SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : sacrifice your child

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

sacrifice your child

Gen 22:7-9 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together. And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood

After having an experience recently, where i was forced not to bind my only son, but to hold him down with force, not to offer him as a sacrifice but for a doctor to perform a medical operation on him. And while my little boy of three years old cries out with the tears running down his cheeks for me to help him away from this suffering that was inflicted upon him. For his good but since he can not understand it he looked upon me with fear and as my heart broke and I felt such anguish i hardly ever felt before this verse came to me in that situation.

It is hard to write clearly and fully understandable what it spoke to my heart, but some of it ill try communicate. So often it is easy to perhaps bend the knees to God and make a sacrifice, a commitment a vow or so on. To sacrifice something to the Lord. But the thing that is most dear to us, when i faced this situation and sensed somewhat a resemblance even thou my situation did not by far come close to the ultimate crossroad Abraham was in.

But to really give all to God is something to lightly spoken of many a times i suspect now. To say i love the Lord with all my heart and yet we have never come to sacrifice the things we hold most dear.

Sacrifice to God that is, yet i find another type of sacrifice in me, we see it is an easy thing for many of us to sacrifice in this case our children for other things. Such as work and carrier, hobbys and even church work so called. To sacrifice them to pursue what we want to achive and reach our goals maybe in the form of a more comfortable life or a better paid job or whatever. I am not talking about working to make a living or providing for our families and other such necessities.

But to sacrifice our children to molok so to say seem to be much easier then to give them to God...

Without hesitating or thinking twice i suspect many a thousand of christians has sacrificed their children to molok in a spiritual sense to persue their own goals and fulfill themselves.

But when it comes to sacrifice to the Lord there is a hesitation, a unwillingness deep down. And yet we know that to give to the Lord is gain, and we know to gain from the world and self is to lose.

May we lay our children on the altar, or what it is you hold most dear. I see now more clearly what it will take, what it will cost me, and how it will take such an ultimate situation to slay the drive of self.

God sacrificed his only son for us, yet we so unwillingly sacrifice our children to him, but to molok we run and dont even feel guilty of casting our children into the fire of the world and selfish living.

Gen 22:10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.

May God work in me and all of us so that we may turn from the idols and offer our children to him. That we may win them and further his kingdom. And by giving we may recive.

It is more blessed to give then to recive....

not for the goal of getting something from God, as by selfish motivation and that is why we sacrifice them. As we have done to molok, but out of love to God.

Christian

2009/1/25 13:20Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: sacrifice your child

When the call comes to offer up what is most
dear and precious to us; may we, like Abraham,
have the faith to know that GOD himself
understands what it means to sacrifice His
all!!

2009/1/25 13:44Profile
sojourner7