SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Best English Translation - The Geneva Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
repentcanada

The Best English Translation - The Geneva Bible

This is what I have heard from many. Any thoughts on this?

2008/10/24 8:38Profile

Re: The Best English Translation - The Geneva Bible

Personally I believe it to be a good translation, but believe wholly that the KJV is superior to it in translation.

Krispy

2008/10/24 9:02
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Yes, I would agree with you Krispy but there is one area where the Geneva might be more accurate. This is the area to do with 'spiritual authority'. There is a fascinating pdf file created to show the difference between early English translations that you can find [url=http://www.genevabible.org/files/Geneva_Bible/6_Version_Comparison.pdf]HERE.[/url]

In the following you can compare (t)yndale with (w)ycliffe with the (g)eneva with the (k)jv to see what I mean.

[color=0033FF]Acts 20:28
(w) Take attention to you, and to all the flock, in which the Holy Ghost hath set you bishops, to rule the church of God, which he hath purchased with his blood.
(p) Take ye attention to you, and to all the flock, in which the Holy Ghost hath set you bishops, to rule the church of God, which he purchased with his blood.
(t) Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, whereof the holy ghost hath made you overseers, to rule the congregation of God, which he hath purchased with his blood.
(g) Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, whereof the holy Ghost hath made you Overseers, to feed the Church of God, which he hath purchased with that his own blood.
(k) ¶ Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. [/color]The tell-tale sign here is simply the preposition 'over' which only appears in the KJV version.

[color=0033FF]Heb 13:7
(w) Be ye mindful of your provosts, that have spoken to you the word of God; of whom ye beholding the going out of conversation, follow ye their faith,
(p) Have ye mind of your sovereigns, that have spoken to you the word of God; of whom behold ye the going out of living, and follow ye the faith of them,
(t) Remember them which have the oversight of you, which have declared unto you the word of God: The end of whose conversation see that ye look upon, and follow their faith [Consider the conversation of their living, and counterfeit their faith].
(g) Remember them which have the oversight of you, which have declared unto you the word of God; whose faith follow, considering what hath been the end of their conversation.
(k) Remember them which have the rule {or, are the guides} over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.
[/color]
Again we have the tell-tale 'over'. The Tyndale and the Geneva both concentrate on the function of oversight; the KJV on the 'office' of the ruler. This is the same in Heb 13:17 and 13:24

The word translated 'rulers' here is really [url=http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2233&t=kjv]hēgeomai (Strong's G2233)[/url]. If you click the Vines entry on the BlueLetterBible page you will see that it comes from a verb meaning 'to lead'. The primary sense is to lead rather than to rule. Another interesting word here is the word [url=http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G3982&t=kjv]peithō (Strong's G3982)[/url]which has the primary meaning of 'be persuaded' or 'trust'. None of these translations capture that.

[color=0033FF]Acts 6:3
6:3 (w) Therefore, brethren, behold ye men of you, of good witnessing, or fame, seven, full of the Holy Ghost and of wisdom, whom we shall ordain on this work;
(p) Therefore, brethren, behold ye men of you of good fame, full of the Holy Ghost and of wisdom, whom we shall ordain on this work;
(t) wherefore brethren look ye out among you seven men of honest report, and full of the holy ghost and wisdom, which we may appoint to this needful business:
(g) Wherefore brethren, look you out among you seven men of honest report, and full of the holy Ghost, and of wisdom, which we may appoint to this business.
(k) Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. [/color]
Notice here how the appoint 'to this business' of the Geneva has become 'appoint over this business' in the KJV.

The KJV sees authority as hierarchical. The preposition 'over' put things 'under' someone.

2008/10/24 9:21Profile

Re:

Thanx, brother... I'll look into this. I'm certainly not opposed to the Geneva. Just havent seen anything yet that would convince me it is better in translation than the KJV.

Krispy

2008/10/24 9:31

Re:

I read the Geneva bible, it's the first accurate translation of the bible so the only one for me. King James banned the Geneva bible so why should I get a King James bible from a man who bans a bible and makes it a felony for the ownner to have one? It's just the principle of the matter for me personally. From what I read he didn't like the commentary from some of the puritan writers even though it was right on. I have alot of mixed feelings about it. I don't have any problem with anyone owning a King James bible though. We have some in our home and my husband has one. I still read it from time to time but I prefer the Geneva bible.

2008/10/24 9:44
repentcanada

Re:

all i can say is i have "the geneva bible" coming to me in the mail, and in the mean time i am going to read the esv new testament in its entirety. once my "the geneva bible" is in my hands I will be "the geneva bible" exclusively.

2008/10/24 15:32Profile

Re:

Just give thanks to the Lord that you live in a place that allows you to have so many copies of the Word of God.

Should the Holy Spirit lead you, you might want to consider donating some $$ to ministries that print and smuggle copies of the Word of God into countries where our brethren are shot for having one.

:-)

Krispy

2008/10/24 15:37

Re:

Quote:
I read the Geneva bible, it's the first accurate translation of the bible so the only one for me. King James banned the Geneva bible so why should I get a King James bible from a man who bans a bible and makes it a felony for the ownner to have one? It's just the principle of the matter for me personally. From what I read he didn't like the commentary from some of the puritan writers even though it was right on. I have alot of mixed feelings about it. I don't have any problem with anyone owning a King James bible though. We have some in our home and my husband has one. I still read it from time to time but I prefer the Geneva bible.

So what if he did ban the Geneva? It's not as tho KJ had anything to do with the translation of the KJV. He wouldnt even finance it. All he did was "authorize" it, thus the "Autorized Version" was the original name of it. It wasnt called the "King James Bible" back then.

Should he have banned it? No, I dont think he should have. But it's completely not relevent since King James was completely uninvolved in the translation of it.

You should study the lives of the actual translators if you want to critique the KJV on "who" developed and translated it.

Krispy

2008/10/24 15:42
repentcanada

Re:

The above post makes much sense.

I love you krispy.....there is much truth to what your saying though. I don't want to ever go into another "Christian" book store again in my life (practically), let alone buy another copy of the Bible to hoard to myself.

2008/10/24 15:46Profile

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Quote:

So what if he did ban the Geneva? It's not as tho KJ had anything to do with the translation of the KJV. He wouldnt even finance it. All he did was "authorize" it, thus the "Autorized Version" was the original name of it. It wasnt called the "King James Bible" back then.

Should he have banned it? No, I dont think he should have. But it's completely not relevent since King James was completely uninvolved in the translation of it.

You should study the lives of the actual translators if you want to critique the KJV on "who" developed and translated it.

Krispy

Hi Krispy, like I said I have no problem, reading , owning or buying the King James bible. I can't say too much than what I've already said. That's just how I feel. I know who the developers and translators are and I praise God for that but I still prefer the Geneva bible. Actually it makes me want to have one all the more knowing all of the persecution that they went through for owning one. I guess that's what it is. I love the puritans and the history behing the Geneva bible. I think it's awesome and very inspiring. I'm so glad it's in print.

Also I went to "Ink and Blood" and that really changed my whole thinking concerning the bible and what they went through to put it in our hands. Have you ever been to "Ink and Blood"?

2008/10/24 16:23

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy