SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bird's Eye view (photo map) of Townhall in Greenock

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
JoanM

Re: Inform our prayer, Father

I hear you.

I am posting this because I am praying for the meetings in Scotland. I am not looking to encourage or add to what might become a sociological discussion.

Speaking spiritually, it is difficult to miss the relationship between the industrial revolution and

[u]#1. the building of cities in Genesis 11[/u]. Here I am thinking about the “making a name for “our” “self” (collective man not dispersing, and that “drive” in individuals to “make a name for themselves”).

[u]#2[/u]. the fruit of the industrial revolution on [u]how man views himself and views other men[/u]. This could make you weep. To me it is a view of man that is right up there with Darwin and evolution.

[u]#3. the great emptiness that follows[/u] from man knowing himself (an imagination against a biblical view of man) in the terms of the industrial revolution. There is a loss of meaning in life and a great loss of Truth. No wonder a man can so easily seek to be filled with spirits like Whiskey and Scotch.

[u]#4[/u]. the contribution this revolution has made to [u]the love of money[/u].

It is easy today for me to see the industrial revolution, spiritually, as another attempt to execute an end run around God after the events at the Tower of Babel – a run to lead man in “another way.” -- to again raise man’s “standard of living” to rival God’s (“into the heavens”).

I am also struck with this discovery of “bricks/brick-making” in Genesis*. Bricks are manmade, but God made stones. Every stone is so unique in shape and color. The people of God were enslaved to making bricks. But altars are made of stones. And we have 1 Peter 2: 5 Ye also, as [b][color=FF0000]lively stones[/color][/b], are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

The Tuesday group that prays for the meeting in Scotland shared a vision of prayer last Tuesday that touched Eph 4:16. These thoughts inform prayer.

There is only One Way to raise the standard of living for any man and all men. He truly does draw and lift us. It is behold the Lamb. Just one moment in his presence...

*[Edit:Gen. 11:3]

2008/10/30 12:33Profile
HeartSong

Re:

The industrial revolution has also brought about a distance between the people - it is much easier to bear the sorrows of another at a distance. Instead of laboring together we labor along with a machine, detaching ourselves from one another and breaking down the bonds of unity.

Not to mention the fact that we no longer have to get our hands dirty . . .

2008/10/30 13:19Profile

Re:

Hi Guys...I appreciate all the comments about Greenock and the industrial revolution and the outcomes of modern man. Wouldnt it be exciting to think that God would choose the birthplace of modernity to bring to life His ancient truths that never change? Call it a revolution or a Reformation, if the winds of the Spirit begin to blow on the smoldering embers of the Church then we may expect to see a mighty fire.......brother Frank

2008/10/30 16:07

Re: Bird's Eye view (photo map) of Townhall in Greenock

I would love to go. Thanks for this!!!

2008/10/30 17:10

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy