SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : AP: "More Americans say they have no religion"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

AP: "More Americans say they have no religion"

[b]More Americans say they have no religion[/b]
By RACHEL ZOLL
AP Religion Writer
Mon Mar 9, 12:14 am ET

A wide-ranging study on American religious life found that the Roman Catholic population has been shifting out o of the Northeast to the Southwest, the percentage of Christians in the nation has declined and more people say they have no religion at all.

Fifteen percent of respondents said they had no religion, an increase from 14.2 percent in 2001 and 8.2 percent in 1990, according to the American Religious Identification Survey.

Northern New England surpassed the Pacific Northwest as the least religious region, with Vermont reporting the highest share of those claiming no religion, at 34 percent. Still, the study found that the numbers of Americans with no religion rose in every state.

"No other religious bloc has kept such a pace in every state," the study's authors said.

In the Northeast, self-identified Catholics made up 36 percent of adults last year, down from 43 percent in 1990. At the same time, however, Catholics grew to about one-third of the adult population in California and Texas, and one-quarter of Floridians, largely due to Latino immigration, according to the research.

Nationally, Catholics remain the largest religious group, with 57 million people saying they belong to the church. The tradition gained 11 million followers since 1990, but its share of the population fell by about a percentage point to 25 percent.

Christians who aren't Catholic also are a declining segment of the country.

In 2008, Christians comprised 76 percent of U.S. adults, compared to about 77 percent in 2001 and about 86 percent in 1990. Researchers said the dwindling ranks of mainline Protestants, including Methodists, Lutherans and Episcopalians, largely explains the shift. Over the last seven years, mainline Protestants dropped from just over 17 percent to 12.9 percent of the population.

The report from The Program on Public Values at Trinity College in Hartford, Conn., surveyed 54,461 adults in English or Spanish from February through November of last year. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 0.5 percentage points. The findings are part of a series of studies on American religion by the program that will later look more closely at reasons behind the trends.

The current survey, being released Monday, found traditional organized religion playing less of a role in many lives. Thirty percent of married couples did not have a religious wedding ceremony and 27 percent of respondents said they did not want a religious funeral.

About 12 percent of Americans believe in a higher power but not the personal God at the core of monotheistic faiths. And, since 1990, a slightly greater share of respondents — 1.2 percent — said they were part of new religious movements, including Scientology, Wicca and Santeria.

The study also found signs of a growing influence of churches that either don't belong to a denomination or play down their membership in a religious group.

Respondents who called themselves "non-denominational Christian" grew from 0.1 percent in 1990 to 3.5 percent last year. Congregations that most often use the term are megachurches considered "seeker sensitive." They use rock style music and less structured prayer to attract people who don't usually attend church. Researchers also found a small increase in those who prefer being called evangelical or born-again, rather than claim membership in a denomination.

Evangelical or born-again Americans make up 34 percent of all American adults and 45 percent of all Christians and Catholics, the study found. Researchers found that 18 percent of Catholics consider themselves born-again or evangelical, and nearly 39 percent of mainline Protestants prefer those labels. Many mainline Protestant groups are riven by conflict over how they should interpret what the Bible says about gay relationships, salvation and other issues.

The percentage of Pentecostals remained mostly steady since 1990 at 3.5 percent, a surprising finding considering the dramatic spread of the tradition worldwide. Pentecostals are known for a spirited form of Christianity that includes speaking in tongues and a belief in modern-day miracles.

Mormon numbers also held steady over the period at 1.4 percent of the population, while the number of Jews who described themselves as religiously observant continued to drop, from 1.8 percent in 1990 to 1.2 percent, or 2.7 million people, last year. Researchers plan a broader survey on people who consider themselves culturally Jewish but aren't religious.

The study found that the percentage of Americans who identified themselves as Muslim grew to 0.6 percent of the population, while growth in Eastern religions such as Buddhism slightly slowed.

Survey results: http://www.americanreligionsurvey-aris.org/

Click [url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090309/ap_on_re/rel_religious_america]HERE[/url] to read the full article.

:-(

2009/3/9 12:45Profile

Re: AP: "More Americans say they have no religion"

I understand that emoticon.
I suppose that may be why they've been able to lift the funding on international abortion education and now the stem cell research ban lifted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7929690.stm

Truly time to reckon-up for sure that we'll always be the ever increasing minority.

2009/3/9 16:25
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

i posted the same study in the thread i started about Bill Mahr's documentary.

These are grim times. Perhaps God is beginning to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

2009/3/9 16:51Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

It is interesting that famous, celebrity atheists are beginning to almost "evangelize" in the name of their atheism. Bill Mahr is just one of these "evangelists" for atheism. The most interesting thing is that their attacks are pretty much limited to one "religion" -- Christianity.

These evangelists for atheism won't dare mock Muhammed (whose teaching, lifestyle and followers provide plenty of obvious ammunition). They won't mock Buddha, Confucius, a Hindu god or any other religious figure. They reserve their hate, ridicule and indignation for our Lord Jesus Christ.

These are signs of the times. Christianity is attacked by other religions...and those who suppose themselves to be atheists. Even the new President almost gleefully announced that America "[i]is no longer a Christian nation[/i]" but "[i]a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, and a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers[/i]." I know people in the area that I live who are outspoken with their excitement that Obama might "help this nation might lose every hint of its Christian past."

People...we need a revival! We need to be desperate for a revival! This nation is quickly going to Hell in a handbasket. We don't need a catastrophe to verify this...it is happening under our very noses! We have national leaders openly happy about the fall of Christianity in this nation! Even if you don't believe that this nation ever was authentically "Christian" or not -- there is evil in glee behind these thoughts! Just today, the President announced that he will "reverse" the previous administration's prohibition on using stem cells stolen from the bodies of aborted babies for use in research.

Yet even this act of pure EVIL is not the worst sign of the times. We have a segment in our society who are FIGHTING to diminish Jesus Christ! Hollywood makes films that mock Christ or question the life of Jesus Christ (such as Dan Brown's [i]The DaVinci Code[/i] and the upcoming Tom Hanks film [i]Angels and Demons[/i]). We have a president who wants to dictate what is right and wrong in regard to abortion, homosexuality, etc... We have local governments following his example and increasingly pressing down on religious freedom.

We need a revival. We need to be more desperate in our prayers. We need to be more vigilant with our preaching. We need to be more faithful in our giving...and our example to this fallen world. The night is coming...but the fields are white unto harvest.

2009/3/9 17:28Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Jesus-is-GOD...

This sort of stem cell research is effectively FRANKENSTEIN science. They literally harvest these cells from the dead bodies of aborted children.

We need revival. We need Jesus.

:-(

2009/3/10 20:16Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Brother and Sisters,

We need a revival of true Christianity! It is our only hope. May God become jealous for His Name and Testimony again in the earth!

2009/3/10 20:19Profile

Re:

Quote:
We need a revival. We need to be more desperate in our prayers. We need to be more vigilant with our preaching. We need to be more faithful in our giving...and our example to this fallen world. The night is coming...but the fields are white unto harvest.

Amen

2009/3/10 20:19
rreighe

Re:

Be ready! with unconditional love towards the Lord! weather is about to storm up, right now we are in just high winds, it may die down here and there but the over all storm is going to increase throught, here about about. preach with love and compasion, yes you may need to emphasise a few things about the end, but it would be more rewarding for the ones you are leading to Christ to teach more about his love and mercy rather than his judgement and turmoil he may release very soon to this world.

stay with the lord! no matter how bad it may get in the world, we live here roughly 70 years, it will all be but a memory one day when we are in heavan chillen with our LORD JESUS CHRIST! HIS FATHER, our Father, and his wholly HOLY SPIRIT! preach with love, preach with kindness... preach with enthusiasm. oh my Lord we need enthusiasm. but if you dont know what you are preaching than you would be better to just keep your mouth shut. because it would be better for you to leave them alone for a subject than to accedently steer them in a wrong direction. so prepare! read what God has given us! keep tight! steadfast! and diligent the enemy knows his time is closing up to what will one day be an abrubt halt- in a temporary lake of blood waist feet high.... then next in the eternal lake of fire form head to toe all the way to the innermost layers of the spirit and the soul.

oh how amazing it will be to be able to be like "hey my Lord, we made it!" and him say "good job, you stayed with me. here you go." i dont know if those will be his exact words just so you know but yeah...

be ready. for much stuff.

in the name we love to say.. JEsus.

allan.

2009/3/10 23:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy