SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : NEW Pilgrims Progress Movie

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

The movie looks horrible from a production standpoint.

2008/10/30 3:00

Re:

Quote:

ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:
Hi Brian...
Quote:
His name is Hugh McLean.

One might want to consider keeping a tight reign on the tongue before making flippant statements like the one above. Some could construe it as racism, prejudice, or just plain ignorance.

I also thought that the man looked a lot like T. D. Jakes. Any sort of hesitation on my part doesn't have anything to do with racism, prejudice or plain ignorance. Rather, I would hesitate to watch a film knowing what I do about T. D. Jakes' doctrines and previous ventures into film.

The good thing, at least to me, is that the man is not T. D. Jakes. Please don't look too deeply into my comments (or those of others). They don't reflect anything other than a hesitation and questions regarding Jakes' ministry.

:-)

Since you did not comment and my response was not directed at you then you are not necessarily the target of my post. However, someone else did say that they thought it was Jakes and whether or not you or they agree with his ministry, one ought to know of whom they are talking about before they make such comments; especially, if they are commenting on a quick two second movie trailer.

I still hold to my point that flippant statements like that "could" be construed as racism, prejudice, or just plain ignorance.

It is just an observation which I am sure someone else could possible notice.
:-)

2008/10/31 1:16
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Quote:

paulmcg1 wrote:

I would rather say, it was a noble effort, and our "production" expectations of movies are set by a sinful sex-crazy violence-obsessed atheistic movie industry -for a movie based on the greatest Christian novel of all time, made by earnest Christians without a big hollywood budget I think it is awesome.

2008/10/31 2:11Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

It is interesting how as time progresses the need to make movies look 'realistic' has grown until there is little left for the imagination to do. This is why reading books is so much different than watching a modern movie. I think the public has become spoiled and dumbed down by so much media technology. We used to could communicate a message with stick figures or cheesy movie sets; today folk have to be led by the hand through every step of the thought process. :roll:

2008/10/31 11:58Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Some could construe it as racism, prejudice, or just plain ignorance.

Dear brother, you might retract this suspicion if you knew Ricky Earl. Besides, the comment had nothing to do with skin color or racism, but rather with surprise, knowing Jake's theological affiliation and propensity to showboat.

Amazing how much they look alike, you have to admit. Must have been the lighting for that particular shot. From what I've seen, this is looking kind of Narnia-like and Lord of the Rings. I'm not really big on this kind of fantasy stuff, though I'm not knocking it for others. My 10 year-old nephew will probably want to go see it, so I'll still end up going anyhow - just like with all the other Narnia movies. I draw the line with Veggie Tales, though!

:-D

2008/10/31 12:43Profile

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Quote:
Some could construe it as racism, prejudice, or just plain ignorance.

Dear brother, you mighy retract this suspicion if you knew Ricky Earl. Besides, the comment had nothing to do with skin color or racism, but rather with surprise, knowing Jake's theological affiliation and propensity to showboat.

What I am saying is that it was said as a statement rather than as a concerning question, especially if you considered his punctuation and it took me all of two seconds to find the actors name on the Internet.

I have NO suspicion about Ricky Earl, so I have nothing to retract, but as I have mentioned three times now, "Some could construe it as racism, prejudice, or just plain ignorance."

And those 'some' are the others, members or non, which visit SI...

2008/11/2 1:19
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
today folk have to be led by the hand through every step of the thought process.

Oh, that is a rich all encompassing statement.

Just hope this rendition is missing the gravity defying, floating-flying-kung-fu fighting mid-air special effect that seems so prevalent these days ...

Disclaimer: Rare movie watcher if that matters ... :roll:

Brian, I think everyone is understood here. The resemblance is quite uncanny.

2008/11/2 9:46Profile

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
Brian, I think everyone is understood here. The resemblance is quite uncanny.

True. Although, it would also have to be admitted that Earl (who is apparently part African American), would have benefited by taking the two seconds to search out the cast of the movie and have not mentioned Jakes at all.

Having a (excuse the large paint brush for a moment) black pastor, black friends, a yellow wife in a predominately Asian culture, and being white, I have experienced many opposing races say how "so and so looks like so and so" mainly because of color.

I know Ricky Earl made an honest mistake and God knows I have made many more. My only point from the very beginning was that some could read a statement or question like that, which was wrong from the get-go, as racism or ignorance.

I rest my case, in the Lord.

Now I would like to see the movie!

My wife and I read Pilgram's Progress together last month for our morning devotional.

2008/11/3 7:23
repentcanada

Re:

I watchedthe trailer for the movies for about 60 seconds, I saw the man that looked like Jakes and asked why he was in it. He looks like him, no question. The thought to go and check the actors names never crossed my mind, why would it? It was all cleared up when the first person said it wasn't Jakes. Discussion over. Had nothing to do with him being black.

2008/11/3 12:11Profile
LoveGodsWay2

Ohio, USA

Re: NEW Pilgrims Progress Movie

My family & I saw it last night. We all thought it was great. Had a great time talking about eternal things afterwards.

2008/11/9 12:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy