Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Musical blessings

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TomfromOZ

Hunter Valley, Australia

Musical blessings

Gday All

Surely there would be a great diversity of musical preference on this site and still we would all agree that the Lord recieves to Himself and gives us blessing through song. If you love the psalms I would like to recommend to you an Aussie band called "the sons of Korah"(sorry I dont know how to tag things).
They sing mostly psalms and incorperate a variety of traditional instruments and sounds with contempory music and is lyracally driven full of scripture.

I have found when at times on the Mountain or of times in the slough of despair these songs lift, encourage and draw one to the Living God.

I love how the psalms bring forth the realities of life, death, pain, salvation and our God. The Psalms include songs of praise, worship, battle, testimony, lamentation and other themes. The psalms seem to incorperate a wonderful honest look at man and his plight and the unmistakeable Reality of a Holy and Loving GOD.

I hope this little recomendation blesses somone.
A possible thread to start -

Question: What has ever happened to songs of lamentation in the modern church???

In Christ

Tom

2009/2/7 21:30Profile
TomfromOZ

Hunter Valley, Australia

Re: Musical blessings

If I could re-state the question part of my previous post:

Do churches in this day and age incorperate songs of lament and of the solemn assembly in regular worship?

and if so, what effect does this have?

Oh yeh- "sons of korah" band has many live clips on youtube if interested and you can hear clips at their site: www.sonsofkorah.com

Tom

2009/2/7 23:15Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Do churches in this day and age incorporate songs of lament and of the solemn assembly in regular worship?

I am not sure I am even familiar with these type of songs unless you were to talk about country music - off the top of my head I would wonder how edifying they would be. When I think of 'lament' I think of unanswered questions about what God is NOT doing or appears to be not doing, or one of complaint about something.

When I think of uplifting music, I think of songs that lift Jesus higher, that speak of his glory, his majesty, his wonder in detail. As I understand the term 'lament' it would be more self-centered.

Am I wrong? If so, would you mind educating me?

ginnyrose

2009/2/9 9:03Profile

Re:

There are several good Christian musicians that do a lot of blues music that I really love. Glenn Kaiser, Darrell Mansfield, Larry Howard... and I've heard Kaiser explain the very same thing. He writes a lot of blues oriented songs precisely because scripture has a lot of poetry of lament. In fact, one of the books of the OT is call [b]Lament[/b]ations.

God is a God of variety. Ever look at a bouquet of flowers of many different colors? Who else can put that together and have it look beautiful and not tacky?

Krispy

2009/2/9 10:50
TomfromOZ

Hunter Valley, Australia

Re:

Hey Krispy
I also enjoy Kaiser & mansfield, especialy the acoustic blues and worship albums. I caught your testimony earlier. To God be all glory, He is always at work.

Ginny
Maybe Im wrong, because I have not found a clear passage in the NT where songs of lament are used post Ressurection, (if someone knows one please post it).
Would it constitute as lack of faith to sing songs of lament to our Lord, as in days of old, for the condition of the world and times we live in and the state of much of what calls itself the church?
Dont we lament, mourn and travail in prayer for loved ones, for revival, for sins?
I think Lamentation may be a valid biblical expression, it is an honest look at the circumstances, that stirs us to seek God.
I love Praise and Worship and dont want anything less than the fullness of what God wants for the church.
Am I off base?

In Christ
tom

2009/2/9 21:03Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy