SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : When will Jesus Return to the earth?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

When will Jesus Return to the earth?

[b]Will Jesus Christ return to this earth, at the end of the Great Tribulation, two thousand years after the year He was crucified, rose from the dead, and ascended into Heaven?

What does God’s Word, the Bible have to tell us of this upcoming event?[/b]

"Prophetic time" is described for us as one day being a thousand years, and a thousand years as being one day.

2 Peter [b][color=CC0000]3[/color][/b]:
8.[b] But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise,(the Second Coming)[/b] as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. 10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

xxxxxxxx

In the Book of Hosea, we see Jesus, returning to His Place (Heaven), after His crucifixion, death and resurrection from the dead (Hosea 5:14-15) and then a Prophecy of Jesus returning to the earth, at the end of 2,000 years (two prophhetic days), when the Jews finally call out for Him during the Tribulation (Hosea 6), and then He (Jesus) will revive Israel, and in the third day (the 1,000 year millennium) they will live in His presence on this earth, in His sight.

Hosea 5
14. For I will be unto Ephraim as a lion, and as a young lion to the house of Judah: I, even I, will tear and go away; I will take away, and none shall rescue him.
15. I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early.

Hosea 6
1. Come, and let us return unto the Lord: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.
2. AFTER TWO DAYS WILL HE REVIVE US: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
3. Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

Job reveals to us the promise that the Jews are looking forward to, the promise of the Millenium, the 1,000 year reign on this earth when they will all live with their Messiah (when the lion will lay down with the lamb):

Job 19:
25. For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that HE shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: 26. And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: 27. Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me. 28. But ye should say, Why persecute we him, seeing the root of the matter is found in me? 29. Be ye afraid of the sword: for wrath bringeth the punishments of the sword, that ye may know there is a judgment.

xxxxxxxxxxx

[b]Time is short. If Christ is coming back EXACTLY after 2 days, or 2 thousand years, then we are looking at 2029- 2033 (some think that the calendar is off, and that He was born between 4 B.C. and 2 B.C.)

However, for the Church, if the two days are kept exactly, the Rapture will be somewhere between 2022 and 2026 for the Church, 7 years before the Great Tribulaton.[/b]

Your thoughts about this would be appreciated. Please use Scripture to help explain your position.

Sincerely,

Walter

2009/2/6 20:39
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: When will Jesus Return to the earth?

Hi walter,

[i]that one day is with the Lord [u]as[/u] a thousand years, and a thousand years [u]as[/u] one day[/i]

2 Peter 3 btw - you had me lost there :-)

Have always taken this [i]as[/i], as 'as' ... "Like unto" in comparrison to, etc.

So I do not know that there is such a thing as prohpetic time with this being something of a clock or calandar.

From Albert Barnes;

- The expression here used, that “one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, etc.,” is common in the Rabbinical writings. See Wetstein in loc. A similar thought occurs in Psa_90:4; “For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.”

2009/2/7 0:17Profile

Re: Jesus Christ's return to the earth

To Crsschk:

Only in 2 Peter (a Book that focuses entirely about the “Prophecy” of Christ’s return) do we find the statement that[b] one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.[/b]

In 2 Peter 1:18-21 we find the declaration[b] "that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation."[/b]

18. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
19. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20. Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

[b]Then, in 2 Peter 2:2 Paul continues about prophetic time, and when Christ will return.[/b]

2 Peter 2:
8. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise,(the Second Coming) as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. 10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

[b]In regards to Psalms 90:4, it refers to something entirely different. We have to read the entire 90th Psalm to understand what it means:[/b]

Psalms 90:4
This verse, like 2 Peter 3:8, is often misinterpreted to justify taking the days of creation as equivalent to geological ages. In Psalms 90:4 Moses is referring to the ancient descendents of Adam. Even though their individual lives lasted almost a thousand years (each person), by the time of Moses they were all but forgotten. Psalms 90:5 tells us that the children of Adam, who lived a thousand years, were finally destroyed in the flood and soon forgotten.

“5. Thou carriest them away as with a flood; they are as a sleep: in the morning they are like grass which groweth up.”

In Psalms 90-10 Moses contrasts the 70 years of a normal life span in his day (even though he lived to be 120) with the thousand year life span of men before the flood (found in Psalm 90:4)

Psalms 90:”10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away”

Psalm 90:12 is in agreement with Deuteronomy 32:29, when he was speaking to the children of Israel. A person only has 18000 days (or 50 years of adult life) in which he could apply his life to eternal values, so it is vitally important to be “Redeeming the time” (Ephesians 5:16)
Psalm 90: “12. So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.”

Psalms 90:13 Moses is praying for the soon fulfillment of God’s ancient promise (Genesis 3:15) to return and redeem lost mankind.

Psalms 90: “13. Return, O Lord, how long? and let it repent thee concerning thy servants.”

In this prayer 0f Psalm 90 Moses first spoke of the creation (90:1-2), then the curse and the pre-flood world (90:3-4), then the flood (90:5), then the present world (90:6-13), then His salvation (90:14-15) and finally the future world (90:16-17) when all of God’s great purposes of creating us for His glory will be accomplished.

Psalms 90: “17. And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.”

[b]As far as Hosea 5 & 6 are concerned, they are focused on Christ’s exit from the earth, and then, two days later, His return to the earth, another picture of this same prophetic event, that will involve two prophetic days, or two thousand years, and then concludes with His Millenial reign on the earth of 1 DAY, the 3rd day (that of course consists of 1,000 years).[/b]

Hosea 5
14. For I will be unto Ephraim as a lion, and as a young lion to the house of Judah: I, even I, will tear and go away; I will take away, and none shall rescue him.
15. I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early.

Hosea 6
1. Come, and let us return unto the Lord: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.
2. AFTER TWO DAYS WILL HE REVIVE US: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
3. Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

I am sure that not everyone will agree with this. Please provide Scripture when you respond.

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
Hi walter,

[i]that one day is with the Lord [u]as[/u] a thousand years, and a thousand years [u]as[/u] one day[/i]

2 Peter 3 btw - you had me lost there :-)

Have always taken this [i]as[/i], as 'as' ... "Like unto" in comparrison to, etc.

So I do not know that there is such a thing as prohpetic time with this being something of a clock or calandar.

From Albert Barnes;

- The expression here used, that “one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, etc.,” is common in the Rabbinical writings. See Wetstein in loc. A similar thought occurs in Psa_90:4; “For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.”

2009/2/7 3:43
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone,

If I could suggest, one of the ways I think the scriptures can be abused is by something like running overtop of them with our own meanings and ideas.

It is as if we were running over the tracks that are there until we make new ones for the cart we are pushing to follow in.

I don't think that the Second Epistle of Peter is "a Book that focuses entirely about the “Prophecy” of Christ’s return".

And as Mike pointed out, it [b]doesn't[/b] seem unlikely that the Apostle Peter was refering to the verse in Psalm 90 in encouraging the believers to be steadfast in faith while they awaited the Lord's return.

What does seem unlikely though(to me anyway) is that he was establishing a doctrine of "prophetic time" that he doesn't say anything else about?

I think that the admonition in 1Peter 1:20-21 was appropriate here. It seems to me that heresy has alot to do with self-willed interpretations of scripture that are forced upon others to the point of divisions; in short, in contending for our own 'choices'.

Wish you all well.

Chris

2009/2/7 9:30Profile

Re:

To ChrisJD

You have posted your[b] opinion.[/b] Please, support your opinion with [b]specific Scripture. Without Scripture, without Doctrine, you offer nothing more than another opinion.[/b]

[b]What is the exact teaching of the Book of 2nd Peter all about-
Chapter 1?
Chapter 2?
and Chapter 3?

Also, in my previous post I provided a thorough analysis of Psalm 90, almost verse by verse. Since you disagree with my analysis, please post your own analysis proving your point, using the entire 90th Psalm. Just by saying you disagree with me on my analysis of Psalm 90 and agree with the Moderator on his quote from a commentary on Psalm 90 is meaningless, unless you can back it up with Scripture.[/b]

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Hi everyone,

If I could suggest, one of the ways I think the scriptures can be abused is by something like running overtop of them with our own meanings and ideas.

It is as if we were running over the tracks that are there until we make new ones for the cart we are pushing to follow in.

I don't think that the Second Epistle of Peter is "a Book that focuses entirely about the “Prophecy” of Christ’s return".

And as Mike pointed out, it [b]doesn't[/b] seem unlikely that the Apostle Peter was refering to the verse in Psalm 90 in encouraging the believers to be steadfast in faith while they awaited the Lord's return.

What does seem unlikely though(to me anyway) is that he was establishing a doctrine of "prophetic time" that he doesn't say anything else about?

I think that the admonition in 1Peter 1:20-21 was appropriate here. It seems to me that heresy has alot to do with self-willed interpretations of scripture that are forced upon others to the point of divisions; in short, in contending for our own 'choices'.

Wish you all well.

Chris

2009/2/7 12:15
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

"For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

- 2Peter 1:17(KJV)

Hi Walter, I hope that you are doing well.

Quote:
You have posted your opinion. Please, support your opinion with specific Scripture. Without Scripture, without Doctrine, you offer nothing more than another opinion.

What is the exact teaching of the Book of 2nd Peter all about-
Chapter 1?
Chapter 2?
and Chapter 3?

Walter, yes, I did give my opinion about the content of Peter's letter not being confined to the subject of Christ's return, but, it does seem obvious that there is more in the letter than that?

Can I gently suggest something?

I think that one indication that we are, or that we may be becoming self-willed in how we handle the scriptures is the way that we react to challenges or contradictions to what we have said.

I wouldn't have mentioned anything about what you said before about the letter being entirely about Christ's return, [b]except[/b] that it appears the comments were made so as to support the other things you were teaching about the Lord's return.

We have to be careful not to allow ourselves to mischaracterise the scriptures in order to make a point, you know what I mean?

I wish you well, and please forgive me if I have wronged you or misunderstood you in anyway,

Wish you the love of God,

Chris

2009/2/7 12:41Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Walter,

Quote:
Also, in my previous post I provided a thorough analysis of Psalm 90, almost verse by verse.

I don't think that it is always nescessary that the things we qoute from a passage have to only apply in the same way they appear in [b]that passage[/b] or else they are not applicable.

For instance, when, the Apostle Peter, writes in verse 5 about the heavens being by the word of God, was he qouting from Genesis chapter 1? But do we need to anaylise the chapter to see if it is applicable to the rest of what he says?

I don't think we do.

2009/2/7 12:50Profile

Re:

To ChrisJD

When you referenced 2nd Peter 1:17 you referenced His first coming. However you neglected to continue with 1:18-21 that references the subject of Bible Prophecy in relation to Jesus Christ:

18. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
19. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20. Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

[b]In 2nd Peter Chapter 1 the focus is on believers, and why they should persevere in THESE LAST DAYS, because Christ is going to return to this earth soon and believers will put off their old bodies, and receive new resurrected bodies like those of Jesus Christ:[/b]

11. For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
12. Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.
13. Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
14.[b] Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.[/b]

[b]We are also told that as Christian believers, we have a SURE WORD OF PROPHECY, because our prophecy from the scriptures is not of any private interpretation, but handed down to us from Holy men of God, as they were moved and empowered by the Holy Ghost:[/b]

[b]In 2nd Peter Chapter 2 the focus is the fact that there were false prophets among the early Church, in Peter’s time, just like there will be in our time--- that deny that Jesus Christ bought them with His blood. It focuses on how God has dealt with non-believers in the past - by drowning the unrighteous world in the flood, except righteous Noah and his family; also, in His judgment against the ungodly people of Sodom and Gomorrah. The conclusion of chapter 2 is that the unrighteous, like the dog will return to their own vomit, or like the pig, after being washed, will return to “wallowing in the mire” and are not redeemable.[/b]

[b]1n 2rd Peter Chapter 3 the focus is on the fact that Christ promised to return to the earth, but during the last days the scoffers will say—“Where is the promise of His coming”, and are willingly ignorant of the God’s creation of the earth, and of God’s destruction of the wicked people of the earth by the flood, and that God’s judgment of all ungodly men, as well as the earth itself, will come by fire on the day of judgment (5.6 7.). Next, we are told that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, . [/b]

1. This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
2. That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
3. Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4. And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
5. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
6. Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
7. But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
[b] 8. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.[/b]
9. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12. Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13. Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
14. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
15. And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16. As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
17. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
18. But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

[b]Finally, in the book of Hosea, which you have totally ignored, we have further teaching about exactly when one day is referred to as a thousand years- the prophecy of the Messiah's return to the earth in 2 days, or 2 thousand years, and the prophecy of the Millenium, that will consist of one day, or as we already know, definitely consists of 1 thousand years.[/b]

Hosea 5

Hosea 6

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
"For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

Quote:
You have posted your opinion. Please, support your opinion with specific Scripture. Without Scripture, without Doctrine, you offer nothing more than another opinion.

What is the exact teaching of the Book of 2nd Peter all about-
Chapter 1?
Chapter 2?
and Chapter 3?

Walter, yes, I did give my opinion about the content of Peter's letter not being confined to the subject of Christ's return, but, it does seem obvious that there is more in the letter than that?

Can I gently suggest something?

I think that one indication that we are, or that we may be becoming self-willed in how we handle the scriptures is the way that we react to challenges or contradictions to what we have said.

I wouldn't have mentioned anything about what you said before about the letter being entirely about Christ's return, [b]except[/b] that it appears the comments were made so as to support the other things you were teaching about the Lord's return.

We have to be careful not to allow ourselves to mischaracterise the scriptures in order to make a point, you know what I mean?

I wish you well, and please forgive me if I have wronged you or misunderstood you in anyway,

Wish you the love of God,

Chris

2009/2/7 13:05
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Walter,

Walter, I didn't qoute, the verse following, [b]or[/b] the ones before.

Walter, I don't think that we are communicating.

If this is, for you, about defending your statement, or the doctrines that you are teaching, you may have the victory, I don't want to contend with you over these things.

I hope that you will consider the things that I wrote to you though.

Thank you!

2009/2/7 13:18Profile

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Hi Walter,

Walter, I didn't qoute, the verse following, [b]or[/b] the ones before.

Walter, I don't think that we are communicating.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This was your post, kind sir:

Re:

xxxxxxxxx

Exactly right, you only posted part of the teaching of 2nd Peter Chapter 1 by focusing on His first coming, and ignoring the additinal subject matter of the chapter- Bible Prophecy in relation to Jesus Christ.

In conclusion ChrisJD, unless our "opinions' are supported by Bible Scripture, by Bible Doctrine, by Bible "Teaching", then they have no value to the blood bought beleivers of Jesus Christ.

Sincerely,

Walter

2009/2/7 13:34

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy