SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : God commands all men to repentance

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

God commands all men to repentance

For God, being a God of mercy from the beginning, called every generation to repentance by righteous men and prophets. He instructed those before the flood by Abel and Seem, and Seth, also by Enos, and by Enoch that was translated; those at the flood by Noah; the inhabitants of Sodom by hospitable Lot; those after the flood by Melchizedek, and the patriarchs, and Job the beloved of God; the Egyptians by Moses; the Israelites by him, and Joshua, and Caleb, and Phineas, and the rest; those after the law by angels and prophets, and the same by His own incarnation of the Virgin; those a little before His bodily appearance by John His forerunner, and the same by the same person after Christ's birth, saying, "Repent ye, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand;" those after His passion by us, the twelve apostles, and Paul the chosen vessel. We therefore, who have been vouchsafed the favour of being the witnesses of His appearance, together with James the brother of our Lord, and the other seventy-two disciples, and his seven deacons, have heard from the mouth of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by exact knowledge declare "what is the will of God, that good, and acceptable, and perfect will" which is made known to us by Jesus; that none should perish, but that all men with one accord should believe in Him, and send unanimously praise to Him, and thereby live for ever.

(from Ante-Nicene Fathers, Volume 7)

I was thinking of this, and some scriptures come to mind:

Eze 18:30-32 [i]"Therefore, I will judge each of you, O people of Israel, according to your actions, says the Sovereign LORD. Turn from your sins! Don't let them destroy you! Put all your rebellion behind you, and get for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O people of Israel? I don't want you to die, says the Sovereign LORD. Turn back and live![/i] ~ NLT

Act 17:29-31[i] Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man's devising. Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead."[/i]

repentance,resurrection,judgment

Art Katz said in one message i heard this morning, "Who will be the man in this generation to go up our mars hill? there is no guarantee of returning"

Repentance, the essence of it, is deeply connected with the resurrection life, why then? are there so many who claim they repented, but we see no sign of the power of HIS resurrection in our life's? i speak about myself as much as any other.

Php 3:10 [i]that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,
[/i]

that I may know HIM....

this [i]knowing[/i] HIM, i think is the very heart of everything, atleast it has been on mine for some time, that i may know HIM

2008/11/19 15:12Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: God commands all men to repentance

Praise the Lord that he has given us the means of knowing him: the Scripture!

As we seek to study the Scripture, and the Spirit works in us both to will and do of God's good pleasure in obeying the Scripture - rooted in true belief in Christ, surely we know God.

Grace to you,
Taylor

2008/11/19 16:56Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: God commands all men to repentance

Quote:
that I may know HIM....

this knowing HIM, i think is the very heart of everything, atleast it has been on mine for some time, that i may know HIM

Amen brother. Thanks for posting this.

2008/11/19 17:04Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

TaylorOtwell wrote:
Praise the Lord that he has given us the means of knowing him: the Scripture!

As we seek to study the Scripture, and the Spirit works in us both to will and do of God's good pleasure in obeying the Scripture - rooted in true belief in Christ, surely we know God.

Grace to you,
Taylor

Amen, although it is possible to know HIM without having the scriptures to ;-)

grace and peace

2008/11/20 0:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy