SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is it right to receive gifts?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
A-Run

India

Is it right to receive gifts?

Dear All,

We at our office receive certain gifts during the time of some 'Hindu Festivals'.

My question is: Is it right to accept these gifts that are offered in the name of 'heathen festivals'?

#Also: While i was not present in the office, somebody placed a gift on my desk(don't know who it was). What should i do with it?

2008/10/29 5:46Profile
dohzman

Re: Is it right to receive gifts?

Why don't you just look at the whole arguement the apostle Paul puts forth on recieveing meats and things sacrifced unto idols and pray about it.

As to the gift given to you secretly or anomously, whats the big deal with that, unless it's something that offends your conscience or causes you to stumble into sin.

2008/10/29 8:01Profile

Re:

A-Run... these are good questions. Seeing that I am not at all familiar with the culture in India it's kind of hard for me to be able to give you advice on this. But Dohz is correct in what scripture says. If you can receive the gift without it causeing your conscience to burn... or causing you to stumble... receive it.

Use this as an opportunity to witness if that is permissable where you are.

And if receiving this gift is a spiritual problem for you, then smile nicely and then dispose of the gift privately.

Krispy

2008/10/29 8:30
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

What would happen if you were to give your co-workers a gift during some Christian holiday with an explanation of why you are doing it? Like Resurrection Day, or whatever holiday Christians celebrate in India...

Just an idea..

ginnyrose

2008/10/29 8:42Profile
A-Run

India

Re:

Hi Krispy/Dohzman,

thanks for your posts.

Yes- i do agree with you both. In fact, for almost 3years or so whenever somebody offers me a gift or a meat offered to idols- i refuse it (in a meek spirit though).

I do think it s a good opportunity to witness as well. Whenever i stood for my beliefs-people do stand up and listen. And by God's grace i was able to distribute Bible's to many.

I am planning to dispose off the gift that was placed on my table. I did it many a time- but this time i was planning to get some of your thoughts as well.

Thanks.

2008/10/29 8:46Profile
A-Run

India

Re:

[size=x-small]

Quote:
What would happen if you were to give your co-workers a gift during some Christian holiday with an explanation of why you are doing it? Like Resurrection Day, or whatever holiday Christians celebrate in India...

[/size]

I think it's a great idea!
I have only given Bible's and other gifts on people's birthday's etc... (but never on a Christmas)

Some of my other friends though who are believers have distributed cake's etc.. on Christmas. And i think they also try to testify of what the Lord did in their lives.

2008/10/29 8:53Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy