SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Word "Preach" in the Scriptures

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

[b]1 Corinthians 1:18-29[/b] - For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence.

Quote:
I don't read him saying that preaching in itself is foolish?!

In v18 the 'preaching of the cross' is [b]foolishness[/b] to THEM that are perishing. So the message is not necessarily foolishness to those who are being saved, but to the spiritualy undiserned it appears as a foolish message.

In v21 the Holy Spirit is seeming to say that the means of 'preaching' is in itself [b]foolishness[/b] for a means of saving souls, so basically its a base or low form of conveying the truth which is opposed to fine sounding arguments and a complex system of wisdom that would be the means of obtaining salvation and truth.

In v22 some things are breaken down more and its said the 'preaching' of Christ Crucified is to the Jews a 'stumbling block' and to greeks it [b]foolishness[/b] so it appears overall that the message is not foolish to the jews but to greeks and gentiles its foolish.

2004/7/31 16:49Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Vehicle Of Life

Quote:

The reason why I put out the question was I heard a sermon explaining that the word 'preach' in the bible is to proclaim outloud as in street preaching

He must have had a lot of explaining to do.
If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning,it will be taken as a curse. Prov27:14 ;-)

Quote:

and that it is with the foolishness of this shouting aloud the scriptures and precepts of God that people will be saved.

Differentiation between form and substance is maybe a better angle to look at it. Standing up and loudly proclaiming a message would probably warrant shouting aloud, purely from the point that you want people to hear. I think to be able to have heard Whitfield preaching to 30 000 people without mikes or anything, that must have been something. Adds new meaning to being in the spray zone, maybe one could call it the earmuff zone.:-) Anyway, I have heard the comment made in a one-on-one conversation, that he is preaching at me. The normal context is when you are telling someone something and there is only a one-way dialogue.

Quote:

Not with the signs or miricales in evangelism... but with the heralding of the foolish message of Jesus Christ raised from the dead.

Well , I think that all those things are part of it...but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. Jn 10:32 So it was part of Jesus' preaching 'pattern' to have signs and wonders, not that, that for him was the main focus. He certainly touched an area of need, and it did I presume make people more receptive to what he was saying.

Quote:

I am just having abit of a hard time with this and praying it over.

Well wherever this searching will take you, know...that [i]out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.[/i] 35The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. Matt 12:34,35

Quote:
Does preaching of the foolishness of God, the Cross – 1Cor 1:18 - equal foolish preaching and folly in the pulpit?

Depends if his preaching is...
Foolish-Lacking good sense; indescreet, stupid
and in the pulpit his actions, conduct or ideas are not foolish.8-)

I think the terms used in the dictionary imply someone who acts like a clown, and doesn't hold the form of preaching in Gods church as a high calling.

Quote:

When Jesus would preach to the crowds it says they were 'astonished,' in the greek it means to be 'struck.'

Maybe the light went on in their hearts and minds., and suddenly they saw. Preaching that makes one see the eternal and life through the wisdom of God. That all the religion that they had heard, suddenly made sense, and it was more the life of it and not the burden of religious laws.
The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. Jn 6:63

Zeke

2004/7/31 17:07Profile
ZekeO

Re: Different Translators

Quote:

it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Makes things difficult when there are so many translations around, but I get what you are saying. Thats why I put 'NIV' when I quoted it. I have heard that comment before about the foolishness of preachings, so at least now I know where it comes from. :-?

Zeke

2004/7/31 17:16Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Yo! I just want to correct something I said earlier. Foolish preaching is an offense to God. For example Binny Hinn. What I meant is that He uses something as foolish as preaching(public proclamation), as the main method so that men might be saved from damnation. That in and of itself is just crazy. Why would God entrust men, the mysteries of the Gospel, to save men. It seems foolishness right? Wrong it is the very wisdom of God, and the most glorious and fearful calling one can have. That is why God entrusts and enlists foolish objects like us to to spread the gospel. Glorious isn't!

1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. -KJV

1Co 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1Co 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]:
1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, [yea], and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence. -KJV

2004/7/31 17:23Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Makes things difficult when there are so many translations around, but I get what you are saying. Thats why I put 'NIV' when I quoted it. I have heard that comment before about the foolishness of preachings, so at least now I know where it comes from.

I often and worried about the misrepresentation of the true words of God in many translations offered in the bible marketplace in our day. Surely it was much more potent and to the point to have one major translation as the median (KJV).

Here is some help from a few commentaries to perhaps shed some more light on this paticular phrase it the scriptures:

[b]Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament[/b]
[i]Through the foolishness of the preaching[/i] - (dia thv mwriav tou khrugmatov).
Perhaps "proclamation" is the idea, for it is not khruxiv, the act of heralding, but khrugma, the message heralded or the proclamation as in verse 23. The metaphor is that of the herald proclaiming the approach of the king (Matthew 3:1; 4:17). See also khrugma in 1 Corinthians 2:4; 2 Timothy 4:17. The proclamation of the Cross seemed foolishness to the wiseacres then (and now), but it is consummate wisdom, God's wisdom and good-pleasure (eudokhsan). The foolishness of preaching is not the preaching of foolishness.

[b]The Adam Clarke Commentary[/b]
[i]By the foolishness of preaching[/i] -
By the preaching of Christ crucified, which the Gentiles termed μωρια, foolishness, in opposition to their own doctrines, which they termed σοφια, wisdom. It was not by the foolishness of preaching, literally, nor by the foolish preaching, that God saved the world; but by that Gospel which they called μωρια, foolishness; which was, in fact, the wisdom of God, and also the power of God to the salvation of them that believed.

2004/7/31 17:28Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
It was not by the foolishness of preaching, literally, nor by the foolish preaching, that God saved the world; but by that Gospel which they called μωρια, foolishness; which was, in fact, the wisdom of God, and also the power of God to the salvation of them that believed.

It seems that the [b]content[/b] of the message is the foolish part of 'preaching' that there are others 'preaching' other messages that are considered wise and a good use of the method of public proclamation. Namely Christ crucified and risen from the dead.

2004/7/31 17:35Profile
ZekeO

Re: Content

It just goes to show that if you have him on the inside, what you say about him on the outside will definitely open hearts.

He after all 'struck' the crowds!

Zeke

2004/7/31 17:50Profile
ZekeO

Re:

Quote:

Forevidence wrote:
Foolish preaching is an offense to God. For example Binny Hinn.

I know little of Mr Hinn, enlighten me to his offenses in preaching?

Quote:

Glorious isn't!

Amen! Indeed it is.
Zeke

2004/7/31 17:56Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Quote:
I know little of Mr Hinn, enlighten me to his offenses in preaching?

Ok. Well Benny Hinn is this guy on TBN, but in his so called preaching he has messed up, because he just acts like a clown, and makes the ministry look like some circus act. He says nothing powerful or provoking. He just acts. He is and actor playing a role, that is abominable, he is the abominable showmen.

2004/8/1 0:42Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy