practice!"

"How many who died last century are in hell--who never committed half the sins some of you have!"

"If you had a thousand crowns you should put them all on the head of Christ! And if you had a thousand tongues they should all sing his praise, for he is worthy!"

2009/4/25 22:13Profile
loveyouall

India

Re:

They were not carried on beds of ease to heaven!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Woe is me—that I dwell among these scoundrels of Meshech! It pains me to live with these people from Kedar!" Psalm 120:5

As a Christian, you have to live in the midst of an ungodly world, and it is of little use for you to cry, "Woe is me!"

Jesus did not pray, "O that you should be taken out of the world!" And what He did not pray for—you need not desire! Better far in the Lord's strength—to meet the difficulty, and glorify Him in it.

The enemy is ever on the watch to detect inconsistency in your conduct; be therefore very holy. Remember that the eyes of all are upon you—and that more is expected from you, than from others! Strive to give no occasion for blame. Like Daniel, let your godliness and piety be the only faults which they can discover in you.

Seek to be useful—as well as consistent. Perhaps you think, "If I were in a more favorable position, I might be able to serve the Lord's cause. But I cannot do any good where I am!" But the worse the people are among whom you live—the more need they have of your exertions! If they are crooked—the more necessity that you should set them straight! If they are perverse—the more need have you to turn their proud hearts to the truth. Where should the physician be—but where there are many sick? Where is honor to be won by the soldier—but in the hottest fire of the battle?

When weary of the strife and sin which meets you on every hand—consider that all the saints have endured the same trial! They were not carried on beds of ease to heaven—and you must not expect to travel more easily than they! They had to hazard their lives unto the death, in the midst of the battlefield—and you will not be crowned—until you also have endured hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. Therefore, "Be courageous! Be strong!" 1 Corinthians 16:13

2009/4/26 10:33Profile
loveyouall

India

Re:

God has two hedges

(Matthew Mead, "The Power of Grace
in Weaning the Heart from the World")

God is never better to us—than when the creature is most bitter to us!

Thus God dealt with Israel, "She said, 'I will go after my lovers, who give me my food and my water, my wool and my linen, my oil and my drink.' Therefore I will hedge up her path with thorns; I will wall her in—so that she cannot find her way. She will chase after her lovers but not catch them; she will look for them but not find them. Then she will say, 'I will go back to my husband as at first, for then I was better off than now.'" Hosea 2:6-8.

God has two hedges which the Scripture takes notice of:

1. The hedge of his protection, which you read of Job 1:10, "Haven't You placed a hedge around him, his household, and everything he owns?"
2. The hedge of affliction, which you read of here: "I will hedge up her path with thorns."

Now the Lord make use of both these hedges:

The hedge of protection—is to keep His people from danger.
The hedge of affliction—is to stop His people from wandering.

The hedge of protection—is to keep them in God's way.
The hedge of affliction—is to keep them out of sin's way.

The hedge of protection—is to keep them from suffering.
The hedge of affliction—is to keep then from sinning,
and to put them upon returning to God.

So it was with Israel here—when God had hedged up her way, that she could not find her paths, nor overtake her lovers—then she cries out, "I will go back to my husband as at first, for then I was better off than now!"

It is a great mercy for God to wean a soul from the world; for it never suffers greater—than when it forsakes God to live upon the creature! "Those who cling to lying vanities—turn their backs on all God's mercies!" Jonah 2:8. It is forsaking the living fountain—to quench our thirst from a broken cistern! Jeremiah 2:13.

When the Lord weans a soul from the world—He embitters the world to the soul; either by some affliction, or by some disappointment in the creature—which makes the soul look out for the more pure and lasting satisfactions, which are in Christ.

2009/4/27 9:59Profile
loveyouall

India

Re:

True friendship is seen through the heart not through the eyes
• Many people will walk through our lives, but few will leave footprints on our hearts
• Your friend is the one who knows all about you and still likes you
• The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him your friend
• A friend is someone who sees through you and still enjoys the view.

• A friend loveth at all times
• Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

• Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

2009/4/28 2:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy