SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Letter to Diognetus

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

The Letter to Diognetus

The Letter to Diognetus, the work of an unknown author, written in about 130, describes Christians to the Romans as follows:

[b]"They dwell in their own countries simply as sojourners.... They are in the flesh, but they do not live after the flesh. They pass their days on earth, but they are citizens of heaven. They obey the prescribed laws, and at the same time, they surpass the laws by their lives. They love all men but are persecuted by all. They are unknown and condemned. They are put to death, but [will be] restored to life. They are poor, yet they make many rich. They possess few things; yet, they abound in all. They are dishonored, but in their very dishonor are glorified.... And those who hate them are unable to give any reason for their hatred." [/b]

---------------------

The thought arrises in m own mind, would my unconverted friends and family describe me this way?

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26014&forum=34]article[/url]

2008/11/13 23:56Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: The Letter to Diognetus

Quote: 'And those who hate them are unable to give any reason for their hatred.'

Ironically, it might seem we have it so good as Christians in the western world, that no one seems to hate us.

But, we could all give the names of different groups that hate us, because we are Christians.

They fight and war against us because we believe what the word of God says and live according to it, thus making us enemies of this world.

However, to be an enemy of God should be our greatest fear.

God bless.

2008/11/14 1:35Profile
LoveGodsWay2

Ohio, USA

Quote:
And those who hate them are unable to give any reason for their hatred.

Why do you think they hated them?

Was it their message, the gospel?

Was it their actions?

Was it caused by "spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places" (see Eph 6:12)?

2008/11/14 8:49Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

John 15v18, 'If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.'

Verse 19 also tells us that if we were of the world, the world would love us. But since Jesus chose us out of the world, the world hates us.

And yes, the spiritual hosts of wickedness hates us also, but if God be for us, who can be against us?

2008/11/14 9:07Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[i]They obey the prescribed laws, and at the same time, they surpass the laws by their lives.[/i].

Quote:
And those who hate them are unable to give any reason for their hatred

[i]And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil [u]hateth[/u] the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.[/i]

2008/11/14 9:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy