SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Yea, Though I Walk Through the Valley

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
pastorfrin

Re:

Hi ginnyrose,

Sorry for the delay, my dear wife's mother passed away and we have not been home. Will try to get back to this soon. In the mean time would appreciate your prayers for wife and family.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2009/2/4 5:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

May God go with you during this time of grief. May you feel His presense, his comfort near....I am assuming your MIL is a Believer?

Will wait patiently for your return to the story...

God bless,
ginnyrose

2009/2/4 18:52Profile
pastorfrin

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
And then....? You sure can keep one in suspense...maybe you ought to take up fiction writing?!! :-)

ginnyrose

Hi ginnyrose,

You know in looking at my life during this time of illness it seems like fiction, though at the time it was not at all entertaining.

We have finished the business of saying goodbye to my dear wife's mother. The burial will not take place until spring as snow and ground conditions make it to difficult during winter;
so this does prolong things quite a bit.

To answer your question, yes she is with the Lord or I should say, we believe so as she did show forth the fruit of the Holy Spirit. We praise the Lord for this.

Thank you and all who prayed for my dear wife and our family during this time, we do greatly appreciate them. Love to all of you dear brothers and sisters from us all.

I will try to post the next segment of my walk this evening.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2009/2/8 7:57Profile
pastorfrin

Re: Yea, Though I Walk Through the Valley

Yea, Though I Walk Through the Valley

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

Time to Wake Up

I really, really, no I mean really, wish I was still waiting; it wasn’t so bad, I could put up with that headache for a few more days. I don’t want to wake up; it really, really, no I mean really hurts.
You say I just have to push this button and the pain will go away; Ok, now that is better, when can I push it again, in eight minutes well that’s not so long.
Yes it is, can you move that up to five, what you mean no.

That is the way it was when I woke up after surgery, all I could feel was pain and that button. I can tell you one thing, eight minutes is a long time.
I read somewhere that kidney surgery was one of the most painful surgeries you can have; well this made a believer out of me.

Oh, did I tell you about the pain? It just got gooder and gooder as our stay went along.

What was that? An alarm, what do you mean an alarm? Buzzers and bells and a continuous sounding off of this machine and that machine; what about that one over there? Oh that one is from the man in the other bed. Other bed, I thought we had a private room; they were all full so you are in a semi-private room. Ok, so why are his alarms going off constantly? They keep coming in and shutting them off and saying there malfunctioning. Seems like a good place to start a repair shop.
The alarms never stopped going the entire hospital stay, not a good place to come for a rest. If you would bring me my hammer I’m sure I could fix them.

I had surgery about four Tuesday afternoon and it was early Wednesday morning when the doctor walked in and said take the pain button away and give him pain pills; and oh by the way, get him out of bed and sitting in a chair and if that goes ok, start him walking. Say what! Walking, I can hardly move so how am I supposed to walk?
Did I tell you about the pain?

Guess what that nurse did, she shut off my pain machine so it would not administer any more medicine and then some how forgot to bring the pain pills. Six hours latter I’m dying and my wife is trying to find someone to help when she runs into the head patient rep. Well I did get the pain medicine but by now it was so sever that pills would not touch it. So here come the IV pain meds and its back to square one.

Fluids were going into me but nothing was coming out. My kidney function had stopped and things really went down hill from there.

Doctors and nurses came from every where with lab test and bottles and bags and I had more lines running into me than I thought was possible. So much so that my body cooled so much that all of a sudden I started to shiver and to shake and I have never been so cold in all my life. So here they came with hot blankets and they continued to bring the hot blankets and my dear wife just held me and prayed. All I could do was whisper under my breath, Lord keep me and my family in your hands.

It turned into a very long night, one nurse who they called in to stay right there with us, was there all night long adjusting flows and changing solutions as the doctor who also stayed and read the lab results and would order different medicines and solutions as the night wore on. As morning started to break my output became normal and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

We thanked the nurse and the doctor for their faithful care and to our surprise they both joined my dear wife and I as we thanked our Lord for His Faithfulness, for He had truly kept us in His Hands.

So who shows up after such a joyous night but the kidney surgeon with his group of interns making rounds. You know what he says? If you would have taken your pain meds on time the pain would not have gotten so severe and the crisis would have been avoided.
Say what, you are real fortunate I cannot get out of this bed because if I could I would….
Well I thought it any way and I did say that I did not order my IV pain meds to be discontinued and I did not refuse to take the pain pills that were brought six hours latter.
Now I believe they are all wacky.

Wrong Floor

After the surgeon left and my dear wife convinced me I could not just leave without being discharged; I was in the process of telling my wife how my skin under the dressing was burning when a lady walked in and introduced herself as the head of the kidney care unit from the third floor. I said third floor, this is the fifth floor she said that’s right we had no room in the unit when you had your surgery so you were placed here.
She asked if my dressing had been changed yet, we said no in fact I was just telling my wife about the burning sensation I was having from under it. She took one look and was furious; she said it should have been changed yesterday and that it was soaked through.
Well it did not take long to find out why I was having the burning sensation; I’m allergic to tape and the instructions were to only use a non-allergenic tape; well they covered the dressing with this big square of what was like sticky cellophane.
My skin was bubbled up in big blisters under the cellophane and that is where the burning sensation was coming from, I still have the scares from where the skin came off with the cellophane.
Well she changed the dressing and put some soothing medicine on the spots where my skin used to be and said, well now you can get up and sit in that chair. What chair, they almost killed me and now you want me to get out of this bed and sit in that chair. She said that’s right and if you want some clean sheets on your bed you will be there real soon.

Remember the nurse who turned off the machine that administered the pain medicine and then forgot to bring the pain pills? She was the head nurse and was also responsible for my dressing being changed.
I would not want to be her when this lady found her, ouch.

Walking

Sure enough by late that morning I was up in a chair beside my bed and in the afternoon I was walking up and down the hallway. It is amazing how far one hundred feet is when you’re pushing your IV holding rack with one hand and carrying your catheter bag and trying to hold your hospital gown shut with the other; man what a blast it was. Soon all modesty is gone and your passing words of encouragement to fellow patients as you pass one another in the hall. You can make it! Keep going you can do it!

Well that’s the way it was for my first kidney surgery and even though the Lord held us all along the way, I would not recommend it to anyone.

Continued:

2009/2/8 22:17Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Oh pastorfrin, why did you not tell us about this so that we could pray? The Lord could have taken away all of the pain. If this happens again, please let us know so that we can pray.

2009/2/8 22:35Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Well that’s the way it was for my first kidney surgery and even though the Lord held us all along the way, I would not recommend it to anyone.

Now to this I can relate...but the reality is that God uses such difficult things to teach us [i]something[/i] that we couldn't learn otherwise. Or, maybe, just maybe, God is using this to teach others something...

I did notice you did not lose your sense of humor through all this - I loved it: start a repair shop! LOL

We await the continuation of this saga...

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/2/8 22:59Profile
pastorfrin

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

Rise and Shine its Morning, Going Home Day

Remember the head nurse who messed things up so bad the first couple days after my surgery? Well guess who walks into my room and begins to ask me a bunch of questions about what I thought about my care during her shift. I knew that I was probably going home that afternoon and I was not going to give her any reason to bump me off before I got out of there; so I told her that they were all under staffed, which was true, and if I was neglected it was not her fault, which may have been a bit of a stretch.
Well you were not neglected during my shift she said; anyway I’m here to take out your catheter, so jump up here in your bed so I can remove it. You’re here to what, oh Lord she is going to bump me off and this will not be a good way to go.

Take a deep breath she said, like is it going to be my last or what, now let it out. That was it, the tube was out, whew, she didn’t kill me; in fact she was very gentle. Then she said, now as soon as you give us a urine sample and the doctor comes in and gives the ok, you will be able to go home. Well I said praise God in unison with my dear wife and we both thanked her for her care. She seemed to soften up as we talked with her and she asked us what our faith was and we both said the Lord Jesus Christ; it was then she was called out and we did not have another chance to talk with her. We have and do pray for her to this day, He knows and we just believe that she knows Him by now.

Well we waited and I drank water and we waited and I drank water and you get the idea.
The doctor must have been waiting for that urine sample because it was four hours and one urine sample latter when he arrived to discharge me.

All ok, healing well except where the skin is missing, can’t say for sure but the tumor was characteristic of a benign neoplasm. Ah a benign who or what, is that good or bad?
Oh good, ok that was cool, you carved me up to remove something that was not cancer.
Yes, but it could have turned into cancer and in time it would have destroyed your entire kidney. So it had to be removed and soon is much preferred to latter.

It was kind of unreal, an emotion I really cannot explain; I believed that the Lord had healed me but they did the surgery and removed the tumor. Now they are telling me this tumor was not cancerous, I should be jumping for joy, Praising God for His Faithfulness.
Instead I’m left with a question, when the elders came forward and anointed me with oil and prayed the prayer of faith the Sunday before I had surgery; did the Lord heal the cancer and leave the tumor behind and if so why?

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

As I proceed with telling you all about my journey I will try or give my idea of why; but one thing is for sure:

One day we will know the answer and what a day that will be!

Thank you Lord for your wonderful love.

In walks Doctor Strange

I was dressed and waiting for the nurse to show up with discharge papers, when in walks Dr. Strange. I met the young doctor in the surgery prep room where I gave my permission to be used in a clinical study he was involved in at the hospital.
The norm was to pack the kidney in ice while the blood supply is clamped off during
surgery. The study was to compare kidney function after surgery with one packed in ice, and one which had cold fluid running over it during surgery. Since I was to have surgery on both kidneys and was in good health other than the kidney tumors made me a prime specimen.

We called him doctor strange because he was always around never really saying or doing anything, he seemed to be just observing and it seemed as though, where ever we were in the hospital he would show up. He would say high and ask how I was doing and then just stand there; my dear wife asked if he was following us, he was kind of a mystery.

So Dr. Strange walks in and says, oh no they have taken out your IV port and I need to draw some blood for the study, yup you guessed it, here comes the syringe again. Ouch, I can tell why he is involved in clinical studies; he sure doesn’t have the blood draw procedure down.
He turned out to be a very tender hearted man who gave his best and truly cared for his patients. We came to know him quite well; in fact we had the privilege of introducing him to our Brother, which I will share with you all latter.

Well Dr. Strange drew the blood he needed and we all said our goodbyes and of course the reminder of see you in three weeks. Oh Lord I sure do not want to do this again in three weeks, one hundred years would be too soon.

The Ride Home

The nurse arrived with the discharge papers and instructions for caring for the incisions and the missing skin. Oh, lest I forget, a wheelchair and a goodbye. No one to push the wheel chair or carry our suitcase and supplies sent home with us; just a goodbye.
Well my dear wife put the suitcase across my legs and stacked the supplies on top of the suitcase so it looked like she was pushing a wheelchair with a suitcase with legs.
We finally found the parking garage after a few wrong turns and she saying I’m sorry after she hit every bump in the hallway. Loaded in the car we started for home, traffic was horrible and I think there were twice as many orange barrels on the way home.

It did not take long to remember what a doctor at the hospital told me when he walked into my room as I was grabbing myself in pain as I tried to cough; he said to take a pillow and keep it where you can press it against your incisions when you need to cough and I mean cough and get that stuff out of your lungs or you are going to get pneumonia.
Well how I would have loved a pillow on the ride home as my dear wife hit every bump in the road during our four hour trip and we were not to far down the road when I wished I would have taken her advice and asked for my pain meds before we left the hospital.

Well I learned to take a pillow with you when you go to be carved on and make sure you take an adequate amount of meds before you leave for the trip home; oh and one more thing, do not criticize your wife’s driving when you cannot defend yourself and she has the power to leave you beside the road. I asked her several times since if she would really do that and all she would say is complain one more time and see.

I praise my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ for our safe journey and what a blessing it was to be sitting or I should say reclined on my own sofa; having taken a sufficient amount of pain meds I whispered as I slipped off into healing sleep, thank you Lord for keeping us in your hands.

Continued:

2009/2/14 0:50Profile
dunlow64God

Re:

This is a wonderful testimony...I can see that God has really had His hand on you and your family...it gives me the faith that He will do (already does) the same for me and my family. Although we haven't been through anything quite as exciting as this! May the Lord continue to use and bless you and yours! Will be praying for you! Can't wait to hear the next installment!
In Christ,
Wendy :-D

2009/2/14 1:26Profile
pastorfrin

The Blessedness of Sleep

Most of the first week after returning home from having surgery I spent on the reclining sofa sleeping. I remember how sore my backside got from being in one position for so long a time. The recliner did not lay flat and I could not lie on either side; so I was stuck in kind of a semi sitting position. Oh the pain, talk about a real pain in the rear end, I experienced it.
I would take my meds and sleep, sounds kind of boring hey? Not so much the first week then I began to feel a twinge of life trying to creep back in and I started to get a little restless.

I would try to pray and read the word and I would go to sleep. I remember how frustrating it was knowing that my strength came from the Lord and I could not stay awake long enough to talk to Him; so I would simply say, ‘Lord keep us in your hands’.

Laid Around This Ole House to Long

After the first week I began to walk around the house some and soon was venturing out on the deck sitting in a lawn chair in the warm sun. I could pray and read my bible some and after awhile I would wake up and pray and read some more. In a couple of days I was walking around the yard and gaining more strength trying to get ready for the next dreaded journey, my second kidney surgery. No I do not want to talk about that now so let’s go to the journey down the lane.

There is a lane that splits the farm almost equally in two and it is approximately a mile long. So I cut myself a walking stick and decided to take a walk down the lane. Well the first day I soon discovered that my walking stick was way too heavy and I had not even made it to the barns, which are a couple hundred yards away. Well at least it was a start, maybe tomorrow.
Well the next day I was looking around for a lighter walking stick and I found the fiber carbon handle to one of my sons gulf clubs which the head had broken off; perfect, so off I went and this time I made it about one hundred yards past the barns before I turned around and come back. Hey I’m getting there now, I must have walked a quarter mile, round trip. There is always tomorrow and even though I was sore it did not keep me from the challenge.
You see I started to set goals for myself, today I will try to make it to the back of the first field before I turn around and come back, and I did. Next the second field and then the third, then finally the forth which would be a two mile round trip. So off I would go and every day I had to push myself a little harder to reach the goal I had set.

What an accomplishment it was to have made it all the way to the back of the farm, I had really pushed myself and man was I really tired and thirsty. Oops only one problem, It was a mile to get back home and I soon realized I had nothing to drink nor any way to get something other then to walk back home.

So after I rested awhile I started on my way toward home, soon the sun appeared from behind the clouds and I began to warm up even more and of course I started to think of how tired and thirsty I was.
It must have been a cloud that just slid by the sun, well there it is again, another shadow floating by over my shoulder going across the ground; as I turned and looked above me I could not believe my eyes, are they here for me?
There must have been thirty turkey buzzards circling over my head and they were way to low for my comfort. I yelled at them, you trying to tell me something, well let me tell you something, I ain’t dead yet and you have another thing coming if you think I’m going to be your lunch. I forgot all about being tired or thirsty and it probably helped that those buzzards followed me all the way home.

From then on until my next surgery I would walk twice a day and I always remembered to take a bottle of water and my cell phone, just in case; and those buzzards would show up every day just to cheer me on, you think.

One of my daughters, the one who’s a nurse started coming out in the afternoons with three of my grandchildren and they would walk with me. We would talk about the Lord and of course the grandchildren would ask all kinds of questions.
Papa what’s this? Papa what’s that and why are those big birds following us around? There waiting to eat us I would say and they would answer me, no papa, you’re just kidding, right and I would just smile at them and scream run, their going to eat us.
At first this was not funny to them and they would run to my daughter, soon it was all fun and they would scream run papa run their going to eat us.

Some days we would take a picnic basket and stop on the way back to have a little picnic together.
What a wonderful memory to picture my daughter and grandchildren sitting around the picnic basket with me, eating our lunch and watching the buzzards circle.

My one granddaughter was in a stroller and it was not to long before I could push her all the way to the end of the lane and back again and all of it started with setting a goal to reach every day, one day at a time. I believe there is a lesson here somewhere.

This all was a wonderful time of healing for me, we have always been a close family and this seemed to only bring us all closer.

We would thank the Lord everyday for His wondrous love and the time and life He had given us together. Oh how we love you Jesus, thank you for keeping us in your hands.

Continued:

2009/2/16 20:44Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I believe there is a lesson here somewhere.

Nothing profound, but since I was a child many moons ago I would guess it is the fact that "grandpa went on a walk and we joined him and he would tease us about those turkey buzzards....and then we would have a picnic...that was so much fun!" These memories would come back and give them lots of pleasure. It is the little things that do not seem so big that children remember and take pleasure in. Adults have been spoiled in that we no longer relish the small pleasures of life.

My opinion...now, for the rest of the story, I await.... :-)

ginnyrose

2009/2/16 21:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy