SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hebrews ch.6 verse 9, what do you think it means

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Hebrews ch.6 verse 9, what do you think it means

1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

2Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

3And this will we do, if God permit.

4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

7For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:

8But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

9But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

2009/3/1 19:02
passerby

Re: Hebrews ch.6 verse 9, what do you think it means

Quote:
9But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

Paul was saying that even though he was warning them very strongly against falling away, he was confident of their firm standing in the Lord.

God is able to keep His sheeps, warnings like these are just part of His design to keep us. If any one doubts, be encouraged that God will keep us to the end, "Phi 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Although there is a natural possibility that saints may fall away, in reality as God had declared it, not one of His sheep will be lost.

"Joh 10:27-28. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

2009/3/1 20:22Profile
wtninChrist

Muscle Shoals, AL

Re:

could it be that He is talking about, the one who tasted as the ones who never was saved? He tested or tasted,but spit it out. He rejected Christ and the Spirit. Never to return(we see this in verse 8 )but sit his doom.In verse 8 we see the one who did not reject the Spirits call and he bring forth fruit to God.

2009/3/1 21:58Profile

Re:

Those first 8 verses were terrifying until my friend ryan pointed out verse 9, then i studied it more too and i came to the conclusion that the truly born again has been born of an incorruptible seed and that can't be broken. I still have my fears in general about this topic but it seems evidence talks about the sheep never losing their place.

2009/3/2 0:54

Re:

losing salvation if possible seems to be impossible to get back according to scripture.

2009/3/2 0:56
int3grity

If you keep reading fron Hebrews 6:4-6 (scary part)on to verses 7-8 you will see it references and parallels JESUS' words in Matthew 7:16-19 about the cofessors of CHRIST who bear bad fruit being thrown into the fire. Compare those passages.

Then in Matthew 7:23 JESUS says, "I NEVER KNEW YOU" - in other words it is a reference to those who were not saved despite their profession ("Lord, Lord") of faith. now go back and keep reading the next verse, Hebrews 6:9- "we are confident of BETTER THINGS in your case-things that accompany SALVATION.

So it is clear that Hebrews 6:4-6 is a reference to false converts. Those who were ONCE (not are) enlightened, TASTED (not partaken of) the Heavenly gift, SHARED (by virtue of being in the fellowship of believers) in the Holy Spirit, TASTED the goodness of the Word and the powers of the coming age but not SAVED since if they were saved and then lost then CHRIST would have to be re-crucified in order to re-save them.

2009/3/2 2:32Profile

Re:

god bless you integrity, i completely agree.

2009/3/2 4:46
passerby

Re:

I have this nagging question though, if those were not true believers before then why this:

6"If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame".

a. do the unconverted fall away
b. had the unconverted already repented

Before someone think otherwise, I would like everyone to know that I firmly believe in the 'Doctrine of Perseverance of the Saints'.

2009/3/2 21:41Profile
wtninChrist

Muscle Shoals, AL

Re:

They were enlighten, but were not truly converted. they tasted the heavenly gift of Chirst, but did not swalllow Him and have Him as their own. They were made partakers of the Holy Spirit; the Spirit of God was calling on their lives, but they did not yield to it fully. They tasted the good Word of God, the teaching of the gospel and was that it was good, but was not saved. They experienced the power of the gospel and put it on trail. To say; I will put this under consideration, I will see what I think about this. so as to test the gospel with their own proud arrogance. With full knomledge of the gospel they reject it and harden their hearts. In this concluding the opposite of the truth of Christ and being in ageement that he should be crucified. This is the falling away of the unconverted.

2009/3/3 21:33Profile
stephent

Boston, Ma.

For a long time it was taught to me that verses 4-8 were refering to those who were saved and lost it. After some time I've come to reject that teaching. It is a fact that those of verses 4-6 cannot be brought back to repentance, it's a fact because that's what the text says. But those of verses 4-8 are not the same as those of verse 9. I can't give you the greek or any of that, but the distinction between the two groups are obvious and undenyable. Praise God that when it comes to the people of verse 9 better things are always said! :-)

2009/3/4 14:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy