Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Home schooling grows

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Home schooling grows

[b]Home schooling grows[/b]

The ranks of America's home-schooled children have continued a steady climb over the past five years, and new research suggests broader reasons for the appeal.

The number of home-schooled kids hit 1.5 million in 2007, up 74% from when the Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics started keeping track in 1999, and up 36% since 2003. The percentage of the school-age population that was home-schooled increased from 2.2% in 2003 to 2.9% in 2007. "There's no reason to believe it would not keep going up," says Gail Mulligan, a statistician at the center.

Traditionally, the biggest motivations for parents to teach their children at home have been moral or religious reasons, and that remains a top pick when parents are asked to explain their choice. ...

read more: http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-01-04-homeschooling_N.htm

2009/1/5 12:25Profile
LoveGodsWay2

Ohio, USA

Re: Home schooling grows

Quote:
Traditionally, the biggest motivations for parents to teach their children at home have been moral or religious reasons, and that remains a top pick when parents are asked to explain their choice. ...

That is why my wife & I do it.

[b]6 “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. [/b] Deuteronomy 6:6,7

2009/1/5 12:51Profile

Re:

We have an incredibly large number of homeschoolers here in NC... but sadly, the economy is cutting our numbers down. Dad's are losing their jobs or taking pay cuts, and moms have to go out and try to get a job just so the family can survive.

It's distressing.

Krispy

2009/1/5 15:36
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Krispy

We have had a few moms that have had to come up with some ways to keep home schooling here. One family has dad working days and mom working nights, they are splitting school responsibilities just to keep children out of public school. Others are having grandparents who are supportive step in and teach while mom is working. IT is very distressing. How are things for you and yours going? Still praying for everyone :-)

God Bless
MJ

2009/1/7 16:18Profile

Re:

As for me and mine... we're doing ok. I just know that for many homeschooling families times are extremely tough. Especially for dads who are contractors.

Things have become very tight for us, but we've got our heads above water. One thing that helps is we are debt free. If we werent I dont know how we would be making it right now. But God is providing. My trust is in Him.

Krispy

2009/1/7 16:55

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy