Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : water baptism

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Delboy

Worthing UK

water baptism

I visited a church today where baptisms where taking place it was a great celebration as it should be.
my question is
Is it important what words we use when immersing people EG "upon confession of your faith i baptise you into Jesus, in the name of the father, Son, and Holy Spirit."
Are the words important? :-)

2004/7/18 18:09Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re: water baptism

I don't think the words of the baptizer determine whether or not it is a "valid" baptism, but rather the intention of the heart of the baptizee. Obviously, if it's something really wacky I suppose the baptizee (upon understanding, perhaps years later, the bad choice of words) would feel uncomfortable about it and perhaps later seek another, more Biblical baptism. I think the point is that a person should earnestly seek to know and obey what God desires of them, whether it's baptism or anything else.

As for what words are Biblical, the main thing many insist upon is the use of the words "the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" (some minor variations), referring to a "Trinitarian" baptism. Certain Pentecostals (notably, the United Pentecostal Church) don't believe in the Trinity, instead they believe Jesus-only, and baptise "in Jesus' name" only, which, though strictly speaking is Biblical (that baptismal phraseology can be found, i.e. Acts 2:38 if I recall correctly), is a perversion and rejection of Jesus' direct and clear command

Matthew 28
19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

The Oneness contention is that "Jesus" is the name of all three but this assertion is readily cast into serious doubt by many Scriptures, such as only the Father knowing "the time" and not even the Son knowing it; Jesus' having a different, although submitted, will than the Father in Gethsemane, etc... Also, this would be an odd place for Jesus to be so vague in His commands, particularly one so important.

2004/7/18 19:49Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Well said Keith.

Just as there is no magic in the water, there is no magic in the words used. It's all about what is in the heart of the person being baptized.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/7/18 20:03Profile
All2and4Him

Re:

The words can be very important. Just a good word of advice. If anyone says "I now baptize you in the name of the devil", get out quick! Hehe

But really, I am confident that it doesnt matter the words being said. What I know is essential is that the person being baptized knows he is dying to the old self, and rising cleansed through the death and ressurection of Christ. If they are just doing it as a statement, and dont even know what they are stating... well then it doesnt matter what the pastor says, they just dont get it, and the baptism isnt anything more than getting soaked for Jesus.

All to and for Him

John

2004/7/19 2:53Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

We have touched on some aspects of this topic previously. Readers might be interested in this thread. Acts 2:38

2004/7/19 3:20Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

Hi,Kieth,Ron(S) and John,
thanks for your thoughts, very helpful and thanks for the Acts 2;38 link
I guess there can be a cycle of topics and questions.Thanks to you guys for patience :-)

2004/7/19 15:27Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy