SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Billionaire Merckle commits suicide

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Billionaire Merckle commits suicide

[b]Billionaire Merckle commits suicide[/b]

Adolf Merckle, one of Germany’s wealthiest men, committed suicide after weeks of talks with creditors designed to save his businesses from being consumed by disastrous investments and the global financial crisis.

The billionaire, 74, was said by his family to have been “broken” by the sight of his business empire, which ranged from pharmaceuticals to cement, crumbling. He died on Monday evening, apparently hit by a train a few hundred metres from his home in southern Germany.

A statement from his family said he had taken his own life. “The desperate situation of his companies caused by the financial crisis, the uncertainties of the last few weeks and his powerlessness to act, have broken the passionate family entrepreneur.”

The publicity-shy billionaire was one of Germany’s most powerful industrialists having built his family’s small pharmaceutical business into a 120-firm conglomerate ...

read more: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f9557fac-dc05-11dd-b07e-000077b07658.html

2009/1/7 10:55Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: Billionaire Merckle commits suicide

My husband and I read this last night. It is very sad. There are no words to make it right. Only Jesus.

white stone

2009/1/7 11:05Profile
HeartSong

"We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed: But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; By pureness, by knowledge, by long suffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned, By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed; As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things."
[i]- 2 Corinthians 6:1-10[/i]

Oh Lord,
make us living examples, that others may see, that all of our hope, is found in Thee.

2009/1/7 12:44Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Interesting, I opened our prayer meeting yesterday with a reference to this event.

Many people in the world are shaken up to the core. We can bring good news to those who are weighted down by debt, fear for their jobs, and look into a bleak future. With Christ We have so much to give to a dying world!

2009/1/7 12:52Profile

Re:

It sounds like 1929 all over again.

Makes me glad I dont have much material possession. I'm not going to jump out a window if someone comes and takes my 28 year old rusty pickup truck from me.

Merckle should have put his treasures in heaven.

Krispy

2009/1/7 13:59

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy