SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Can our beliefs blind us to what God is doing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
They received not the love of the truth that they might be saved...

It is challenging to consider how many different ways God can work to bring His word to our heart. I recall in the Old Testament Baalim was rebuked by a donkey. Also from II Chronicles 35:

[color=000066]After all this, when Josiah had prepared the temple, Necho king of Egypt came up to fight against Charchemish by Euphrates: and Josiah went out against him.

21 But he sent ambassadors to him, saying, What have I to do with thee, thou king of Judah? I come not against thee this day, but against the house wherewith I have war: for God commanded me to make haste: forbear thee from meddling with God, who is with me, that he destroy thee not.

22 Nevertheless Josiah would not turn his face from him, but disguised himself, that he might fight with him, and hearkened not unto the words of Necho from the mouth of God, and came to fight in the valley of Megiddo.

23 And the archers shot at king Josiah; and the king said to his servants, Have me away; for I am sore wounded..[/color]

One of the great questions of my life is, why do otherwise good and godly men rebel against God at times just because they have their minds made up. It's as if they will do what they have determined to do even if it hare-lips the devil.

2009/1/27 15:37Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:

RobertW wrote:
One of the great questions of my life is, why do otherwise good and godly men rebel against God at times just because they have their minds made up. It's as if they will do what they have determined to do even if it hare-lips the devil.

If I may say so, even otherwise good and godly men have a self-seeking streak.

And when each one of us step into that gully, we do indeed try to hair lip the devil by having it our way.

2009/1/27 15:47Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Looks like I'm not the only one snowed/iced in today. This has been enjoyable as I catch up on paperwork. Good comments by both Robert & Lysa. I think it was Robert who mentioned the aspect of the Holy Spirit in all this. There is definitely a spirit that guides us all. The question in all cases - which one?

2009/1/27 16:13Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
The question in all cases - which one?

Surely that [u]is[/u] the question. ;-)

2009/1/27 16:15Profile

Re: Can our beliefs blind us to what God is doing

Quote:
Can our beliefs blind us to what God is doing?

Wow, that is a great title! I was floored when I read it. And I have to agree with it. Jesus told the Pharisees that they made void the word of God because of their traditions.

Thank you for that thought provoking title.

2009/1/27 16:49
TracyInMD

Maryland, USA

Re: Can our beliefs blind us to what God is doing

Wow, it's like looking at my thoughts up on the screen. All I want is to obey God and do what is right in HIS eyes. Don't get me wrong, some things He wants me to do, I bet I STILL don't do, but I sincerely want to please God.

In the past 3 years, and especially since October, my idea of Christianity and in fact God Himself has completely unraveled. One thing emerges from all this: my mind hasn't been renewed enough to discern what God wants...I can even look at scripture with an un-renewed mind and see what I want to see. That's what I endure every Sunday, what is described here. We brag, "we're not them", implying (and being deceived) that we are better. All I know is more and more I see my own guilt and KNOW that I've misunderstood and misapplied scripture in the past. But most people don't think they are ever wrong. Lately, my wrong is so apparent, and so I see God's grace WAY more than I used to.

2009/1/28 6:16Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:

TracyInMD wrote:
Wow, it's like looking at my thoughts up on the screen. All I want is to obey God and do what is right in HIS eyes. Don't get me wrong, some things He wants me to do, I bet I STILL don't do, but I sincerely want to please God.

In the past 3 years, and especially since October, my idea of Christianity and in fact God Himself has completely unraveled. One thing emerges from all this: my mind hasn't been renewed enough to discern what God wants...I can even look at scripture with an un-renewed mind and see what I want to see. That's what I endure every Sunday, what is described here. We brag, "we're not them", implying (and being deceived) that we are better. All I know is more and more I see my own guilt and KNOW that I've misunderstood and misapplied scripture in the past. But most people don't think they are ever wrong. Lately, my wrong is so apparent, and so I see God's grace WAY more than I used to.

Tracy,

Back at you on your humble admission. I too see myself in your words. I'm on my way to work but I HAD to stop and say, "Amen" to what you wrote. You are not alone.

I cringe everytime the Lord allows me to remember another of my UNhumblest statements. (Is that a word? ha) But all I can do is confess and repent.

YOu wrote: [i]In the past 3 years, and especially since October, my idea of Christianity and in fact God Himself has completely unraveled.[/i] AND: [i]Lately, my wrong is so apparent, and so I see God's grace WAY more than I used to.[/i]

As I go about my day, thank you for giving me something to chew on!

God bless,

2009/1/28 6:46Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

TracyInMD,

Your thoughts are too 'at the core' of all this not to reply. A thought came to mind as I read them and I hope I can express it clearly.

It is not about seeking scripture, it is about seeking God. For years I sought God in scripture, and there is definitely room for that, but I think I stopped short of finding God. Instead I found things about God that I tried to cling to. They became substitutes for God.

But a few years back I grew very weary of it all. I knew there was more and began to seek God as I never had. Something stirred me, and I could not not seek Him.

Before my life was filled with demands. Demands to not do and demands to do. I couldn't not do enough nor could I do enough to please God. I found it was satan making all the demands not God.

The closest thing I have found in scripture that explains the transition that has taken place in my life is what Paul prayed for the Ephesians at the end of chapter 3.

'I pray out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, [b]being rooted and established in love, may have the power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.[/b]

I have discovered this love that Christ has for us. I have discovered that He is not the source of all the demands. It is satan demanding that we live a life we are incapable of living and then turns it as if it is God doing the demanding. It is just like Him to twist the truth into a lie. God loves us and desires that we know the love He has for us - that we know Him in His fullness. Satan, in his usual form, does all to prevent us from seeing it.

2009/1/28 6:53Profile
TracyInMD

Maryland, USA

Re:

MJones,

Quote:
It is satan demanding that we live a life we are incapable of living and then turns it as if it is God doing the demanding. It is just like Him to twist the truth into a lie.

YES! I've come to think this too! Crazy thought, but lately I found John 6:28-29...these are the works, that you believe in the one whom the Father sent. I myself was like as you describe, going on demands, somewhat more than love.

Quote:
It is not about seeking scripture, it is about seeking God. For years I sought God in scripture, and there is definitely room for that, but I think I stopped short of finding God. Instead I found things about God that I tried to cling to. They became substitutes for God.

I can relate to that. Look at this! John 5:39-40, NASB. You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

I want to print/study this whole thread and read it thoroughly.

2009/1/28 8:25Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Quote:

TracyInMD wrote:

MJones wrote
Quote:

I can relate to that. Look at this! John 5:39-40, NASB. You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

I really like that. It is God's way of confirming to me, what I had come to believe. That is the good potential of this site at it's best.

Thanks for sharing.

2009/1/28 9:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy