SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : humorous note

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
psalm1

humorous note

I saw this today and maybe someone will find it humorous.

PLease note this is NOT ment to offend or establish doctrine......sinmply humorous;

Those who say, "It's all ordained and so why fight it," remind me of the Presbyterian preacher back in pioneer days who was asked by a parishoner:
"If you believe things are foreordained and predestiaed, and you believe that when your time has come, there is nothing you can do about it, why do you carry a gun with you when you go to church on Sunday?"

"Well," he said, "It's like this: I carry a gun because I might meet an Indian whos time has come.

David

2008/10/27 12:30Profile

Re: humorous note

LOL... I like it. This is why I have a couple of handguns. If someone breaks into my house then obviously it's their time!

(It's just humor, y'all... everyone relax!)

Krispy

2008/10/27 12:46
psalm1

Re:

thanks krispy,I needed that!

David

2008/10/27 13:50Profile

Re:

No problem... God created laughter and gave us all (most of us anyway) a sense of humor! We should use it more often, dont you think?

Krispy

2008/10/27 14:35
JoanM

Re: Redeeming humor

I once asked God seriously in prayer about humor. I was flooded with cartoons and really laughed a lot. They all had some redeeming truth in them. I just had to draw them out but could never do a computer thing to post them.

One was a picture of the whole world, continents identifiable. There were streak lines with tiny stick figures, arms raised, at the end of the lines zooming off the earth. Others were on the earth.

The caption: Pastor Dragfoot wondered if had waited just a little too long to have prayer and repentance meetings.

Can you see it? :-) :lol: :-P

(I thought of sending it to every church in the phone directory)

2008/10/27 16:03Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

oops,

sorry, I may sound like a legalistic spoil sport, but imagine this: Tell this joke in an Indian reservation church, I am sure you make some friends! Tell this joke in mixed congregation from the pulpit about another people present in the fellowship. Image half of them laugh and the others stand up and leave. This is only funny when it is not at your expense.

This IS sadly American history, and it still happens everywhere. Parishoners would sing Amen and Hallelujah on Sunday and then go shooting their fellow brothers.

Should a Christian tell this joke about Moslems or a Moslem about Christians?

narrowpath

2008/10/27 19:11Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I find this 'joke' troublesome. I read this yesterday and the longer time passes, the more I dislike it.

I will say in a minute why I dislike it but first off let me assure you I love jokes, laughter. All who know me in the flesh know that. In fact I got a funny political email today that I sent to Krispy thinking it may be too partisan for SI.

What I do not like about this joke: I adhere to the doctrine of non-resistance in living. (If you wonder what I mean by this you can check out Pastorfrins thread on "Let's Talk About Peace".) To laugh at this joke of someone being shot and killed violates this principle. To me it is not a whole different from some other jokes that mock important moral/theological values.

(At least y'all should be glad Krispy did not take offense - his racial heritage includes American Indian!)

My opinion,
ginnyrose

2008/10/28 19:00Profile

Re:

Yes ginny I see your point and concern

Paul tells us.....

Eph 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

I like to make people laugh. However I try and notice who's company I am in so that I don't offend. Also if I am around a bunch of unregenerate folks I am even more carefull.
I have regretted more than once telling a "clean" joke and the response is one or more dirty jokes.
So we should be careful around certain people and certain situations. If we still accidently offend I think we should be willing to apologize for the foolish talk as opposed to telling someone to lighten up. Better to err on the conservative side. This is my opinion of the intent of the Lord in the scripture quoted. I could be off but hopefully not to far off.

2008/10/28 22:49
rbanks

Re:

John 11:11-16 (KJV) 11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.
16 Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.

2008/10/28 23:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
Tell this joke in an Indian reservation church, I am sure you make some friends! Tell this joke in mixed congregation from the pulpit about another people present in the fellowship. Image half of them laugh and the others stand up and leave. This is only funny when it is not at your expense.

Well... as someone who's ancestry includes a LARGE dose of Cherokee Indian... and belongs to the tribe because of my bloodline... and has many relatives who still live on the "reservation" in Cherokee, NC... I found the joke quite funny.

So there ya have it from the horse's mouth. I'm not offended by the joke at all.

But hey... I get it from both ends. What group of white Americans is there more jokes about than any other white American? Southerners!

...and it doesn't offend me. I like a good redneck joke too. And I bet if someone told one here there would be NO negative reactions from anyone. Thats a fact.

Y'all know what offends me? Offended people! :-)

Krispy

2008/10/29 8:34

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy