Cache Valley, Utah

"Superbowl-Faith"

Mike Tomlin, Steelers head coach, talks about his faith
http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=29752

Steelers' Polamalu: 'Faith is foundation'

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=29748

Cardinals' Haley has 'God to lean on'

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=29753

Pray for these brothers and their witness for Christ in and among the dark world of pro sports

2009/1/30 11:00Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: "Superbowl-Faith"

I know there are some who would have a great deal of ... I do not even want to go into it all. But there are some very strong Christians out there in this realm.

I only caught the tail of end it recently, an interview of sorts - But from my not so hidden proclivities to the greatest sport of all, that makes all others pale by comparison ... ;-)

Shane Doan - From the Phoenix Coyotes - Coming in midway as I mentioned ... An intelligent Christian! Not cliché' ridden, 'typical' or that sort of deflating ... 'Please, don't say anything, don't make us look ... ridiculous, please' ... sense that unfortunately is so often accompanied with those in the spot light. The bit I caught, the interviewer was asking about fighting and how that was compatible for a Christian, how he dealt with it. He is no small figure and 'drops the gloves' like any other player does when it is called for. I could go into a fairly long discourse on it all, but it is different - The fighting is not a hate/spite/malice type of thing, in fact it really is rather odd - Most of the time it's a jockeying, clutching and grabbing of the jersey's and the few punches that get released almost invariable end up missing, the ones that do land are against the hard plastic of a helmet - Ouch! Not to say there isn't any blood shed by any stretch - But it is part of the sport, generally to rally up ones team, to get it going when they are flat and often the results in some games when one team is getting blown out, frustrations overwhelm, showing their mettle etc.

Wish I could articulate and recall his response, but the gist of it was that many of his fellow Brethren do not understand it and he [i]understands[/i] that.

[url=http://www.canadianchristianity.com/christianliving/070511shane.html]The uncommon life of Shane Doan[/url]

Boy, this ought to get me in trouble ...

Disclaimer: I am a [i]San Jose Sharks[/i] fan.

P.S. Hockey players are typically the most humble and gracious athletes out there. Many of them go out of their way to support a variety of things- Helping the poor (A Christian homeless shelter being one that 'my team' is quite involved with). Not that other sports do not do likewise and no, they are not all Christians - It's just a whole different mindset- Less flamboyant and obnoxious personalities - Less ego's and trumping up ones skills and abilities. Character ...

In fact since I have just so exposed myself here to who knows what I might as well go on. We recently acquired a certain player in the off season who has unwittingly drawn off on by his manner and style of play things that I have found I was in need of in present circumstances. He doesn't 'panic' when another player is bounding down hard on him but just kind of moves a certain way and he keeps control of the puck where others would quickly dish it off, throw it down the boards. It's these subtle things of being controlled, not so reactionary, noticing everything around you, picking your spots, jumping up into the play as it is termed. In such a fast moving sport to be cool and collected, even-keeled, alert and aware- unemotional. Very applicable and a challenge to myself with a variety of new responsibilities- Disposition, character.

Hockey is to me is an expression of life in a lot of ways - Beautiful and tragic. It can be graceful and ugly all at the same time. Brutal collisions and collective team work. Besides, what other sport do all the guy's hug each other after they score?

Do I dare post this? :-?

I do not know that the world of sports is all that dark, it is one of the few remaining things that isn't scripted, manipulated or dramatized. Certainly the issues behind the scenes in some aspects not unlike any other ... occupation for lack of a better word. But it is at least reality if even a bit of escapism for those of us as spectators. I find in scripture no qualms with sport and it's mentions there as inconsequential, often used as allegory but not as something derogatory. Surely some of the fanaticism and at one time I was absolutely a 'fanatic' over all 'my teams' - Despite my somewhat jesting comments I have leanings towards all the major sports - But that has changed much, it is a take it or leave it, lower ordered aspect than what it once was, when I had Shark fins attached to the truck rack, later, a Sharks logo stitched on the Jeep tire cover and "BLEEDTL" for a license plate.

Almost forgot. Mike Singultary, the one with the most intimidating eyeballs in all of pro football is now 'our' new coach for the 49ers. He replaced the head coach mid-season and the team really rallied around him - Another strong character, old school mentality, takes no gruff from his players and they respect him for it. A strong Christian with no fear of saying so ...

Maybe all I am trying to convey here is that there is [i]still[/i] some real men out there, with some real old time convictions and character - That sport is one of the last remaining bastions that hasn't been reduced to a puddle of sentimentality and modern day 'tolerances', manipulated constructs and twisting of good and evil- Winners and losers - I have to wonder just where it also fits into some of the schemes that have been fostered on this recent generation by the academic establishment - see [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=26900&forum=34&post_id=&refresh=Go]Why History Matters ~ Ted Byfield[/url] for where I am deriving this from.

2009/1/30 13:05Profile

Re:

Real christians love football.

Go Pittsburg!

Krispy

2009/1/30 13:38
alan4jc

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Go Cardinals!! :)

2009/1/30 13:58Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
Real christians love football.

With age comes growth and understanding, you'll come around sooner or later :-P

Go Cards -

(P.S. Sorry about the Panthers this year brother, penalties and turnovers ... such bothersome things)

2009/1/30 16:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy