See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : the book of enoch

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
formidable

Perth, Australia

the book of enoch

was just wondering about peoples views on this book?
have people read it?
how it relates since it isnt in the cannon of scripture?
also why do peter&jude quote from it?
what were peoples views if they did read it?

2004/7/25 0:47Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: the book of enoch

Hi Formidable,

Never even seen a copy of it, a could question to ask is why was it not included in the bible? For based on that answer one could get a could idea of what to think of it.

For it to have been quoted there must have been some truth in it, but not wholly enough to be in line with what we have in the cannon.

ZekeO

2004/7/25 16:00Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Never even seen a copy of it, a could question to ask is why was it not included in the bible? For based on that answer one could get a could idea of what to think of it.

You can review it here on SI in the articles section:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=509]The Book of Enoch (apocrypha)[/url]

I have personally read right through the apocrypha writings and I found alot of it very intresting but many things I saw where in clear error and didn't match up with the inspired writings. I think that it is worty to read these writings and glean from them some things but not to put them anywhere near the authority of the Scriptures.

2004/7/25 16:26Profile
InigoMontoya

Michigan

Re:

I've always found Enoch's writings fascinating. But agree with Greg, we need to be really careful with them.

There are a few "versions" of them out there, that can be quite different, so who knows which is more accurate... I sure don't. I just believe that it hasn't had its integrity preserved like the rest-majority (don't want to get into that debate) of Holy Scripture-Bible.

If you've read the Bible with alot of prayer and guidance from the Holy Spirit and are familiar with alot of Greek-Roman mythology.... I think you're find something interesting while reading it though!

One thing that has always intriqued me was if it truly was considered part of Holy Scripture up till, what? 300AD or so? Atleast the history of the book and its disownment from the Bible-most churches seems a bit shady.

I've also seen some major false teachings being reinforced by points-interpretations of Enoch, so again... just don't take it all as the infaliable word of God. IMO

2004/7/25 20:01Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Like any other apocryphal (deutero-canonical) books, the [i]Book of Enoch,[/i] is not part of the inspired canonical writings. Therefore, it is to be viewed like any other spiritual writing, a reference that does not carry the authority of the Bible.

Nevertheless, some scriptural writers did quote from the book or allude to it. However, they did not acknowledge it as inspired scripture (no "For it is written in the scripture..."), nor should we assume that they fully endorse the contents of them. I might quote John Wesley in my writings, but that does not mean I fully embrace his theology.

I do think it is helpful to read it and understand it. This book is a part of the historical and literary context of first century Judaism and will therefore offer some help in understanding Peter/Jude. Nevertheless, I think everyone of us here will agree that only the Bible is authoritative, and that our spiritual nourishment must be firmly rooted in the Word of God.

2004/7/26 10:39Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Nevertheless, some scriptural writers did quote from the book or allude to it. However, they did not acknowledge it as inspired scripture (no "For it is written in the scripture..."), nor should we assume that they fully endorse the contents of them. I might quote John Wesley in my writings, but that does not mean I fully embrace his theology.

Yes its like in the Scriptures when they refer to a peom, saying, proverb that was used in the world. The Scriptures would use that idiom or example to prove a spiritual point but the ideas or words in that phrase necessarily wasn't divine and came from the lips of God. Do you know exactly where they refer to the book of Enoch? Is it just in Jude?..

2004/7/26 10:44Profile
5nva

Re:

Jude 24 says that Enoch prophesied.

I think it is important to note that it says he prophesied but it does not mention a book of Enoch.

I'm sure there are others that prophesied but that does not mean we should have a book by them.

I have also heard some people use the book of Enoch to support some strange beliefs.

In Christ,

Mike

2004/7/26 11:31Profile
Zapthycat

Livermore, CA

Re:

I know very little about it, never read it...

I heard, however, that the first half of the book was written by Enoch, however the second half of the book was added several centuries later.

That in itself would make me reluctant to consider it inspired.

-JW

2004/7/26 13:39Profile
Rahman

Re: the book of enoch

How i was led to familiarization with the Book of Enoch (amongst others), and why, has already been posted at;

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2289&forum=41&5

So i'll not repeat it here ... But led i was, and its discovery has been nothing but a blessing for me in that it's filled in (for me) some of the gaps of Genesis quick synopsis of pre flood activity i used to wonder about ...

Enoch is my #1 all time favorite OT saint, and first writer and visionary prophet ... Enoch saw first, on a grand scale, what all subsequent prophets (other than John's Revelation) saw in miniature ...

Scripture states of this wonderful and exemplary man of God;

Gen.5: 24 - And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him ...

I've just always loved that expression "walked with God", even as a small kid, when i first remember my dad reading it to me ... Also ...

Heb.11: 5 - By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

And finally ...

Jude.1:14 - And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints ...

Well to read Jude's snipet of this prophecy of Enoch doesn't even begin to illumine it in it's entire context ... I found the Book of Enoch, and the Book of the Secrets of Enoch to even drive my faith deeper in that it talks of the end time, the man of perdition, and the third Jewish temple even there ...

If the Lord is about to lead any of you thru these writings i must tell you that it can't be done in the spirit of fear ... You have to believe in the Holy Spirit's ability to try the Spirit by the Spirit, and that when you ask Him to seperate the wheat from the chaff for you He will do so, that's what i did and as i said i'm a much stronger believer because of it, other than that stay out of the Apocrapha and/or the Epigrapha, which some call the Psuedepigrapha and scares many saints to distraction ...

Here's a very helpful link for the intrepid ...

http://pws.prserv.net/cuttingedge/Psuedo.htm

2004/7/26 17:57Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Greg,

Quote:
Do you know exactly where they refer to the book of Enoch? Is it just in Jude?..

I correct my earlier statement. [i]1 Enoch[/i] is only quoted in Jude. Jude also quotes the [i]Assumption of Moses[/i].

I have serious doubt about the claims that said Enoch (in Genesis) is somehow the (co-)author of [i]1 Enoch[/i]. As far as I know, it is written during second century BCE. I personally find more historical value than spiritual value in this work.

S.

2004/7/27 11:39Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy