SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bird's Eye view (photo map) of Townhall in Greenock

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Bird's Eye view (photo map) of Townhall in Greenock

www.multimap.com set at Townhall in Greenock Scotland

You can zoom in and out and kind of look around a bit.

:-)

2008/10/29 13:58Profile

Re: Bird's Eye view (photo map) of Townhall in Greenock

Hi Heartsong

If you pan slightly south and then zoom in on the building, you will see scaffold. That portion of the building once belonged to a pig farmer who refused to sell his land to the council, back in the 1800s. They went ahead and built the building, assuming he would cave in, he did not. So when you look straight on at the building you will see that it was designed to be symetrical. Just a piece of useless information. Also, just around the corner from the town hall there is a statue to one of Greenocks most famous sons, James Watt(of 60 watt bulb fame:) He also took the steam and designed it for indutrial use, thus starting the industrial revolution. Captain Kidd, one of the worlds most famous pirates was born here, he was one of the original pirates of the Caribbean. Directly across the river from Greenock is the town of Helensburgh, this is where Alexander Graham Bell was born........Frank

2008/10/29 15:46
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Bird's Eye view (photo map) of Townhall in Greenock

Thanks to both of you!

2008/10/29 16:04Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Hi Frank,

Quote:
Also, just around the corner from the town hall there is a statue to one of Greenocks most famous sons, James Watt(of 60 watt bulb fame:) He also took the steam and designed it for indutrial use, thus starting the industrial revolution.

This is soooo strange. I was doing a study today of the steam engine. Just popped in my head and since I like engines I looked into it. Actually, as I think about it, I was originally curious about the impact of a train on a car at a railroad crossing because 4 teens were hit by a train by my house last Saturday in a 67 Chevelle 4 door and all survived with just scratches.

One thought lead to another and I was looking at steam engines today on youtube. The teacher mentioned the 60 watt thing and the industrial revolution attributed much to Watts. What are the odds of that?

2008/10/29 21:28Profile

Re:

Hi Robert...six degrees of seperation ? :) Or, perhaps, great minds think alike, or as the Scots like to say "Fools seldom differ." :)....brother Frank

2008/10/29 21:39
JoanM

Re:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Loving HeartSong

Just what I am looking for. [u]You should do one Frank. Your own landmarks[/u]. Churches to pray for. Sounds like RobertW could go to Scotland with his mind moving off in that direction. :-)

Off to sing "Behold the Lamb" from Messiah chorus

2008/10/29 21:51Profile
HeartSong

Re:

I just realized a little while ago that the circles on the left and right, with arrows inside, let you basically go all the way around the structure.

What will they come up with next. Amazing.

2008/10/29 23:30Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Sounds like RobertW could go to Scotland with his mind moving off in that direction.

Well, in a few weeks I'll be flying over to the conference. It was very strange though to see Frank point that out after I was just looking at the same subject. I did not know that Watts was from Greenock.

I have often thought that the Industrial Revolution greatly impacted the overall paradigm in the West towards 'productivity'. We went from a manual to a mechanized society. This happened on many levels; production, transportation, farming, etc. All were effected drastically. Gone were the days of labor intensive tilling the ground and harvesting crops. I submit that this was another major step towards [i]undoing[/i] the tangible consequences of Adam sinning.

[color=000066]Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. (Genesis 3:23)[/color]

We have been able in many parts of the world to sidestep this consequence for sin on a personal level. What used to take multitudes of people now only takes a handful with their machines.

And this is what concerns me most, that evangelism has taken the same path. The sinners prayer is like a modern day harvesting combine for souls. The fields are the huge stadiums or television audiences of mass evangelism efforts. The problem is exhaserbated by busted or poorly designed [i]machines[/i] (as it were). Instead of plowing, sowing, growing and harvesting a wheat crop- many are content to go out into an unworked farm and come from the fields with whatever made it into the bin. And because it has weight and volume it is called 'success'.

2008/10/30 8:01Profile

Re:

Hi Robert...excellent points. I am not a big fan of the industrial revolution and I sometimes bemoan the fact that it literally started in Greenock. I think that it just proves the point that even mans progress, which enhances his quality of life, simply takes us further away from Him. Late in the 19 centuary, man had made such progress, that it produced "utopian dreamers." People actually believed that man was moving towards a perfect society by their own means because of all the progress they had made in the indsutrial revolution. The two world wars shattered that notion. Man proved he was just as barbaric, if not more so, than he ever had been. No matter what progress we make on this planet, it does not change the fact that we are a rebellious people moving ever further away from God, not because of technology, despite it. This fact shatters the human ego...brother Frank

2008/10/30 9:06
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I am not a big fan of the industrial revolution...

I don't think it is accidental that God has pointed our attention to Greenock. I guess I see an awareness of how industry influenced a revolution in evangelism. Perhaps a 'revolution' of sorts could begin again in Greenock; with the fresh word from Atlanta on our hearts I look for God to give insight into His plan to restore to the Church a Bible based approach to the Harvest and the 'work' of the ministry.

2008/10/30 9:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy