SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 24-7 Prayer Movement

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Everlast

Missouri

24-7 Prayer Movement

I have recently read some very interesting information on the 24-7 prayer movement and wondered if anyone else has heard about it, participated in it, or what have you. If you have an opinion...one way or the other, I would be interested in hearing about it. It's awesome to think there are people actively praying right now for the world and God's hand in it.

2004/7/21 22:48Profile
Everlast

Missouri

Re: 24-7 Prayer Movement

Philologos...I see that you are from Reading, UK...are you familiar with a "Boiler Room" there at an old pub? It is part of the 24-7 prayer movement...or I should say was, I understand that the building was recently torn down, so they are looking for a new place. Just curious.

2004/7/23 1:05Profile
formidable

Perth, Australia

Re:

i have read 2 books by the founder of the 24/7 prayer movement there great reads,Pete Greig is his name red moon rising is 1 of them the other was over 5 years ago about when it started about revival & reformation.
he did a talk a few years ago about it at a youth event was really good

2004/7/25 0:16Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

I happen to go to a church that is sister church to IHOP in Kansas city. It is called Ethnos House of Prayer. This house's goal is to go 24/7. Up to this point it has not been accomplished, but is making process towards it. It will be awesome to have one in the center of Southern Cali. I have heard of some in Canada,UK, and Northern California. This movement reminds me of the Moravian revival in a smaller degree. The only thing that I am kinda cautious about is that book that you said "Red moon rising." It is a pretty good book but the model they put out for the boiler rooms seems to 'artsy.'People are painting and doing like arts and crafts stuff, all centered around Jesus of course, but it's not prayer. You can't paint pretty pictures when you are travailing for the lost, wait I take that back, cuz if your are a modern artist you dont have any actual skill.J/k. Anyways, you can't travail and groan for revival while painting silly pictures or putting together collages. We are trying to get too relevant, and in the process have got irrelevant. We need to go back to 'Gethsemane' type prayer, where the only picture were painting is with our sweat and blood, the picture of death to self!

2004/7/30 21:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Anyways, you can't travail and groan for revival while painting silly pictures or putting together collages. We are trying to get too relevant, and in the process have got irrelevant.

I have seen videos of this happening and it totally blew me away.. It reminded me of pagan relevery (raves) and other situations which dont foster true godliness, what a sad state people think they are worshiping God with a clean conscience but rather being a grief to God. These type of prayer movements will not tear down the strongholds of the devil, I agree brother you are right one! we need [b]'Gethsemane' type prayer[/b] without any additions.

2004/7/30 22:14Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is a quote from a Brother that was at the Sialkot Conference in 1906. For you that don't know the Sialkot Conferences where held annually in India and where for the building of a deeper spiritual life primarly for missionaries and also pastors. John Hyde known also as 'Praying Hyde' was the keynote speaker for most of the conferences. Here is that missionary brothers testimony of his experience at the conference:

"God wants those who are willing to beaer the burden of the souls of these millions without God, to go with Jesus into [b]Gethsemane[/b]. He wants us to do this. It is a blessed experience to feel that in some measure we can enter into the fellowship of Christ's sufferings. It brings us into a precious nearness to the Son of God. And not only this, but it is God's appointed way of bringing the lost sheep back to the fold. He is saying, 'Who will go for us, and whom shall I send?' Are you who read these words willing to be intercessors? If we are willing to put ourselves into God's hands, then God is willing to use us. But there are two conditions: obedience and purity. Obedience in everything, even in the [i]least[/i], surrendering up our wills and taking the will of God. and the next step is purity. God wants pure vessels for his service, clean channels through which to pour forth His grace. He wants purity in the very center of the soul, and unless God can have a pure vessel, purified by the fire of the Holy Spirit, He cannot use that vessel. He is asking you now if you will let Him cleanse away part of your very life. God must have a vessel He can use."

What powerful and provoking words I am sure it will be an encouragement and even calling for some.

2004/7/31 1:05Profile
formidable

Perth, Australia

Re:

i wasnt saying i thought the pictures on the walls was good, i guess with a lot of things they start with God then we like to take over then they end in the flesh with programs to try & get us back to the place where we should be if only we would trust him.
i will say though his first book was way better then the second about how it all came about much more emphasis on revival & reformation.
on the other hand whos to say there wernt people travailing in prayer?

2004/7/31 3:09Profile
Everlast

Missouri

Re:

I will agree with formidable in that who are we to judge or cast pronouncement on artwork, songs, poems, etc. If someone is truly seeking after God and they are most able to profess their love by writing a poem or a song, or even drawing something with the artistic talents God has given them, then I don't see anything wrong with that. How many of our hymns, or worship songs...old and new would be around if the men and women who wrote them weren't crying our their hearts to God and best expressed it in the written word. This could also include drawings, sculpture etc. Now I don't mean these things should be a substitute for prayer, or become the only means of prayer, but if God has gifted you with something, then wouldn't the most obvious thing to do be to use it to glorify God. Regardless of it becoming known (such as a song) or if it's a personal thing between you and God. I think that is what these prayer rooms are inspiring...not something for show, or even saying it's the only way to pray. It is just that these people have such a love for God that it comes out in their God-given abilities. I am encouraged that their is an army of prayer warriors in the world today, and that even right now, at this hour; there are people travailing and interceding for the lost and God's will.

edit: About the IHOP thing...surely everyone on this board realizes that there are people and groups that take God given concepts are twist them to their own means, allowing their flesh to take over what God has begun. I don't personally agree with everything that IHOP in KC is doing. But to throw out the 24-7 prayer movement based on one churches interpretation of it... Also regarding the boiler rooms...they do have artistic means to it, but see my above post. They are also places that are open 24-7...for anyone who needs a place of sanctuary...funny that the church was once a place of sanctuary, but is now usually only open 1 out of 7 days, or if it's open during the week is for official business.

2004/8/1 22:58Profile
dcking

Re: 24-7 vs. IHOP

comparing the 24-7 movement and the IHOP movement (which God launched the same month interestingly enough) is kinda like comparing apples to oranges - yes, both are fruit (ie prayer), so that makes them the same, but they are different too.

IHOP is more focused on intercession/travailing for the coming of Christ - Bridegroom stuff. They are also a bit more conemporary woprship music orientated. They are also more of a "Temple" model (ie. centralized).

24-7 is more focused (although not exclusively by any means) on entry level pray with your average person learning how to pray and express their heart to the Father anyway they like (ie dance, art, vocal, silent, music, etc). The worship the movement generally embraces is more raw and fringed reflecting the global youth culture that has embraced the movement (although obviously other ages and worship styles are represented). Finally, 24-7 is more of a "Tabernacle" approach to facilitating the prayer with week or month long prayer rooms popping up all over the place - it's a non-central movement.

These are big brush strokes for each movement and are obviously not all-encompassing, but it highlights some of their specific DNA.

God is a very creative person, so lets not get all fussy about which prayer movement he has released (and he's released BOTH) is better or more appropriate. People are praying like never before on this planet and it is in large part due to IHOP and 24-7 - wild!! Let's celebrate it and jump into one or the other with both feet!!

Grab a copy of 'Red Moon Rising' and celebrate what God's doing. Attend a 'OneThing' conference and celebrate it (hmmm ... notice one is a book and one is a conference - there's that tabernacle vs. temple thread again!). It's all God!

COME ON!!

2004/8/5 19:08Profile
DaveRoberts

Re: painting

If the bible is our criteria then the issues related to people painting in a prayer room come into focus. In the scripture we find the artists using their skills to create the temple and Belzaliel being inspired by the spirit to create.

The Bible also suggests that smell had a role in worship(Alabaster Box lady) taste (your words are like honey to my lips, nature of passover meal) sight (the colours of the rainbow, heaven, imagery of song of songs), touch (sackcloth, touching of leper), hearing (trees clapping, cedars splitting, water roaring)

I am sure that Gethesamane prayer is a good and helpful way to talk to God, but other than this one incident what other biblical patterns reinforce it. To value it is one thing, to elevate it above other ways has no biblical precedent

Dave Roberts

2004/8/6 19:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy