Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The River of Life

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorfrin

The River of Life

The River of Life

Ezekiel 47:1-2
Afterward he brought me again unto the door of the house; and, behold, waters issued out from under the threshold of the house eastward: for the forefront of the house stood toward the east, and the waters came down from under from the right side of the house, at the south side of the altar. [2] Then brought he me out of the way of the gate northward, and led me about the way without unto the utter gate by the way that looketh eastward; and, behold, there ran out waters on the right side.

Unlike most great cities, Jerusalem was not situated on a great river.… So, many of the prophets, who looked forward to the better times to come, laid their finger upon that one defect, and prophesied that it should be cured.…

And so, this prophet [Ezekiel] casts his anticipation of the abundant outpouring of blessing that shall come when God in very deed dwells among men, into this figure of a river pouring out from beneath the Temple-door, and spreading life and fertility wherever its waters come.…

From beneath the Temple threshold comes the water of life; and wherever it is true that in any heart … God dwells, there will be heard the tinkling of its ripples, and freshness and fertility will come from the stream.

The dwelling of God with a man, like the dwelling of God in humanity in the Incarnation of His own dear Son, is, as it were, the opening of the fountain that it may pour out into the world.
So, if we desire to have the blessings that are possible for us, we must comply with the conditions, and let God dwell in our hearts, and make them His temples; and then from beneath the threshold of that temple, too, will pour out, according to Christ’s own promise, rivers of living water which will be first for ourselves to drink of and be blessed by, and then will refresh and gladden others.

Alexander Maclaren, Exposition of Holy Scripture

2008/11/28 9:52Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: The River of Life

Quote:, '...brought me again unto the door of the house...'

Does the 'house' refer to the house of God, the temple.

If so, the waters that issued from it tells us they issued from God.

Scripture also tells us in John 7v38, 'He who believes in Me, as the scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'

Believe, and it will flow.

God bless.

2008/11/28 10:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy