SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Judge Unto Themselves

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

A Judge Unto Themselves

This has troubled me for some time, and I have said very little about it, but I now feel I must.

Am I the only person on this site that cares about backing up a point with either real life evidence, or a scriptural reference that is in context?

Am I also the only person that cares about points made in an argument being addressed?

I debate with people on this site all the time, and the majority backs nothing with scripture, answers almost no points that are made at all, yet the whole time seems to have an easy conscience about telling me I am deceived.

I know I am not the only one, but I want to challenge anyone who reads this to examine whether you are arguing a point without using the word of God to back it up. Because that is foolishness.

I'm just frustrated over the nonsense arguments that are produced by this practice.

2008/12/17 11:49Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re: A Judge Unto Themselves

Quote:
Am I the [b]only person[/b] on this site that cares about backing up a point with either real life evidence, or a scriptural reference that is in context?

Am I also the [b]only person[/b] that cares about points made in an argument being addressed?

I know I am [b]not the only one[/b], but I want to challenge anyone who reads this to examine whether you are arguing a point without using the word of God to back it up. Because that is foolishness.

I'm just frustrated over the nonsense arguments that are produced by this practice.

well brother, I haven't been on this site for a few months, but last I remembered there were many people who had scripture in context to back up their beliefs, whether I agreed with them or not.

I don't know, maybe things have changed, but I would be willing to say that there are probably still many people who say what they believe based on the word.

But I was away for a little while, so I could easily be wrong.

Just some thoughts brother,
Phil

2008/12/17 12:17Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Well, I hope you are right, but every time I come back to this site after small 2 or 3 month sabbaticals from it, I find less and less people who's arguments maintain truth.

Rather it seems like a big group of people who do nothing but criticize every ministry out there, and have none of there own.

2008/12/17 13:18Profile
rbanks

Re:

The problem that seems to be most probable, is interpreting scripture accurately. The scripture tells us that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge. I for one, like to depend on the Holy Spirit to give me understanding, on what is the true interpretation, concerning the scripture that is before me. I always read within context of what is stated before and after a certain scripture.

I also am more conservative in my approach to the understanding of scripture because of a fear of God concerning a right interpretation. I don’t want to be in error and do not want to lead someone wrong. I believe from scripture that God is holy and will have no mixture of light and darkness.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

I think we all need to be more like Paul, in not shunning, teaching the whole counsel of God. We don’t need to debate one another in our beliefs but consider one another to provoke unto love, exhorting one another, and sharpening one another concerning our walk with God.

2008/12/17 14:07Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Quote:
Am I the only person on this site that cares about backing up a point with either real life evidence, or a scriptural reference that is in context?

Come on, Ben. You've been here long enough to know better. This thread is going to accomplish nothing but stir up more debate and ill-feeling. If you have a personal issue with someone in particular, PM them, take it behind the scenes. If it's more than one person, send out multiple PM's that encourage unity and friendship.

The way you are doing it now is not conducive, not with the Elijah syndrome of "it seems like it's only me doing the right thing" and everyone else is slacking. I realize you are speaking hyperbolically, but I also know that your intentions here will not be taken seriously if you persist with the fingerpointing. It sort of defeats the whole purpose of your exhortation, doesn't it?

Your friend in Christ,

Paul

2008/12/17 14:21Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Well, brother, I have not seen a lack of people backing up their points with scripture when discussing a theological issue. Sometimes the scripture lists are so long I get bored and go read shorter posts. :-o

Let's see - I cannot think of a scripture to support my observation...

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/12/17 23:17Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

I suppose you are right Paul, I'm just frustrated.

2008/12/18 17:57Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I suppose you are right Paul, I'm just frustrated.

I know you are, dear brother. I get frustrated too; our jobs here can get pretty taxing. The thing to remember is this: everything is a test in the school of God. Try to think of frustrations and tempatations as heavy weights, weights to be resisted in order to amass muscle. We grow in grace by resisting frustration, and learning to counter it with gentleness, sobriety, cool and calm collectiveness. The Lord carefully monitors his children in these areas. Think of SermonIndex as a spiritual gymnasium, with all kinds of weights and treadmills and work-out machines and ellipticals to choose from. From each person here - from the most mature down to the most immature - there's something to be gained: wisdom from the strong, self-control from the weak.

Here's some wisdom - try it yourself and see how itr works: next time you have an urge to vent frustration, pause and pray and send a gracious PM to your offender. Encourage peace and unity in the beauty of meekness and see what happens. This doesn't mean that you'll have to concede, but what it does do is instantly snuff out the sparkling fuse and put you in a position of respect and admiration. Best of all, you pass the test in God's eyes, gain added strength for your next assignment, and, best of all, experience a deeper depth of God's grace.

Brother Paul

2008/12/18 18:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy