SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Purpose Driven Life

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
theevangelist

United States Of America

Purpose Driven Life

I would like to know what other thoughts people have on Rick Warren's book "A Purpose Driven Life". Does anyone feel this book is more of a psychological piece of junk or Gospel truth? From what I've read so far, it glorifies man's ways and programs over Christ and "The Faith"(the finished works of Christ). What are your thoughts?

The Evangelist

2004/7/22 19:22Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Purpose Driven Life

Oh, it's come up a few times around here :-(

Here is a couple of threads:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=1393&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]Purpose Driven Life vs. My Utmost?[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=1916&forum=12&post_id=&refresh=Go]The Purpose Driven Craze[/url]

These are related more towards The Purpose Driven Church:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2595&forum=42#16499]Apostolic Christianity and the Transfer of Wealth[/url]

[url=http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/pied_pipers_of_purpose.htm]The Pied Pipers of Purpose[/url]

2004/7/22 22:30Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

This book is a piece of trash. If any 'Christian book' is being sold out in secular book stores can't possibly be of God. It is an abomination that the church has allowed. I had a couple of friends of mine go to his whack Saddleback church. They dont even have Bibles!? Anyways, he preaches a soulish gospel and if you haven't noticed, it has not changed the moral climate of our churches or our nation. That in and of itself says it all. Peace. God bless.

2004/7/30 2:53Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Hi [b]Forevidence[/b],

I take issue with your reasoning completely.

[b]First,[/b] the fact that a Christian book (no quotation marks) is being sold in secular book stores does not say anything about its merits and demerits. The secular book store in my neighbourhood sells Bibles as well; by [i]your[/i] logic, the Bible cannot possibly be of God?

[b]Second,[/b] the behaviour of a small number of attendees at Saddleback does not thereby nullify the soundness of a book or a preacher.

Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion. But I would rather you interact with the [i][b]content[/b][/i] of the book (which is what a "book review" means), rather than making sweeping generalisations like this.

Please respect the fact that there are genuine, devoted Christians who hold different opinions on this book. What really [i]"says it all"[/i] is ultimately our attitude and love (or lack of) towards our fellow Christians.

2004/7/30 11:13Profile
Janus

Cape Town - South Africa

Personally I have not read the book yet, even though I bought it to read it. From what I see in people's lives who read the book, I don't think it is a deep book.

I read the papers as given below in
The Pied Pipers of Purpose also given in another reply and from that I don't believe the book to be inspired by God, but rather man trying to mix his ideas with that of God - something that can and will never work.

I will urge every one to take a look at the websites and papers, as it gives one quite an insight in where this book and new theology comes from and where it is leading.

It is that theology that takes the same languge into their mouths as the Bible and the gospel of Jesus Christ, but have a totally different basis and outcome in the end. It is the smooth cross theology, something that won't ever bring you to God or heaven.

Here is just a quote from discernment ministries.

Love in Christ
Janus

DISCERNMENT MINISTRIES, INC.
P. O. Box 254

High Bridge, NJ 08829

May 1, 2004

From the Editor:

There is no doubt we are seeing a world-wide phenomenon. It is overwhelming in the speed of its growth. From the Purpose-Driven website the following is a quote:

Right now about 5,000 more churches are doing the 40 Day of Purpose campaign, and now the program has been adopted by corporations (like Coke and Walmart) sports teams (like the Oakland Raiders and Green Bay Packers, NASCAR drivers, and the LPGA) schools, civic clubs, and even prisons. Last week, Paul Harvey told everyone to go buy a copy of PDL on his ABC radio broadcast. He said "This is one of the most insightful books I've ever read and I will read it again...and again...and again." In 2004 we expect over 15,000 more churches to participate.

Discernment Ministries has been sending out a newsletter for fifteen years. As we have watched developments unfold in the church we knew that there was indeed a “plan” unfolding. However, none of the researchers had a clear picture of the “plan”. Many articles and newsletters have been written. There is a plethora of information available on the internet. God has used many diverse, and for the most part unobtrusive, servants to glean facets of truth. These dedicated folk have not sought any earthly reward. Their only desire is a burning love and zeal for the Gospel of Jesus Christ to be preserved in its purity. Several research conferences were held in which we were all aware that parts of the puzzle of giant proportions were indeed coming together. For the first time this has been laid out in a clear and defined manner in the booklet, which we have enclosed. Because of the urgency of the subject matter, it was decided not to wait until a book was completed, but to make available to you Part 1 of The Pied Pipers of Purpose. This booklet is extremely important and you will want to obtain copies to give out – especially to pastors and church leaders. We are indeed humbled and blessed by the dedicated commitment of God’s people to truth. Our prayer is that the many leaders who have been caught up in the excitement of building mega churches will “stop, look and listen” before they deviate from the true call of the Gospel of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

We are sending this out to you in place of the May/June newsletter. As the Lord provides, we will also get the booklet out to our mailing lists in Europe, Australia, South Africa and other parts of the world. Printing and postage costs are exorbitant, so every donation helps tremendously.

Our request is that you read this booklet prayerfully and check out the research for yourself before making judgments. Be a true Berean!

In the Service of the King,

Jewel Grewe

How one man's gospel tale became a global bestseller

For one of the most powerful religious figures in America, Pastor Rick Warren looks very casual. Wearing a blue Hawaiian shirt and loafers, he puts his feet up on his office table and cracks a broad grin. 'If I didn't believe in Jesus, I would be a millionaire with a yacht, sitting in the sun on my own island,' he laughs. 'But instead I am a pastor.'

Warren, dubbed 'America's pastor' by the media, has written one of the biggest-selling books of all time, generating tens of millions of dollars. He heads one of America's five largest 'mega-churches' and runs a religious network that spans the globe. If his religion were a business, then Warren would be a Wall Street mogul.

His influence is growing all the time. He now plans to deliver a copy of his religious self-help tract, The Purpose-Driven Life, to every US soldier serving in Iraq. 'Copies are already hitting the sand,' Warren said. He is also preparing a trip to Britain next year when he will headline a meeting of the Baptist World Alliance in Birmingham alongside former President Jimmy Carter.

Yet Warren is not a household name. He has crept under the media radar while building his religious empire. He has been a guest at the White House, he ministers privately to some of the most important figures in American industry and was instrumental in helping market Mel Gibson's controversial religious blockbuster, The Passion of the Christ .

The Purpose-Driven Life has sold a staggering 20 million copies worldwide. It is, Warren says, selling a million a month. 'If you took Bill Clinton's book, Hillary Clinton's book, the latest Harry Potter and the Da Vinci Code and added them together, you still would not get the same as The Purpose-Driven Life ,' he boasted...

Warren sits in a spacious office on the 'campus' of his Saddleback Church in the prosperous Lake Forest suburb of Orange County. He is on a mission that stretches far beyond Saddleback, far beyond America even. That mission is world domination. 'We need a billion footsoldiers,' he said 'If you love Jesus, we are on the same team.'...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1258742,00.html

2004/7/30 11:15Profile
Janus

Cape Town - South Africa

Re:

Hi Agent001

Sometimes we as fellow christians see it as lovelessness when others confront us. In Paul's letters he really confrunted the church members, even though some of them believed and had different opinions than he did.

I dont think we should make anny assumptions regarding the love or lack of it, especially over the internet and that of a brother with whom you might have to spend eternity!!

I urge you to rather get hold of the pied papers I think it is and read and see for yourself. If our eyes is first opened we will all stagger at what is happening in this world!!!

Love in Christ
Janus

2004/7/30 11:30Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

I agree with the sentiment that the book "is a piece of trash," but I also disagree with the reasoning that any book that sells well in secular stores cannot be from God, or that unchristian behavior among small parts of a pastor's congregation necessarily destroys his credibility as a Christian author. If a church has good discipline you shouldn't see too much of the latter, and if the book is sufficiently anti-sin you you shouldn't see too much of the former, but if it's a pastor from a fairly large church or one with deficient discipline (which isn't good, but not exactly the mark of the beast, either), and it's a sufficiently well-written book on some theological topic not overly connected to the sinfulness of the reader...

2004/7/30 13:59Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
First, the fact that a Christian book (no quotation marks) is being sold in secular book stores does not say anything about its merits and demerits. The secular book store in my neighbourhood sells Bibles as well; by your logic, the Bible cannot possibly be of God?

Agreed brother I found the book "Why Revival Tarries" by Leonard Ravenhill in a Chapters (secular) bookstore and that book changed my Christian walk from apathy to fervency and starting this ministry. So yes there are [b]some[/b] or very little good books in secular stores but in the same estimation there are very few good books in Christian book stores! go figure... except from some of those old used book ones [grin]

2004/7/30 14:39Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Well, the reason I mentioned that argument about it being in a secular bookstore is not just because it is being sold in a secular store, but rather the fact that it is being sold out in a secular store in which non-believers are being it. Now that can be good if the book can change your life like the bible or'why revival tarries.' But we see it thus far that it has not changed our church or state. The book has no power in it. It simply brings forth that lukewarm, abominable, and watered down gospel. The fact that people's life has changed has nothing to do with it either. Your life can change reading the satanic bible. Even positive change is not good enough. It has to be Holy Spirit filled change we see in the bible, and that eventually will change our nation. All these people recommend it but it has really done nothing. The fruit of the man's ministry is highly questionable, because of the people that are under him. If the people don't see an importance to cleave to their swords(bible), what does that tell you of the pastor? Saddleback is one of the biggest churches on the southern california area, and yet southern cali is still the same. Im just weary of big hipe that doesn't produce big Holy Ghost results. Thus far this book has made millions of dollars off Christians, and the church is still bankrupt of spiritual riches. So that's my opinion.

2004/8/1 0:35Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Thus far, I fail to see much interaction with the [b][i]content[/i][/b] of the book itself. I have yet to see a fair assessment of its [b][i]content[/i][/b]. It appears that the only [i]"sin"[/i] that the author commits thus far is that of writing a best-seller and being successful (but of course, the fact that he does not pocket the money for his own personal gain seems to be conveniently omitted as usual).

The book is not the greatest book on earth (However, I think it has a balanced approach to Christian spirituality--even though it is more introductory than in-depth). I do not think it will rank high among many other spiritual classics. So it is surprising that it has become a best-seller, and we can probably attribute this to media hype. Nevertheless, there's nothing in the book that indicate to me that it is an [i]"abomination of the church"[/i]. Contrary to such thinking, I happen to think that God (not Satan) has used this book to arouse the spiritual thirst of people who would otherwise be reading [i]Chicken Soup for Pet-Lovers[/i].

Now comes my very personal opinion: I think a lot of people, Christians included, simply cannot stand others being successful.

2004/8/4 10:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy