SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : spiritual warfare

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TomfromOZ

Hunter Valley, Australia

spiritual warfare

Recently I have come to believe that I have been neglecting spiritual warfare in my prayer life. I have some understanding of Ephesians ch6, but what I suppose Im asking is can anyone provide me with biblical and practical examples of what this is in practice, I know Im not looking for a formula, but what does effective, biblical
spiritual warfare soundlike?
Any help appreciated.

2009/2/3 21:54Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re: spiritual warfare

Briefly, God has truth that satan counters with lies.

For example:

God's truth - Phil 4:7 'Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends understanding will guared your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus'.

This is God's truth for when we face things that can trouble us and cause us to worry. Satan will counter with 1,000 reasons that you should worry. If we're not careful, we will listen to him - believe him instead of God.

What God wants, is that when we do face situations like that, and they do come, that instead of just listening to satan's lies and believing them, hook, line and sinker, we go to God and give Him the opportunity to speak to us His truth. His truth dispells satan's lies. But we have to take the time.

2009/2/3 22:38Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

The weapons of our warfare are not of flesh;
because we war not against flesh and blood,
but against spiritual darkness and evil
influences. The battle is not ours but the
Lord's, we conquer in His Name, by His truth,
and through His mighty Spirit!!

2009/2/4 10:25Profile
MJones

Missouri

TomfromOz,

I wrote this about a year ago which expressed the truth I was learning about God's truth and satan's lies. I seemed appropriate to include here.

The Battle for Our Faith

Faith comes by hearing, but what words have you heard?
Have you heard satan’s lies, or the truth in God’s word?
Both voices will speak, our faith on the line;
which one will you choose to believe in this time?

My God sent a test, forewarned it would come;
a test of my trust, like no other one.
I sought Him for help, I asked for relief;
till one day He said, I’ll give you my peace.

Your not to ask for Me to provide.
I want you to trust and in Me confide.
I will sustain when it seems there’s no way.
Can you trust what I’ve told you day after day?

But satan speaks too to get his words in;
this is your doom because of your sin.
He’s given you chances over the years,
but this time it’s over; you’ll pay more than tears.

God tells us His truth. Satan counters with lies.
Each after our faith; each equally vies.
How do we focus on the truth that we hear,
with lies so compelling, filling our ear?

I’ll tell you a secret I’ve learned in my test.
It helps me to focus and stay in His rest.
When I sense he’s at work and speaking his lies,
I draw near to God and stay close to His side.

I know He has truth and is waiting to say,
He knows He’s my refuge and has strength for my day.
Our faith is restored by the One that we see.
Let God be your focus and in Him your faith be.

MJ

2009/2/4 23:16Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Dear MJones,

That was a great poem. Thank you for sharing. I hope everyone reads it. :-D

Kind regards,
white stone

2009/2/5 0:02Profile
TomfromOZ

Hunter Valley, Australia

Thank you MJones
I appreciate your poem, it is encouraging.
I have not been able to find a sermon specifically on spiritual warefare on this site yet. I have heard there is some flakey teaching on this subject. Can anyone recomend a sermon or good writing.

In Christ

2009/2/5 0:56Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Satan always works with the Law, The Word Himself always works in Grace by Faith.

It is very pleasing to see a thread like this, with everybody in one accord, that spiritual warfare is of God, for our upbuilding by the Faith of Jesus Christ in us, giving proof and testament that by His Faith it is our faith in Him that brings us to peace.

Galatians 2:14-21 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Even in Peter's faith we see the temptation to listen to the works of the law wielded by Satan. Peter taking oneness with the Gentiles until the bus from Jerusalem arrived, then running to the legalist spies of James to seek out their freedom in Christ and make sure they were depending on the Law. Paul saw the puncture of Satan by his fiery darts and confronted Peter to his face.

It is the Faith of Christ in us that wields the defensive and offensive Armour, for every piece of Armour is in Christ.

How are we made perfect and presented to God, every man, by the Faith of Christ in us?

Galatians 2:14-21 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

His Faith in us making our faith in Him the pentacle of our faith, and the battle won by Him that is in us.

Colossians 1:26-29 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

It is His working in us that we strive according to His working in us that we are made perfect. Praise God that we in our understanding of the Word of God Himself have the victory in Him.

1 Peter 1:19-25 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

And who is the Word preached to us?

John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

This is the finality of our warfare, that is Christ in us the Hope of Glory.

Romans 8:1-14 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. (((((But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit,))))) if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Our warfare is certain in Him, for we cry Abba Father as His sons'.

Romans 8:15-17 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

In Christ: Phillip

2009/2/5 12:32Profile
TomfromOZ

Hunter Valley, Australia

Re:

Thank you Christinyou
Your words are edifying and a clear reminder to keep Christ in the centre of all things. Surely the Lord is a warrior and the battle belongs to Him. What peace is ours in knowing the One who knows the end from the begining and can not be defeated.

You mentioned the defensive and offensive armour/weapons given us. I suppose much of my warfare has been limited to defensive and reactionary rather than the offensive.

I see in scripture Jesus weilded His word in response to satans attempts to thwart Him, especialy in the desert.

I have neglected to address the enemy directly with God's word often and need to develop this aspect of active faith. It seems very natural when I reach a point of utter desperation but almost a foreign thing when in regular prayer.
Many are our challenges but the result is Christ formed in us. I do not want to struggle with this and I thank you all for your input.

Tom

2009/2/5 18:06Profile
run2win

USA

Re:

Hi! May I join in? I've been a guest on this site since last July, but just joined the other day.

As far as spiritual warfare: our position in Christ, the power of prayer, and the truth of God's Word are foundational. There is no question that it exists and is very real. Stay close to the Shepherd.

There is a book, Reclaiming Surrendered Ground by Jim Logan, which has come highly recommended by a number of trustworthy saints. It deals with the specifics of spiritual warfare. I have looked at it, and it seems to be a good resource. It will be on my reading list in the near future. Has anyone else read it?

The victory is ours in Christ. Do not give in to a spirit of fear or discouragement.

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world." ~1Peter5:6-9

2009/2/5 19:10Profile
TomfromOZ

Hunter Valley, Australia

Re:

Thanks run2win

I will check this out.
and Welcome

2009/2/7 20:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy