SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Contentment

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HeartSong

Contentment

[b]Contentment[/b]

[i]"I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" (Phil. 4:11).[/i]

Paul, denied of every comfort, wrote the above words in his dungeon. A story is told of a king who went into his garden one morning, and found everything withered and dying. He asked the oak that stood near the gate what the trouble was. He found it was sick of life and determined to die because it was not tall and beautiful like the pine. The pine was all out of heart because it could not bear grapes, like the vine. The vine was going to throw its life away because it could not stand erect and have as fine fruit as the peach tree. The geranium was fretting because it was not tall and fragrant like the lilac; and so on all through the garden. Coming to a heart's-ease, he found its bright face lifted as cheery as ever. "Well, heart's-ease, I'm glad, amidst all this discouragement, to find one brave little flower. You do not seem to be the least disheartened." "No, I am not of much account, but I thought that if you wanted an oak, or a pine, or a peach tree, or a lilac, you would have planted one; but as I knew you wanted a heart's-ease, I am determined to be the best little heart's-ease that I can."

"Others may do a greater work,
But you have your part to do;
And no one in all God's heritage
Can do it so well as you."

They who are God's without reserve, are in every state content; for they will only what He wills, and desire to do for Him whatever He desires them to do; they strip themselves of everything, and in this nakedness find all things restored an hundredfold.

[b]Streams in the Desert[/b]
[i]by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman[/i]

2009/1/26 2:31Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: Contentment

I believe contentment is one of the keys to maintaining our joy. Discontentment, like anger or bitterness, creates a disruption of our joy.

I think also that the key is to delight ourselves also in the LORD and He will give us the desires of our heart. He puts the desire there and then He brings it to pass. This is not covetous or preoccupation with changing our circumstances, etc., but a contentment to love God no matter if He chooses to bless us with more or He does not.

In this regard, I would make a distinction between contentment and willful poverty. Some believe that poverty and spirituality walk hand in hand, but this is not so. If God so chooses to give us more then we have more means of exercising hospitality, etc. But we need to delight ourselves in the LORD and not in our stuff.

2009/1/26 8:05Profile

Re:

Thanks for the post, HeartSong! I thought of you when I read this verse this morning~ "Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord." (Eph. 5:19) :)

"They who are God's without reserve, are in every state content; for they will only do what He wills, and desire to do for Him whatever He desires them to do; they strip themselves of everything, and in this nakedness find all things restored an hundredfold."

RobertW: "I believe contentment is one of the keys to maintaining our joy"

Yes, to keep that song in our heart in all circumstance! Amen!

2009/1/26 8:34
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
Thanks for the post, HeartSong! I thought of you when I read this verse this morning~ "Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord." (Eph. 5:19) :)

What a nice thing to say!

I sing to Him throughout the day - but I need to share His song more with others. Thank you for the reminder.

:-)

2009/1/26 14:32Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
Some believe that poverty and spirituality walk hand in hand, but this is not so.

Recently the Lord provided me with a certain book that I had been having trouble finding. Not only did He provide one in perfect condition, but it came with five other books that I have been wanting to read - all in perfect condition.

Now when I see my little pile of books, I lift up thanks unto Him - for His gift - more than I asked for, and certainly more than I deserve. He always provides exceedingly and abundantly. My cup runneth over.

2009/1/26 14:41Profile
HeartSong

Re:

My "Old Dog" used to be content just laying at my feet - it was as if he counted it a privilege. Oh that we would be so content just laying at the feet of our Master.

2009/1/26 17:43Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Quote:

HeartSong wrote:
Recently the Lord provided me with a certain book that I had been having trouble finding. Not only did He provide one in perfect condition, but it came with five other books that I have been wanting to read - all in perfect condition.

Now when I see my little pile of books, I lift up thanks unto Him - for His gift - more than I asked for, and certainly more than I deserve. He always provides exceedingly and abundantly. My cup runneth over.

It is cool to experience these kinds of blessings, but good too to hear of others experiencing them.

Good words.

2009/1/26 20:55Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
It is cool to experience these kinds of blessings, but good too to hear of others experiencing them.

Ravi Zacharias preached once on the subject of a the importance of having a sense of wonder. So awesome is our Lord to bring little blessings to us. God fulfills many desires of our hearts as we delight in Him.

2009/1/26 21:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy