SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Pray me through the fire...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Pray me through the fire...

Dear Saints,

Please be in deep prayer for me. As many of you may recall, around Christmas time I suffered a broken engagement with my fiance. We parted on good terms, but needless to say, after 4 years of being together, my heart was deeply broken. Indeed, my heart is still broken. Though I have been pretty good for a couple months now, things that have come up this week centering around my former relationship have caused powerful emotions to resurge. I've cried every night since Friday or Saturday.

This past year has been very very challenging and trying to me. Everything from getting adjusted to my job first full-time job, to taking on an additional part-time job to make ends meet, to moving out on my own, to the disappointment I felt not being chosen for a ministry opportunity that I really longed for, along with what I considered some great highs in the relationship I was in, along with the crushing breakup. I know God will turn it to good, and believe He is molding me into the "man" he wants me to become. Indeed, that is the thing I've prayed for so badly, that I might truly become a "father of faith" in the fullest sense of the term, and have always known that prayer request would be answered with fire and suffering. Indeed, I remember a sermon my brother preached when I last visited him in Chicago when I was 19 or 20 (I'm 26 presently). In the sermon he said something to the effect, "When you dared to pray 'God, I'll go anywhere you want me to go, and be whatever you want me to be,' God heard you and takes you seriously, so why are we so surprised when He answers?"

God told me last year change was coming in my life, but He also told me that I'd be ok through it all. I don't pretend to know what's around the next corner in my journey. Right now I just consider myself along for the ride, wherever the Lord may go. Just pray for me though. I really need a breakthrough, and special touch from the Lord.

I'm having a very hard time.

2009/4/8 23:09Profile
Joshh

Re: Pray me through the fire...

I'm praying Jimmy

2009/4/8 23:19Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

I stand with you my brother.

2009/4/8 23:35Profile

Dear Brother - that prayer over your own life came from Him. Even our best desires, prayers, messages, etc. come from Him. But you already knew that. ;-)
He's squeezing out the oil from you the olive alrighty - as HE is with all of us who have prayed similar prayers. I prayed when I first got saved to be poured out like a drink offering and to die to me - "no matter the cost". Oh my - thirty something years later - HE has taken all I prayed very seriously because He is the Author of all such prayers. Squeezed to the pulp - "For HIS Glory Only!" is our cry. Eyes no longer on or for 'self' AT ALL.

Your area will need you when things 'hit'.

Like Sampson - you'll go out in a blaze of Glory for HIM. Be patient. You surely will be needed, to be a balast of peace in the midst of the storm ... them asking you the reason for your hope.

Besides, you've been writing some Good things during all of this hardship. :-)

Pray one for another - to His Glory alone.
Thank you!

2009/4/8 23:45
Compton

Re:

We're with you Jimmy. :)

2009/4/9 0:35Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Thank you very much for your prayers, and especially the wisdom you provided Jesus-Is-God. I like your metaphor of a squeezed olive, I'll have to remember that... and I'm sure I will at least in the immediate future.

As Paul said, death works in us so life might work in somebody else. Ron Bailey has a good thought about "vicarious suffering" on his blog that is definitely worth checking out.

http://biblebasesecondthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/03/vicarious-suffering.html

2009/4/9 6:16Profile
MJones

Missouri

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:

God told me last year change was coming in my life, but He also told me that I'd be ok through it all.

Jimmy,

Whatever you do, don't forget the words you have written here. I had a similar warning a couple of years ago. Tough period, but what He said, He has done. Satan will do all to get you to doubt what God told you. He's pretty convincing. His lies are easy to believe.

If you have thoughts that are contrary to what God told you on the front end, know that satan is in there somewhere.

If nothing else, I learned this lesson: satan has his lies to distract us from God's truth. If we listen to them, he has won our faith - we have believed a lie. We have to physically take the time to go before God to give Him a chance to remind of His truth. If we will, He will. When He does, it dispells satan's lies. It reestablishes peace.

Sorry for your trouble. I know it is gut wrenching. Even if you do what I've said, it will still be gut wrenching. The only consolation in it all is that it provides an opportunity to find God as no other opportunity affords.

Keep digging,

Mike

2009/4/9 7:59Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Mike,

Thank you for your words. Indeed, that promise is what I keep holding on to. At first I saw that word from the Lord through rose-colored-glasses. I thought it meant something wonderful was just around the corner, though, knowing the Lord, I knew it might mean some of the things I've had to go through. Things were looking good, as a lot of what I had set out to accomplish did come to pass, so, I thought more good stuff was immediately in store. Generally I try to be a pretty optimistic guy, so I was hoping more immediate blessing instead of pain.

But as I'm always reminded, God's pattern is death before resurrection. That is what Hebrews 11-12:1-4 is all about. Of course, as the Psalm says, sorrow is but for the night and joy comes in the morning. So indeed, I hold on and put on the helmet of salvation and cling to the shield of faith so that I might quinch the fiery darts of the enemy, battling with the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

"How?" "When?" and "Can I?" are questions the enemy is using to to try to drag me down right now. He uses "how?" to try and cause me to doubt the strong arm of the Lord. He uses "when?" to make me think the promise is unattainable, and always forever and ever away. He uses "Can I?" to try and keep me from even pressing towards the mark.

But I believe God, not the devil.

2009/4/9 8:31Profile
growingholly

Re:

a good plan.

and also, let us destroy speculations...we have heard so much in our culture that blessings and discipline are different things...people talk a lot about "blessings", i.e. positive, happy things, and that the Lord's discipline is more of the hard stuff. but i belive fully that they are one and the same. can you see the discipline as the blessing? (heb 12:11) does it bless you to know that He loves you so much He willing to squeeze the oil from you? i know that it does bless you, dear one. He has to often tear violently away the things that He demands we give up for Him, [i]so that [/i] He can show us just how powerful His comforting love can be. i believe that i understand some of your feelings, they are tough for sure. may you be blessed with the peaceful fruit of righteousness. may you be blessed with Him.
:)
h

2009/4/9 9:24Profile

Re:

hello Jimmy,

This morning I read some verses in the Psalm 66 that reassured what I already knew...that is, God allows and brings trials into our lives for the purpose of proving and purifying us.

"O bless our God, ye people, and make the voice of his praise to be heard:
Which holdeth our soul in life, and suffereth not our feet to be moved.
[b]For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us, as silver is tried.
Thou broughtest us into the net; thou laidst affliction upon our loins.
Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water: but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place[/b]." Psalm 66:8-12

And the hymn, God Leads Along, also came to mind,

In shady, green pastures, so rich and so sweet,
God leads His dear children along;
Where the water’s cool flow bathes the weary one’s feet,
God leads His dear children along.

Refrain

[i]Some through the waters, some through the flood,
Some through the fire, but all through the blood;
Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song,
In the night season and all the day long.[/i]

Sometimes on the mount where the sun shines so bright,
God leads His dear children along;