SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does God Talk to His People?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
Satan spoke audibly to our Lord.

Does scripture specify that it was audible?

A few years ago, not long after I was baptized, I was walking "Old Dog" in the park. It was a beautiful winter day and we were walking along the partially frozen river.

As we were neared the swinging bridge I stopped walking and reached down to pet "Old Dog." As I bent over, I found my mind going through the thought process of going into the river. "The water is not that cold - if it is cold, a person would not feel the cold for very long - a person could just easily slip down under the ice."

Stunned at what I was thinking, I became indignant and rebuked Satan. Incredibly, within a few minutes I found my mind had returned to the same line of thinking! I rebuked Satan once again and determinedly walked away from the river.

These thoughts did not come from myself as I was not upset or even mildly depressed at the time - in fact it was a beautiful day. So if these thoughts did not originate from my self, where do you think they came from?

2009/2/9 16:46Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Taylor,

And where does guilt from?

ginnyrose

2009/2/9 17:56Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Does scripture specify that it was audible?

Scripture says that Satan spoke to him, and our Lord responded in an audible fashion.

As to your example from real life - that would move the discussion outside of objective Scriptural examination, and I can really offer no objective comment as to your inward experiences.

Quote:
And where does guilt from?

Ginny,

Maybe 1st John 3:20 is applicable here? "for whenever [b]our heart[/b] condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything."

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/2/9 18:10Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
Scripture says that Satan spoke to him

Does it say that he spoke audibly.

2009/2/9 18:22Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

HeartSong,

Can you point me to any place in Scripture where one person is described as speaking to another, yet it is in an inaudible voice? My reason for asking is that, as far as I'm aware, the speaking verbs are always used to describe audible voices.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/2/9 18:42Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Hi Taylor,

I need to understand what you are saying when you say "audible voices" - do you mean specifically, and exclusively, sound waves coming from the vocal cords of one person that enter the ear of another person?

Edit: I am really trying to understand where you are coming from, but it is like we are two airplanes, flying at different altitudes, going in the opposite direction.

:-?

However, I really like you. :-)

2009/2/9 18:51Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Good question. I mean that the recipient is hearing with their ears an audible sound.

The only passage I'm aware of that could be construed to seem like God guides I'd with inaudible feelings/voices would be in John 10. However, in context, it seems our Lord is referring to those who "hear his voice" are those who hear the Gospel proclaimed (audibly - and even through His teachers in the church) and respond in faith. Contra the Pharisees.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/2/9 19:00Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone,

About the question of if the Lord speaks to our hearts?

I think that He does.

A while back a passage that stood out to me was how the High Priest was to wear the breastplate of judgment with the Urim and Thummim and how he was to 'bear the judgment of the children of Israel upon his heart before the LORD continually."

And then how, when Moses asked for a man to lead the people and Joshua was choosen, how he was to recieve counsel from the Priest after the judgment of Urim and Thummim(Numbers 27:15-21).

I think then too how we may see Christ now instead of Joshua and Eleazar, and how Paul prays for the believers to be strengthened by the Holy Spirit in their [i]inner man[/i] and that Christ would dwell in their hearts by faith.

And then I think too of the gifts of the Spirit in words of wisdom and of knowledge and how it is said that the one that speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself(which I think means his inner man). See 1Co 14:2.

I think it is a very great treasure to be able to be led by God.

2009/2/9 19:09Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Taylor wrote;

Quote:
Making my words known to you could be a variety of things. We know from other places in Scripture that the carnal man cannot understand the things of God, however, the spiritual (regenerated) man can. But, he doesn't necessarily understand them because God "whispered into his heart" inaudibly. He understands them because the Lord has spiritually opened his eyes and understanding to rejoice in and cherish the things revealed and proclaimed by the Lord and His Apostles.

I had posted this Scripture....

........................................................................................
20 Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.
21 She cries out in the chief concourses,
At the openings of the gates in the city
She speaks her words:
22 “How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
For scorners delight in their scorning,
And fools hate knowledge.
23 Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.

..........................................................................................

In verse 23...

Whose spirit is this?

And how does this spirit make known "my words to you."?

In Christ
Jeff

2009/2/9 19:54Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi again everyone,

Just now, as I was looking over these things again and looking at the passage in Numbers, it stood out to me how when Moses spoke to the Lord there in asking for someone to lead the people, He addresses the Lord as "the God of the spirits of all flesh"

I thought of how Paul said that he served God with his(that is his own, that is Paul's) spirit(Romans 1:9). And then I thought of Proverbs 20:27.

And then it came to mind how the Lord had told the people to make the borders on their garments after they had presumptously went to battle and how it was so that they would not 'seek after their own heart'(Numbers 15:38-39).

And how, we are to walk in the Spirit.

EDIT And I forgot, I thought of how Moses had said to Joshua,

"Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the LORD's people were prophets, [i]and[/i] that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!"

- from Numbers 11:29(KJV)

2009/2/9 21:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy