SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is love?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

What is love?

One thing that was really present at Greenock was the love of God and Jesus and the love of each other!

In the world Romance and love is puported and raised to a level which is sickening, it is always in the music and in the songs? How is Gods love different from the World's love?

I struggle with this question because in a world which is focused on communication using mediums our world seems a world of voyeurs of love, what I mean by that is that they are so busy watching people love one another that love is not prevalant.

God designed us to love and mainly love him

Lu 10:27 - Show Context
So he answered and said, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,' and 'your neighbor as yourself.' "

What I hate with this verse it gets taken out of context in the case for say gays! Liberal Christians use this verse but to love God you have to hate homosexuality! You have to hate sin because God hates sin!

Lu 11:42 - Show Context
But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

Then the other side I would admit I can be Pharisaical sometimes, you notice they passed by justice and the Love of God!

Lu 6:35 - Show Context
But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil.

Romans 5
7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Lu 6:35 - Show Context
But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil.

He died for us whilst we were yet sinners, nothing good in us at all, decided to leave his royal throne and be born as a baby! Neglect his ommnipetence and omnipresence and his divine charatacteristics to take the form of a servant and die on the cross!

The reason I struggle is the world can essentially love something that is beautiful but jesus can essentially love something that is not beautiful even wicked,

1Jo 5:3 - Show Context
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

How does this relate to our personal relationships, to one another if we love Jesus we will obey him and read our bible as you cannot love God unless you read his commandments to then obey them!
Then loving your brother

1Jo 4:20 - Show Context
If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

This is not easy, I would say I am a personal flop on this one!

1Jo 4:8 - Show Context
He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

1Jo 4:10 - Show Context
In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

1Jo 4:16 - Show Context
And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.

The reason I struggle with this is because this is theological and not pratical!

2Co 5:14 - Show Context
For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died;

Like Paul it is the love of God that compels me to save sinners by preaching on the street.
I do not want them to go to Hell!

Then it comes to practical issues like girls this is one issue I would have no clue how to love a wife as I am not experienced but want to be!

Eph 5:25 - Show Context
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,

In the bible it talks about Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself for her!

Is love essentially to do with giving!

Joh 3:16 - Show Context
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

As God loved the world by essentially giving his son! In essence the opposite of that phrase would be if he did not give his son he would not have loved the world!

Is love physical, if you say sit in a church and say noone says hello or asks how you are ?
You would essentially say that church is unloving because they have not communicated with you or say given you a hug.

There is also the aspect that there is no love without truth, A person who lies to you

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, F42 but have not love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

The thing that has been hitting me is the only three things that will last in eternity our faith, hope and love. I wish this could hit harder!

How do we have love in a world that is lustful,
C S Lewis descibes lust as say someone who say discards the object love, he uses the idea of a packet of cigarettes only used for pleasure once used thrown away and discarded and of no value!

To have love you essentially have to have truth as say a church lying to its congregation about what it is doing with its money, is essentially creating an illusion.
Presenting something in which it is not,
God I want to be truthful before you and other people with your grace!

Our whole world lives in an illusion not wanting to come to the reality that there is God that loves them.

1 Peter 5:8-9
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because F30 your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

The verse that I was trying to find is about the verse that says that the devil steals, kills and destroys this is whom the world has made king in place of our king!

Isnt this terrible! Our nation states have made the devil king of this world until the kingdoms of this world become the true kings!

Re 11:15 - Show Context
Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!"

I struggle with love because I yet do not know love himself!
To pray more we know jesus more!
In this world of Illusion and Shadows where people do not communicate, If you sit in say Mcdonalds it is not often you hear people talking about each other, I cannot remember the survey.
DVD's was the most talked about subject by the world it has probably changed now!
How can we get to know one another if we do not know ourselves and we cannot know ourselves unless we know the god that created us! and designed us!

Church lacks the communion of the saints, yet we need preaching! This is what I loved at Greenock!

If there is anything theologically wrong please correct me!
As I am struggling with the issue what is love?
Deliver me from lust!
Dom

2009/1/3 18:51Profile
AEA

Northeastern Nevada

Re: What is love?

Dom, you quoted 1John 4:8 and 16 in your quest for a definition of love.

That is the definition. The others are how it is demonstrated etc.

I remember Don McClure saying something to the effect that God is Love, so when we ask for love we are really asking for Him. When we ask for peace Ephesians 2:14 says He is our peace. When we ask for joy, Neh 8:10 says the Joy of the Lord is our strength.

Whenever we ask for godly attributes we are really asking for Him.

Don't take yourself too serious. You're right where He wants you, desiring Him. :)

2009/1/3 19:26Profile
trxx

ON Canada

I too remember questioning, "What is love?" I figured that it must be important because Jesus gave us the Reader's Digest condensed version of everything that God tried to teach the nation of Israel, His chosen people, "You must love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength and your neighbour as yourself." But I didn't really understand what love was so I prayed and asked God to show me. A night or two later He very clearly gave to me to understand that love is a choice. This was new to me; I always thought that love was some emotion. Love may or may not include that feeling or emotion. As a matter of fact it may contradict our feeling. That's when we need to choose to love despite our feelings. Do you think that when someone slaps you on the cheek that you feel like offering him your other cheek? More likely if you are like me you feel like responding in the same manner but you have to make a conscious choice rather to love that person by doing what is right to do and not striking back. Like Jesus said, its easy to love someone that loves you, the whole world does that, but the challenge is to love someone that isn't very loveable. The same applies first to our relationship to God. Even though we do not feel like loving God, spending time with Him in prayer and Bible study when we are tired and pressed for time yet choose to spend that time with Him we are in fact choosing to show our love for Him. Its easy to love Him too when we feel His presence or get caught up with our emotions but the hard part is when we do not feel or sense His presence and yet we choose to be with Him because we trust that He is there. Sight is one of our five senses. Faith is simply trusting that something is when we may not be able to sense it. When we choose to do the right thing to do despite our feelings or emotions we are actually walking in faith and not by sight. When we choose to spend time with God even when He does not seem near we are walking in faith and that is pleasing to Him. That is real love. Anyone can love Him when He surrounds us with His presence and His love. But when He withdraws the sense of His presence in order to test our love for Him will we still seek Him? It can also be said that love is what you do, not what you feel. The world thinks it is only what you feel.

2009/1/3 23:09Profile
HeartSong

Quote:
One thing that was really present at Greenock was the love of God and Jesus and the love of each other!

Yes - it was like riding upon a cloud. The fellowship of the saints. At every turn finding more of Him.

Something the Lord showed me the other day was that when we hug one another, we are bringing our hearts close together - to share our joy, or to share our grief. I realized this partially from Greenock, and then at a funeral the other day.

God is love - and with that knowledge, all of the rest of the pieces will fall into place.

2009/1/5 2:41Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy