SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Homeschooled Football Star wears 'John 3:16' in Championship Game

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Homeschooled Football Star wears 'John 3:16' in Championship Game

This young man is not known to us but he is a local hero in the big city closest to us - Gainesville, FL.

I read somewhere else that he personally did much work in New Orleans after Katrina. It is good to see young men standing for Jesus.

http://www.christianpost.com/Entertainment/General/2009/01/college-football-star-sports-john-3-16-in-championship-game-09/

(Original headline)College Football Star Sports 'John 3:16' in Championship Game

Kind regards,
white stone

2009/1/10 15:41Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Homeschooled Football Star wears 'John 3:16' in Championship Game

Yes...and he spends his summers working with his parents (missionaries) in the Phillipines.

He seems to share his faith no matter where he goes. He reminds me of Eric Liddel (the Scottish Olympic champion...who died while doing missionary work in China during WWII). Yes, it seems that Tim Tebow is a godly guy. It was great to see him share his faith after winning the national championship.

:-)

2009/1/10 15:47Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Hello Chris,

You know, at first we started cringing when we saw him, because he was on the local news every night. It seemed that his name was the only one the sports reporters knew. Now that we are aware of his faith and how he shares it, I like to hear him mentioned. Although, you would think there were no other players on the team to hear the news folks talk. I do not think this is Tim's doing, he seems to stress the team and not himself.

Some day I will look up Eric Liddel and learn more of his life. The name stands out in my memory, so perhaps I know of it and have become befuddled. I am elderly, you know. :-)

Kind regards,
white stone

2009/1/10 15:55Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi White_Stone...

Eric Liddell was the central focus of the film [i]Chariots of Fire[/i]. He was a Scottish runner...very fast...but he lacked precision training of most runners of his day. He once fell down in a race (supposedly pushed down), but got back up and won the race! His running style was strange too...because he used to look up when he ran. The film focused on his refusal to run an Olympic race (that he would have probably won the gold medal in) on a Sunday, which he considered to be the Lord's day.

Eric Liddell didn't want to run...because he worried that it would steal glory and praise that should be reserved for God. His pastor told him something like this: "[i]The same God that made you smart also made you fast. You can run and bring glory to God through this[/i]." He would share his faith with nearly anyone who would listen. He even preached during the Olympics! Eric Liddel would tell people, "[i]I believe that God made me for a purpose. He made me for China. But He also made me fast. When I run, I feel His pleasure.[/i]" He also stated in a major newspaper, "[i]We are all missionaries. Wherever we go, we either bring people nearer to Christ, or we repel them from Christ[/i]." In the 1924 Olympics in Paris, he ran a race for which he had not formally trained...and won the gold medal.

After the Olympics, he gave up competitive running. He then became a missionary to China. Once, during the rations at the outbreak of the war, Liddell actually caught a rabbit by outrunning it (with which he fed his family and others). Eric Liddell died in 1945 while confined to a Japanese occupation camp during the war. Today, he is still considered Scotland's greatest athlete.

There is a lot of talk about the similarities between Eric Liddell and Tim Tebow (the quarterback for the University of Florida). Both of them were born to missionary parents in Asia. Both of them were considered outstanding athletes with great natural ability. Tim Tebow is one of the most accomplished college football players in history. He has already won two national championships...and one Heisman trophy (the award for the greatest college football athlete...of which he was the first sophomore to ever win it).

This year, Tim Tebow was one of the top three finalists for the Heisman. During the summer off season, Tebow returns to the Phillipines to work with his parents and other missionaries. When asked whether he was going to go to the NFL, he says that he is uncertain. He may return to finish school at the University of Florida. He might join the NFL. He might even return to the mission field. What is unique about this is that he tells people and the media that he is praying about it.

What a great example to people seeking direction in their lives!

:-)

BTW, Tim Tebow's mom shares how she had a bad infection while she was pregnant with him. The doctors recommended an abortion...and she refused. She ended up giving birth to a VERY healthy son.

2009/1/10 18:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy