SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : what r peoples views on spiritual warfare

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
we can't build doctrines on speculations. We must build doctrines on sciptural revelation.

I am studying Colossians at present and thinking about the problems that assailed the saints there. Col 2:4 is interesting...
And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words. (Col 2:4 KJV)

The language used here is intriguing; its words come from a background of of accountancy and debate. The word 'beguile' has the sense of being misled by false accounting and 'enticing words' was used to describe arguments drawn from probability rather than direct evidence. A very loose paraphrase might be...""...lest anyone mislead you into false conclusions based on probability reasoning rather than clear evidence" It seems that the danger lay, not in direct opposition to revealed truth, but from plausable probabilities. The dangers at Colosse were not substraction but addition.

When I was teaching students I used to say the first two commandments of a Bible teacher are
1. Thou shalt not speculate
2. Thou shalt not extrapolate

ON the strength of Col 2:4 I think Paul would have agreed.

2004/8/18 6:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy