SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Children’s clothing at secondhand shops will vanish

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Children’s clothing at secondhand shops will vanish

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2009/01/03/hand-me-down-clothes-in-the-post-hand-me-down-era-consumer-protectionism-gone-too-far/

For those of you who haven’t heard the news yet, on February 10, 2009, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act comes into effect. One of the major changes that this program will bring into play is a mandate that everything sold for children 12 and younger will have to be tested for lead and phthalates, and anything that isn’t tested (or that fails) will be considered hazardous and cannot be sold. . . .

Where things get interesting is with used products. Consider your local resale and thrift shop. Currently, all of their secondhand children’s clothes will have to be tested for lead and phthalates. Given that many such stores aren’t high-income operations - many are nonprofits - these shops simply cannot afford to do the testing on the children’s clothes on their shelves.

With the coming hard times this will be an added burden on American families. I know, personally, if I could not buy used clothing (even for myself and my husband) we would be wearing rags.

Loosely quoted, Ronald Regan said the 11 most dangerous words are, "I'm from the Government and I am here to help you."

Regards,
white stone

2009/1/4 10:17Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Children’s clothing at secondhand shops will vanish

And I read that thrift shops are doing a booming business since the downturn of the economy...wonder if this rule was formulated when things were going well with the economy. I would guess if the people would rise up and cry ""FOUL"" perhaps it might change?

I used to shop at thrift stores when we had to clothe four boys. One could buy nice clothes if you were careful. And they all lived well without any harm or undue illnesses.

Sometimes I am glad I am 61 YO and no longer have the challenge of raising children...but I have [almost] eleven grandchildren and for their parents I grieve.

ginnyrose

2009/1/4 19:11Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy