SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Who is John Piper and Mark Driscoll?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
I remember a similar rant from a Todd Bentley follower on this forum

Brother there is no comparing Driscoll to Bentley. I am not one to put one man on a platform at all, and I knew that someone would make a comment similar to yours once I wrote what I wrote.

The Jesus that is preached by Driscoll is the Jesus of the Bible, the Jesus that is preached by Bentley is a figment of his imagination along with the angel he supposedly encountered.

If somebody doesn't like Driscoll fine, he's not for everyone but God has many tools for many people we are not all the same nor are we all designed to reach the same types of people.

Again it is imperative that we listen for the Jesus of the messenger and what it is that this Jesus is doing. If He is only coming to be an example of how to live, or as one to only bless us, then that is not the Jesus of Scripture. If the Jesus being presented is the one who comes, dies, and rises from the grave, then that Jesus is the Jesus of the Scriptures.

I just think it is dangerous to write a person off from what others say. For example, many were probably turned of to Piper and Driscoll because of Greg's comment at the beginning(Five point Calvinists). But what does that have to do with anything? Does that change the Gospel they preach,does it change the Jesus being declared(before saying yes please think about it).

It's sad that we can't even bother to pray for these guys, but are so quick to rip into them because of things we don't like about them that have nothing to do with their message.

2009/3/5 19:34Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Brother fuehrerbe21,

I am glad we agree on God's sovereignty, that will make it a little easier on both of us ;)

Quote:
You know, I was trying really hard to think of an example in scripture where someone was unable to overcome a situation but failed to think of one

Allow me to post a couple Scriptures that show man's inability to get himself out of a trial and God's glorious deliverance-

2Ch 20:12 O our God, will you not execute judgment on them? For [b]we are powerless[/b] against this great horde that is coming against us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you."

I don't think it is stretching it to suggest that Jehoshaphat knew this trial could not be met with humans strength and that without God's intervention they would perish.

1Ki 3:7 And now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of David my father, although I am but a little child. I do not know how to go out or come in.

Here Solomon is admitting that he is in a trial that he cannot get himself out of or maneuver through without God's intervention.

That is where I am coming from. I don't believe that God doesn't allow us to be put in situations that do not push beyond ourselves. In fact I know that He often does put us in those situations for the process of sanctification to be worked out.

Ultimately, yes He will not leave in the fiery trial to destroy us, but He will allow us to pass through some pretty hairy situations so we see that He is our all.

2009/3/5 19:51Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

I think I have discovered the differnece in understanding. See, I would agree that God would put us in a situation that we can't get out of because we can't do anything in our own power.

But, as a believer, I would say that God will deliver us through. As you've said, it doesn't mean thing will be easy. I disagree with all the various teachings out there that say that being a Christian means things get easier.

As I said in my last post, if God is incapable of doing something, then he is not really God. This might really be an issue of semantics.

I would say that even in the examples given, these men were not destroyed. They realized they could do nothing apart from God.

2009/3/6 16:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy