Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Your ministry

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
MJones

Missouri

Your ministry

When I saw Willo's 'Journal of a Journey' thread that contained many posts of one journey, I thought it would be good to start a thread in which many journeys are briefly described.

In general, Ephesians 4 states that God has given gifts to His church for the purpose of building it up. When each person does their part, the whole body is joined and held together by every supporting ligament.

So the thread:
One or more postings that describes what you do.
One or more postings that describes the highlights or struggles (to keep it real) in the ongoing of what you do.
A posting of how what you do came about.

This may be edited over time, but this should be enough to get things going.

I will post this and then post my ministry seperately.

2008/11/8 13:01Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re: Your ministry

I have been a Christian for 30 years and have been active in my church for many of those years. So much so that I got burned out. A few years ago, I back out of all my duties and simply sought God for myself and what He might do through me.

I decided to journal my thoughts as I studied and had my time with God. It is a blend of journaling and communication with God. Writing helps me to stay focused on the issue and thereby helps me to clarify my thoughts. It is a very rich time through which ministry has come.

Spending the time I do with God, I litterally feel as if I am filled with Him. Where before, I knew about abundant life and taught that it was available to us, I had never known it as I do now.

As I sensed that all I was experiencing was for a purpose beyond myself, part of my seeking was for a discovery of that purpose. I began to notice that as I talked with individuals, I looked for opportunities to work Him into the conversation. As it was often a very good experience, I began to pray for more oportunities. Today, I find I have many opportunities per week to talk with individuals regarding spiritual matters. Some come as a name comes to mind and I call them to meet me for breakfast or lunch. Others just happen in the course of a day.

There are other things, but in an attempt to keep it brief, I will end here and post more another time.

2008/11/8 13:41Profile
MerleW

Lancaster County, PA - USA

Re:

In light of your testimony, I believe you will find the following link very interesting.

http://christreformed.wordpress.com/2008/10/24/2008-revival-conference/

2008/11/8 13:45Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

MerleW,

I did visit the site and I did find it very interesting. I often say that in the past, I worked for God; now I walk with Him. There is no comparison.

MJ

2008/11/8 13:55Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I often say that in the past, I worked for God; now I walk with Him.

That blessed me wonderfully. One sister tried to get me to see that years ago, but it did not "click" until you said it now. She said she had come to the place where it was no longer her desire to be "used" by God as if she were some tool. The young pup I was in the Lord at the time, I did not comprehend that. I was burning on fire, ready to tell the world about Jesus, and greatly desired to be "used" by Him. Indeed, but it is not about being "used" by Him, but rather, simply "walking" with Him. Enoch walked with God, and had a wonderful prophetic ministry, being the first of the prophets to forsee the second coming of Christ. But we don't read about that ministry until Jude, several thousand years after the fact. For the thing that set apart Enoch, was not the dynamic prophetic ministry that he had-- though he most certainly did have that-- but rather, the thing that set him apart was, "that he walked with God."

2008/11/8 23:43Profile
JoanM

Re: Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret

Hudson Taylor labored many years (16) in China before he discovered a "secret" in 1869.

"[i]In 1869 Hudson was influenced by a book called "Christ Is All" by Stephen H. Tyng given to him by a fellow missionary. He referred to his new understanding of abiding in Christ for the rest of his life. He was quoted by fellow missionary Charles Henry Judd as saying: 'Oh, Mr. Judd, God has made me a new man!'[/i]"[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hudson_Taylor”]Wikipeda[/url]

The Old Paths, Issue 6, page 16-17, describes some of this in the article [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/mail_si/oldpaths/oldpaths_july2007.pdf]“J. Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret.” [/url]

One of my precious possessions is a copy of a 50-year journal/collection of quotes on the secret you have discovered. The collector kept it under his bed and read from it before sleep nightly. The wife of his youth read to him in the last few days of his life (90+). His last words to her when she finished reading and added a blanket, were deep appreciation. She said she was uncertain to whom he was referring: to her, the author of the passage she read, or his beloved present Lord.

2008/11/9 1:56Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

I will try, in response to your good comments, to relate our mutual appreciation for the life of Hudson Taylor, an experience I had regarding the book, 'Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret', and another piece of ministry I feel God has given me.

First of all, I appreciated as much as any, his comments on the passage in John where Jesus said if anyone is thirsty, let him come and drink. It was a turning point in his life as he realized he could and should come often and that if he did, it would be like springs of living water welling up in him. I had found the same to be true and could relate to his discovery.

Secondly, God has worked in me a passion to write in order to convey the truths I have learned from Him. One of the forms of writing I enjoy is poetry, which led to the experience I had with Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret.

Thoughts had begun to stir regarding the rest I had found in God. Usually when that happens, I feel compelled to convey thoughts in poetic form. As I was thinking of doing that with these thoughts, which I do in my liesure, I felt compelled this particular day to play instead. My wife and I went into town for an early dinner and then to the bookstore to kill a little time.

While there, 'Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret' caught my eye. I picked it up and could not believe my eyes when I saw the 4 line poem that begins the book. It inspired a poem that I will include in this post.

'Thy Work - To Rest in Me'

My thoughts were turned toward His rest;
I thought a poem to write.
Would have labored long and hard I guess;
Would have tried with all my might.

But I guess to emphasize the point
Of resting more in Him,
He bid me play in my free time,
Which lead me to this gem.

I like to put my thoughts to rhyme;
It's just the way it is.
But it seemed to please Him in this case
To show me some of His.

Had I written my own I'm sure,
Been twenty lines or more,
But He said it all and made the point
And it only took Him four.

'Bear not a single care thyself,
One is too much for thee;
Thy work is mine, and mine alone;
Thy work - to rest in Me.'

Unknown

2008/11/9 11:33Profile

Re:

That was a good comment by that sister.

Both Caiaphas and Judas were 'used' by God, but only those who walk with God can have a 'use' that is commended of God.

Most people see or hear of God using others for good, and want the same for themselves. What they don't realize is that person that was used for good has walked with God, and so God used them. False religion sees this 'use for good' as somehow redemptory and wants it for themselves.

The desire to be used of God has in most cases become a cart before the horse event.

2008/11/9 12:10
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Hudson Taylor

Really appreciate the things you all are sharing here. Did some searching and found that there is a free version of Hudson Taylor's book at CCEL:

[url=http://www.ccel.org/t/taylor_jh/secret/home.html]Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret[/url]

The version available there requires Microsoft Reader if you do not already have it, it can be downloaded here;

[url=http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/pc.mspx]Microsoft Reader for Desktop and Laptop PC[/url]

2008/11/9 21:24Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re: Your ministry

I started this thread to encourage as many posters as were willing to do so, to give a brief discription of their ministry and the unique way, out of their relationship with God, that He has initiated ministry through them.

In this post, I would like to convey a thought, regarding our specific ministry, that came to me from Hebrews 11 and 12. Many times I have read the story of Abraham and have been inspired by his faith to seek God and would always hope He would speak to me as clearly as He did Abraham. He wouldn't; my faith would fizzle; and then I would get back to life as normal.

I have been inspired and stirred by many of the stories that Hebrews 11 highlights. I have read 12:1 many times and in light of 'such a great cloud of witnesses', have been stirred to believe God for great things. The focus has always been on the great things that this cloud of witnesses had done that I aspired to emulate.

Not too long ago, I noticed a different part of the verse; 'the race marked out for us'. The inspiration is not to do the things this cloud of witnesses did; they simply ran the race that was set for them. I believe they were able to run their race because of what is said of Moses in 11:27; 'he persevered because he saw Him who was invisible'.

The inspiration from the cloud of witnesses is that we should first see Him who is invisible so that we might discover the race He has set for us and then persevere in it.

2008/11/10 22:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy