Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Differences of opinion

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MJones

Missouri

Differences of opinion

Mt. 11:17-19 We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn. For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon'. The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners'. But wisdom is proved right by her actions.

I have recently thought of a correlation between the two approaches to life represented here by John and Jesus. John denied himself every pleasure known to man. For him, that was his way to God. Jesus on the other hand, enjoyed some of the pleasures of life, yet He too obviously walked with God.

It is not that one way is right and the other wrong; from the beginning of Christianity, God makes the point through their example, that knowing Him is not about a set way to live. Rather in the variety of ways in which we live and believe, we are able to walk with and know God.

It is as if He is making the point that Paul makes in his first letter to the Corinthians, 'I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some'. There is variety and God makes room for it.

The tendency though, as each on their side and in their way have found God, feel compelled to persuade others that their way is right. But the truth, as these verses imply, is that both are right.

2009/1/23 0:29Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Differences of opinion

God simply asks for different things from different people. God does not call everyone to be missionaries…or to live in the wilderness and eat locusts. John was being obedient. So was Jesus.

Thanks for the reminder.

2009/1/23 0:45Profile
A-Run

India

Re:

[i]"Now about our brother Apollos: I strongly urged him to go to you with the brothers. He was quite unwilling to go now, but he will go when he has the opportunity."-1Corinthians16:12[/i]

I personally think True Christianity is seen where even though people have difference of opinions, they get together and work for the Lord unitedly. I think this is how the body of Christ is complete with different members with different gifts and expressions (like the eyes, ears, hands, heart etc,...) work and form a body.

The passage which Jesus quotes above in "Matthew 11" does refer to the pharisees who were legalists and who wanted everyone to act according to their opinions/views.

Indeed a word of reminder for us not be legalistic.

2009/1/23 1:21Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
The passage which Jesus quotes above in "Matthew 11" does refer to the pharisees who were legalists and who wanted everyone to act according to their opinions/views. Indeed a word of reminder for us not be legalistic.

Amen. Carter Conlon spoke on this issue a bit at the conference. Folk run the risk of wanting God to authenticate their views with an outpouring, but He comes to authenticate His own word and way.

2009/1/23 6:57Profile
MJones

Missouri

Good words from all.

2009/1/23 7:44Profile

I understand what is said here and I do agree. But let me throw something a little 'out there' in terms of some of the worldly things Christ permitted Himself without sin. This is just my own opinion on the matter but I think that in the case of drinking wine, Jesus was told to do so by the Father so He could be tempted to drink in excess and become drunk.

I know the Bible doesn't say this and I'm not trying to introduce anything in serious interpretation, but the thought has occured to me that if Jesus was tempted in every way then this would open the door for that temptation. In addition, it also allows Him to be the victory over this in the lives of former alcoholics having been tempted in this way Himself and still not sinning.

2009/1/23 8:13
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

MJones,

I think you've made some excellent points here.

Sometimes we need to be prepared to allow others a liberty of conscience for things that we ourselves may not have freedom in our hearts to do(Romans 14:5,6). But also, to be sensitive to not offend the consciences of others with the liberty that we do have(Rom 14:14-15). That is, in things that we have freedom to make choices about.

In the same passage the Apostle Paul asks:

"Who art thou that judgest another man's servant?"

and then he says...

"...to his own master he standeth or falleth."

According to the refrences I have, the word for servant here has the meaning of a household servant. Vincent's word studies expresses the thought as: [i]he is a servant in Christ's household[/i].

I suppose then, that this should give us pause in considering how we treat the other servants around us, that is, especially, how or to what standards [b]we[/b] hold them, or in what manner we may press upon them to perform their service. It is, afterall, God, and not us, that they must answer to(Rom 14:10-12).

Grace and peace be with you.

2009/1/23 22:47Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

I have decided to delete this post.

2009/1/24 10:01Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

In light of the comments made about a post that doesn't belong on this sight, I have decided to remove the one I made earlier this morning. I realized when I made it that could possibly offend some, but once I realized that it actually might have done so(I am assuming it is the one referred to) I cannot bear to leave it. Even if it isn't the one, I feel best removing it.

If it has, I am sorry for it. I did my best to be real and show the transformation that has taken place in my life over the past 2 years. In the process I said some things that could understandably be offensive.

I refer back to the agreement we are all expected to read before becoming a member of this forum. We are to approach it as we were guests in someone's home. I'm afraid I might have made myself a little too much at home.

RebeccaF, if my post is the one you have referred to, I ask your forgiveness. I am truly sorry.

2009/1/24 22:41Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Since the 'Moderators???' thread has been locked, and I was about to make comments to RebeccaF, I will make them here and hope she sees them. I considered PM but since this has affected this thread, I chose to post it here. The points I want to make, though few, I think will be good for others to see.

First of all, I have learned a lesson in this. Had I been just the slightest bit more careful in my original post, I would not have felt so much that the 'thread that did not belong' was mine. The coincedence of one questionable line provided the opportunity for me to assume my post was the one referred to. So for me, a lesson to be even more careful in the future with anything I put here.

Secondly as Mike points out, a simple reference on the post to which was referred, or at least a specific reference to it in the new one that was ceated to draw attention to one in question, could have clarified and eliminated a lot of strain. I have had a few hours of regret for nothing. Something I spent a fair amount of time on, to assure I was as sensitive as possible, while being true to my own beliefs and trying to reply responsibly to an issue that was raised on a thread I began, is now deleted.

I will try to recreate my original reply. As soon as I hit delete while in the edit mode, I thought I should have made a copy. But by then it was too late. This time through, I will exorcise that extra caution when constructing the reply.

Lastly, and again as Mike points out, we still don't know, after all this, which thread or post was the one referred to.

2009/1/25 11:59Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy