SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Football Famine

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Football Famine

OK OK folks, I know this isnt a very "spiritual" post, but it's ok to lighten up a little from time to time from all the seriousness of this forum.

Most of you know that football is a big part of my life. When I was a young buck I played from the time I was 7 yrs old all the way to my senior yr in HS... linebacker, defense end, tight end on offense... and full back when we needed 2 yards for a 1st down. And now that I'm old and put out to pasture, I coach... and I love it. And my two older boys are playing the same positions I did. The only difference is they are now both 1" taller than me... and they are only 13 and 14 yrs old! Wait till they hit their growth spurt!

Anyway, I've posted things on here from time to time written by Charlie Daniels (yes, of 'Devil Went Down To Georgia' fame), and it's generally got something to do about his faith, or the direction of America.

This time, he hit a chord with me... and I loved this article because it is so much what I was feeling yesterday afternoon. Folks like Mike (crsschk) and Mr. Bill I'm sure can identify.

Anyway, for those who want something a little different to read... enjoy...

Krispy

[b]Football Famine[/b]
[i]by Charlie Daniels
Mt. Juliet, Tennessee

I truly love the Super Bowl and I thought that this year's was one of the best ever.

The only thing I don't like about the Super Bowl is that it signals the end of the season. I know, I know, there's the Pro Bowl, but it's not the same. It actually don't mean anything except to honor the best players of the year by giving them a trip to Hawaii.

No more Monday Night Football, no more Thursday Night Football, no more Sunday doubleheaders or Saturday college games of the week. It's a sad state of affairs.

Actually I suffer at the end of every season with P.F.S., or Post Football Syndrome, and I've got the feeling that I'm not alone.

When you stop and think about it, football comes easing in with the preseason , when they're really not serious, just trying out the rookies and protecting the stars, only letting them play a quarter or so.

In the eyes of a real dyed in the wool fan it's a little aggravating to see your team take the first string out when you know they coulda won if they'd just left them in for another series of downs.

But we just have to suck it up and wait until next month when the season comes roaring in like a lion and consumes us for five months and then starts tapering off to the playoffs and finally the Super Bowl.

Every year when the Lombardi Trophy has been presented it seems that the wind has just gone out of my sails. The sight of the stadium hosting the Super Bowl emptying out is like letting the water out of the pool after summer is over.

I get a feeling like it's graduation night all over again. You get your diploma, say goodbye to your friends and wonder, "what the heck am I going to do now?"

My son, Charlie, Jr., is just as rabid about football as I am. He uses his season tickets for every Titans home game and is probably the loudest fan in the stadium. If I'm on the road, I'll call him on his cell phone and get live updates.

Now Hazel is not nearly as big a fan as Charlie, Jr. and myself but she does occasionally get excited about a football game, especially if the Oklahoma Sooners are playing. She is from Tulsa. I never pull for whoever is playing Oklahoma, no matter who it is… at least not while she can see what I'm doing. She can get downright ornery about it. Needless to say that she was not happy with the outcome of the National Championship Game this year.

It's not that I don't like other sports. In fact I like them all to one extent or another. I have been an Atlanta Braves fan for over four decades and March Madness and the Final Four get a little rise out of me. I like to watch Tiger Woods and the guys swat the little white ball around and if I understood it better I could probably get into a hockey game or two.

But let's face it; none of them is football…bone crunching, mouth smashing, adreniline pumping, heart stopping football.

I'm sure I'll get through the offseason. At least I've got one thing to inspire me in this drought. My beloved Tennessee Titans are playing in the Hall of Fame Game next season, the very first game of the year. It's only a preseason game, but it's still football.

Bring it on.

What do you think?

Pray for our troops

God Bless America

Charlie Daniels

February 6, 2009[/i]

2009/2/9 12:37
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Football Famine

Quote:
OK OK folks, I know this isnt a very "spiritual" post, but it's ok to lighten up a little from time to time from all the seriousness of this forum.

Brother I would encourage you that the main tenor of the forums should be serious. The sermonindex.net forums are not for joking, games, and fun but rather primarily for serious talking and conversations about the things of eternity.

On the topic of sports this is quite a good sermon

[b]The Christian View Of Sports (To The Parents) by Alex Marini[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=463

Description: A challenging message on the proper view Christians should have about sports. Competition in sports is examined in the light of the scriptural admonitions to love and esteem each other better than ourselves.

2009/2/9 12:46Profile

Re:

OK... sorry.

Heard that message before. Has some good points, however as coach I disagreed with other points of the message.

Coaching is the greatest mission field God has given me.

Anyway, I apologize for posting this if it is outside the bounds of the rules.

Krispy

2009/2/9 12:51
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:
Brother I would encourage you that the main tenor of the forums should be serious.

Well, this is sure a surprise after 4 years, I guess I have been breaking the rules since I joined, if so I am sorry. I have very few serious bones in my body so I probably don't fit in here very well, God just built me this way and I don't think he wants me to change, or at least until now he has not told me to change, so I guess Mr. Bill will be posting less and reading more. I am sorry if my humor on SI has ever annoyed anyone I do sincerely apologize, Mr. Bill wonders if Jesus was ever humorous, or if his 33 years were totally serious.
God Bless
Mr. Bill

2009/2/9 12:53Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Brother I would encourage you that the main tenor of the forums should be serious.

This does not mean that we can never be light-hearted on the forums or make a joke. But let's realize we are posting and adding to these great saints works on this site and it is for the entire world to see. Jesus Christ Himself said that every idle word will be brought into judgment how much more every other word we use!

The sermonindex.net site is not meant to be a community where we can express all facets of our life. But rather it is a place we can come to discuss and meditate on "things above".

2009/2/9 12:56Profile

Re:

Take a chill pill, Bill.

Krispy

2009/2/9 12:57

Re:

Quote:
The sermonindex.net site is not meant to be a community where we can express all facets of our life. But rather it is a place we can come to discuss and meditate on "things above".

With all due respect, Greg... coaching football is a ministry to me.

Granted, this article was not about that, but I think you know me well enough to know that this conversation would more than likely turn into me testifying about how the Lord has used me over the years to touch hundreds of lives of kids... especially the unchurched young men with no dad in the picture.

I understand where you're coming from, and I respect that. And again, I apologize for posting something that you dont think should have been. But before writing something off as temperal or not set on "things above"... why not give it a moment and see how it develops?

This topic is a huge part of who I am, and what God created me for... and since my mind IS set on "things above", then it would be a very natural thing for this to turn into a very spiritual conversation rather quickly.

The cheese maker doesnt just go to the farm an pick up cheese... he gets it in the form of milk, and then it develops into cheese over time.

Krispy

2009/2/9 13:03

Re:

This comment is not about kripsy, his ministry, or kids playing games. It is solely about the article posted by a proclaimed Christian author.

Quote:

[u]I truly love the Super Bowl[/u] and I thought that this year's was one of the best ever.

The only thing I don't like about the Super Bowl is that it signals the end of the season. I know, I know, there's the Pro Bowl, but it's not the same. It actually don't mean anything except to honor the best players of the year by giving them a trip to Hawaii.

No more Monday Night Football, no more Thursday Night Football, no more Sunday doubleheaders or Saturday college games of the week. It's a sad state of affairs.

Can the beloved apostle provide a word from the Lord on this matter?

1 John 2:15-17

[u]Love not the world[/u], neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, [u]the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life[/u], is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

What a sad day when professing Christians blatantly state that they love the things of this world. Is their no shame for our worldliness or smallest desire to wrestle against it in the prayer closet anymore? No, instead we can boast about it and get a big smile in reply from the church in babylon...

To end in the words of the author
Quote:
It's a sad state of affairs.

-Jim

2009/2/9 13:26

Re:

It was not my intention to post something that would cause strife among the brethren. But it is true that anything anyone posts here has the potential to cause strife.

Therefore, I regret having posted.

By the way, I love sunsets... venison... and my wife and children. How is that any different? (not arguing w/you Jim, you know I love you... just asking)

Krispy

2009/2/9 13:39

Re:

Quote:
By the way, I love sunsets... venison... and my wife and children. How is that any different?

Brother, please pray about it and read a few commentaries (I recommend Henry and Wesley for balance) on 1 John 2.

In Christ - Jim

2009/2/9 13:42

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy