SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do you sin as much as you know how to sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
prof

on the Mississippi

Do you sin as much as you know how to sin?

Do you sin as much as you know how to sin? This question grew our of a study of the excellent book, "The Mind of Christ" by Dr. T. W. Hunt.

In the context of an intentional pursuit of Christ-likeness, this counter-question came to mind. Do you sin as much as you know how to sin? If not, why not?

Why do you NOT choose to sin?

2009/3/16 23:24Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: Do you sin as much as you know how to sin?

God is working is us both to will (to desire) and to do (to carry out) his good pleasure. Philippians 2:13.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/3/16 23:45Profile
MJones

Missouri

Quote:

prof wrote:
Do you sin as much as you know how to sin? If not, why not?

As I have thought about this question, I have seen two things: there is the aspect of choice (in some cases I choose to not sin) and the aspect of new life which dispells sin.

I remember an illustration about trees that I think applies. Some trees lose their leaves in the fall, others hang on all winter. For them, it takes the new life of spring and the new leaves it brings to force out the old.

2009/3/20 8:05Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Paris Reidhead once stated that temptation is an appeal to the intellect to fulfill a good desire in a bad way. We all have natural desires. We have a desire to eat and sleep. This is natural. We have a desire to rule as God gave Adam dominion over the earth. This is natural. We have a desire to learn, to know and to experience. This is natural. We have a desire for procreation, to replenish the earth. This is natural. These and many others are all good and natural desires.

When we talk about sin we are talking about two things:

1) sin(s) the fruit (acts of omission and commission)

2) Sin the 'root'. (the consequence of the fall and man's inherited sinful nature) By one man [u]S[/u]in 'entered'.... This is that dreadful nature of Satan to rebel against God's authority for rebellions sake. To refuse to be told what to do. It is 'I' on the throne instead of God.

When a believer is born again and baptized into Jesus Christ we gain a new history. We are no longer 'in' Adam we are 'in' Christ. And Christ's nature was to do the will of the Father. This, for the born again, is their NEW nature. The nature of God manifest through the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. This is just for starters...

But still yet we are temptable. Why? We still have natural desires. We have 'desire' (lust) and when this lust is met with a sinful means of fulfilling itself then the result is sin and the end is death. This is why we have to be on guard. Our natural desires do not discriminate between what is good and what is evil- this is why our senses have to be exercised. We know what is good and what is evil based upon the commandments of God. This enables us to pick what is good and discard what is evil. It becomes a matter of decision.

The benefit of being born again is that we are FREE from the law of Sin. No longer are we gratified by sinning itself. We may be 'gratified' by sin in the sense that we fulfill a natural desire, but we do NOT have this nature to sin as our 'old father' the devil. Out 'meat' (gratification and sustenance) is to do the will of the Father. A sinner is gratified and fulfilled by the rebellion of sin. That's what drives them.

So a true Christian does not desire to sin. They may desire to fulfill their natural needs and desires and may be tempted to do that in a wrong and sinful way, but they do not desire to sin for the rebellion it provides. Their new nature has [u]no[/u] appetite for sinning.

2009/3/20 9:29Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Superb post, Robert, all the way through.

2009/3/20 9:34Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

That is why John can say in the same epistle;

1 John 1:1-10 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

And;

1 John 5:3-14 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

The first; "if any man commit a sin".

The Second; "God is faithful and just"

Because of the Christ in us. 1 John 2:27-29 But the anointing which ye have received of Him (Jesus sending the Holy Spirit) abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him. (even Jesus Christ) And now, little children, abide in Him; (Jesus Christ) that, when He shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before Him at His (Jesus Christ) coming. If ye know that He is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of Him.

His Seed remaineth in you and His Seed cannot sin.

1 John 3:9-10 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

In Christ: Phillip

2009/3/20 15:24Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:
Superb post, Robert, all the way through.

I second that.

2009/3/20 17:27Profile
clintstone

tulsa,ok.

Re:

I whole heartedly do not agree that roberts post was good all the way through. I do not for one iota see from scripture where there is a root called Sin , then out of this physical root of Sin , commit sins , this is rubbish and a poor exsplaination of our natures and our relation to Sin and how we come to be sinners AFTER WE ARE BORN ,, as the bible says ... i agree with everything in the post except the root being Sin itself. the root is the outcome of sin and is not sin in regards to us being born guilty and born sinful .

2009/3/20 21:16Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I do not for one iota see from scripture where there is a root of called Sin , then out of this physical root of Sin we out of it commit sins , this is rubbish and a poor exsplaination of our natures and our relation to Sin and how we come to be sinners AFTER WE ARE BORN as the bible says ...

Well, we must be reading two different books then...or the same book through two different lenses.

2009/3/20 21:24Profile
clintstone

tulsa,ok.

Re:

My initial reply was terrible , so i came back and edited my post , to better and more respectfully share my thoughts about the root , the rest of roberts post was good and true . Clint

2009/3/20 21:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy