SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anyone failing?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
daniel-

Germany

Anyone failing?

Hello dear people,

in our pursuit of God and holiness I think we face many dangers and many hardships. The greatest one being maybe the revelation of our true selfes and our self-rightouesness, even after having walked with the Lord and wanting to really know God and live a holy life with all of our hearts.
I simply want to confess that inspite of all my efforts, I am a terrible failure. We all „know“ that and we theoreticelly agree with these truths of our own inadequacy but it is something different when everything you had clinged too in terms of „my“ devotion, „my“ whatever is totally and absolutely failing in reality. Not in terms of comitting great sins...but simply realizing that what I am before God is total wretchedness.

So, maybe we could encourage each other. When we really want to please the Lord we are prone to create our own holiness and try reflect that standard to the outside...even though on the inside we might be desperate. So, I want to simply confess that in spite of my very best efforts and seeking God with all of my heart...I am a total failure. I hope this encourages other people who may feel the same way. You are not alone and the Father knows. He is the one bringing us to that point so that „no flesh shall glory in his sight“. The only hope we have is Him and his mercy. None of us is any better than the worst, carnal church that we secretly like to look down on so that we feel better in our own so called „holiness“...

And yet, I can rejoice because Paul says that he is „pleased with his weaknesses etc...“ ...in my weakness His strength is perfected. The secret is to find ones pleasure in Christ alone. Not in what I perform but literally in Him alone. May we come to that place where we are willing to lay down all of our secret pride and find everything in Him.

Daniel

2009/1/4 14:04Profile
HeartSong

Re: Anyone failing?

Quote:
May we come to that place where we are willing to lay down all of our secret pride and find everything in Him.

Amen.

2009/1/4 14:08Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Thank you.

How often I find myself wanting others to think I'm so emminently holy and mortified, all the while it is a stench to God. Truly in Christ alone our hope is found.

One preacher said "why be proud you don't attend rated R movies when you have rated R thoughts?"

In Christ,
Taylor

2009/1/4 14:10Profile
reformer

Quote:

daniel- wrote:
Hello dear people,

in our pursuit of God and holiness I think we face many dangers and many hardships. The greatest one being maybe the revelation of our true selfes and our self-rightouesness, even after having walked with the Lord and wanting to really know God and live a holy life with all of our hearts.
I simply want to confess that inspite of all my efforts, I am a terrible failure. We all „know“ that and we theoreticelly agree with these truths of our own inadequacy but it is something different when everything you had clinged too in terms of „my“ devotion, „my“ whatever is totally and absolutely failing in reality. Not in terms of comitting great sins...but simply realizing that what I am before God is total wretchedness.

So, maybe we could encourage each other. When we really want to please the Lord we are prone to create our own holiness and try reflect that standard to the outside...even though on the inside we might be desperate. So, I want to simply confess that in spite of my very best efforts and seeking God with all of my heart...I am a total failure. I hope this encourages other people who may feel the same way. You are not alone and the Father knows. He is the one bringing us to that point so that „no flesh shall glory in his sight“. The only hope we have is Him and his mercy. None of us is any better than the worst, carnal church that we secretly like to look down on so that we feel better in our own so called „holiness“...

And yet, I can rejoice because Paul says that he is „pleased with his weaknesses etc...“ ...in my weakness His strength is perfected. The secret is to find ones pleasure in Christ alone. Not in what I perform but literally in Him alone. May we come to that place where we are willing to lay down all of our secret pride and find everything in Him.

Daniel

Thanks for the transparency...I too am a failure and I thank you for posting this, because I have failed. I agree with so much you have written, its as if I wrote it.

lets encourage one another to move forward.

Reformer

2009/1/4 14:58Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Quote:

reformer wrote:

lets encourage one another to move forward.

Reformer

I like the thought. I just posted a similar one in a rather lengthy post. Here is at least a portion that relates specifically.

One final point; when a person posts a thought, let’s not pick it apart. Paul West had a very good reply that got picked apart. There will be times we have to raise a little caution, but we are all here hopefully to learn and grow, but as there might be one thing to pick at there is usually several to highlight. There is much need, when our comments are read by who knows how many, for them to be full of grace and truth.

Thanks Daniel for starting the thread and Reformer for this good addition to it.

2009/1/4 19:56Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy