SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : A Man with an Experience (Reflections on Liverpool and Greenock)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

A Man with an Experience (Reflections on Liverpool and Greenock)

It has been said that a man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument. Modern thinkers counter this (and often rightly so) with a plea to reject subjective experience as any real indicator of truth and reality. On the thread "Just who IS responsible for this state of affiars" Taylor made a comment concerning the subject of the Holy Spirit speaking actively and presently in the churches,

Quote:
This is really an entirely different topic, in some sense, than the original post, so perhaps, if people want to discuss this topic, it could be discussed in another thread. However, the topic has been discussed at length here before.

It is important for me to state that I have always felt a sense in which God needed to speak in a congregation. That we should try to hear and speak what the Lord desired for us to share- and with unction.

What I underestimated is how important it is to hear what Acts 20 calls, "The word of His grace." I had gone through some terrible times and trials that had left me battered and bruised. I had not reacted to these rightly and often covered the extent of my condition by a business as usual attitude.

But God determined to deal with me about it. He put in my heart to travel to the UK and visit some churches and attend the conference in Greenock. I was out of character in that I did not speak a whole lot. It was if I was dumb struck. I always have plenty to say it seems, but not now. There was a strange quietness to me.

One night when heading to Greenock we went to a service in Liverpool where the word of the grace of the Lord was present. Through the sharing and ministry of the saints God spoke to me heart. He gave me a personal diagnosis of my condition. He showed me the obstacle to my fully comprehending His love and grace. It was a great encouragement, but God was not done.

You know, I must have read the bible through many times. I have put much scripture to memory and even attended bible college a few tears. I loved to study apologetics and discuss soteriology, eschatology, pneumatology, and all the other '-ologys'. I studied Jewish Roots and all kinds of 'isms' (Baptism, Pentecostalism, etc.). I read the classics and was baptized in Leonard Ravenhill. Did I mention I was baptized in the Spirit in 1992? I tried legalisms and all sorts of stuff.

But the devil had been pounding a sore place in my heart for years and years. He knew how to hit where it hurts and it was taking a toll on my life. I had also been raised in what I call a 'Finney type' hair trigger damnation theology. I could not fully appreciate God's love for me. When I stumbled I felt utter rejection. All the time I was badgered by the feeling that I have to be strong. I can't let them see me sweat. Pride goeth before...

Liverpool was the place God spoke to my heart. Greenock was where He brought what He was doing to pass. The words that were shared in Greenock that I heard were a commentary on where I was and where I needed to be. It told of what I needed in my life. I needed [i]the word of His grace[/i] on an ongoing basis. Lord, what are you saying to me today?

God showed me to stop filtering His grace and mercy out of my reckonings and know that He loves me. What a rest that is! The PRESSURE to perform has been lifted. I am just able to walk with God now. So much self imposed pressure and condemnation. God was saying there is now no condemnation to those in Christ that walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit, but I had to tweak that down a bit to make it more severe. I listened to the enemy lie to me that things have to be more severe than that.

SO this is why I have an even more definite resolve to hear the word of His grace in my life. I want others to experience it also. It is the provision that God wanted to bring all alone. I traveled some 4500 miles to find it. He showed me it was OK to be holiness and still appreciate His grace.

Nothing I had ever done brought me here to this place of freedom. No studies and no amount of prayer. I needed to hear directly from God. Not a proof text, but I needed an absolute sense in which God was speaking to me this truth. I found it! My life is not the same. Let others hug their chains, but I will seek to hear what the Spirit is saying to me. Not in flakiness, but in a sound theological construct that is willing to let God be God without contradiction. It is God's gift of grace to me!

It will truly be a Merry Christmas this year.

2008/12/25 8:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: A Man with an Experience (Reflections on Liverpool and Greenock)

Quote:
SO this is why I have an even more definite resolve to hear the word of His grace in my life. I want others to experience it also. It is the provision that God wanted to bring all alone. I traveled some 4500 miles to find it. He showed me it was OK to be holiness and still appreciate His grace.

Nothing I had ever done brought me here to this place of freedom. No studies and no amount of prayer. I needed to hear directly from God. Not a proof text, but I needed an absolute sense in which God was speaking to me this truth. I found it! My life is not the same. Let others hug their chains, but I will seek to hear what the Spirit is saying to me. Not in flakiness, but in a sound theological construct that is willing to let God be God without contradiction. It is God's gift of grace to me!

Brother,

What a powerful testimony of the God's great work in your life. What a blessing to to hear how God touched your life in the UK. It was very good to see you again and spend "some" time fellow-shipping. What a wonderful this life is! Only a preparation for eternity.

2008/12/25 9:00Profile

Borhter Robert writes.....

"God was saying there is now no condemnation to those in Christ that walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit, but I had to tweak that down a bit to make it more severe. I listened to the enemy lie to me that things have to be more severe than that."

Praise God for the freedom found by my brother in Christ. There is a sleeping army of Roberts out there, hugging their chains. Good people, bound by legalism and other isms and all kinds of things, but bound. I can hear the chains falling to floor brother and it brings tears to my eyes to know that others will feel the Love of God, and that this will be their motivation to serve Him, all this and Holiness too, what a wonderful God we serve. This is a message shared at the last prayer conference we had, exactly in line with Robert's experience........Frank

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26457&forum=36

2008/12/25 16:45
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
What a powerful testimony of the God's great work in your life. What a blessing to to hear how God touched your life in the UK

It was a wonderful time indeed! It was good to see you Bro. Greg and Eli, Frank, Ron, Micky, Daniel, Ben, DeltaDom, and a host of others. You know who you are. Narrowpath prayed with me also Thursday.

There was such a powerful presence of God there, especially Wednesday. The prayer meetings were awesome and left me almost speechless. Men and women crying out to God in earnest.

Pardon me for wanting to keep talking about the trip to the UK. God gives us precious gifts and to travel to the UK has been a long standing desire of my heart. I'm still rejoicing!!

The Fellowships I attended were life changing experiences also. To spend time with a dear brother was an absolute God thing. What a great and mighty God we serve! There are so many wonderful people I have met through SI.

I truly believe God is doing a mighty and marvelous thing. I think we may be seeing God move us more in a reformation type way than a mere revival (as awesome as revival can be). I believe God is doing powerful things that are taking us right back to genuine church life and I am so so excited about it!

2008/12/25 21:12Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Praise God for the freedom found by my brother in Christ. There is a sleeping army of Roberts out there, hugging their chains. Good people, bound by legalism and other isms and all kinds of things, but bound. I can hear the chains falling to floor brother and it brings tears to my eyes to know that others will feel the Love of God, and that this will be their motivation to serve Him, all this and Holiness too, what a wonderful God we serve.

Amen.

Praise be to God!

2008/12/25 21:27Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Pardon me for wanting to keep talking about the trip to the UK. God gives us precious gifts and to travel to the UK has been a long standing desire of my heart. I'm still rejoicing!!

I am rejoicing with you, and being blessed from hearing about your experiences. I thank you for sharing with us that did not attend.

2008/12/25 21:30Profile

Re:

" I think we may be seeing God move us more in a reformation type way than a mere revival (as awesome as revival can be). I believe God is doing powerful things that are taking us right back to genuine church life and I am so so excited about it!"

This is a word that the Lord has given to many. Yes, He speaks to His people!!!! There is a reformation coming, not because we deserve it, but because the Lord loves His people and He "So loves the World," That love has not diminished.....brother Frank

2008/12/25 23:32
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Thank you Robert for sharing that. I need to hear that. I can see myself in your journey. We are so surrounded by cheap grace and license that I often feel tempted to counter it with strictness and legalism. Strictness and legalism can be acquired, grace can only be received which makes it so humilating.

narrowpath

2008/12/26 7:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy