Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Abraham, My Friend_31

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Ron,

I agree not to rehash another thread. Yet I need to write about Genesis 15.

Abram asks God, "Lord God, how shall I know that I will inherit it?" Genesis 15:7

In the following revelation written in verses 8-17 we are given an example of how God's revelation to man provides the assurrance for the things hoped for. This in essences is an example of a man's acquired experience of knowing God. This aquisition forms the substance for what is hoped for. This supernatural work of God creates in Abram the possibility to trust Him. This is the seed from which faith springs.

This dream or vision given to Abram represents symbolically the intercessory work of Jesus in the behalf of those who would believe in Him. I will attempt to illustrate this with Scripture.

"Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the Lord, and Satan stand at his right hand to oppose him. And the Lord said to Satan, "The Lord rebuke you, Satan! The Lord who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?" Zechariah 3:1-2

I believe Jesus is the Angel of the Lord. I believe that He has interceded for Joshua the high priest. This intercession removes Joshua from Satan's grip. I believe this ceremony has been played out since the time of Adam.

Also, "And I give them eternal life, and the shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand." John 10:28-29

Look to what is written in Zechariah 3:2, "Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?" Are not all condemned prior to the intercession of God? Are not all held in Satan's grip? Now look to the depiction of the experience of Abram. Abram during the day obeyed God exactly. In verse 9-10, Abram obediently did what God commanded him to do. In verses 11-12, I believe this is a depiction of Satan and his world. The idea of vultures and deep darkness depict the outcome for those who reject God. Listen to a testimony of a believer's experience of Hell.

http://www.fireonthealtar.com/sermons/23/23%20minutes%20in%20Hell.ZIP

Here is a listing of the Scriptures cited in this testimony.
Scripture cited on Hell testimony:

Vision as an experience:
2 Corinthians 12:1-2
Job 7:14

Similar experience:
Jonah 2:2-6

Main body of message:
Isaiah 24:22
Proverbs 7:27
Jonah 2:6
Job 17:16
Isaiah 14:19
Isaiah 14:9-10
Psalm 88:4
Ezekiel 22:26
Deuteronomy 32:22-24
2 Samuel 22:6
Micah 3:2
Psalms 36:5
Psalms 74:20
Isaiah 5:14
Isaiah 57:9
Ezekiel 32:24
Psalms 88:6
Revelation 16:10
Jude 13
Exodus 10:21
Isaiah 24:17
Job 18:14
Deuteronomy 29:23
Jude 7
Psalm 11:6
Isaiah 57:21
Ezekiel 32:24
Job 26:6
Luke 16:23-24
Revelation 14:11
Zechariah 9:11
Ephesians 4:9
Numbers 16:32
Isaiah 14:11
Jude 6
Isaiah 38:18
Revelation 1:6
Ephesians 3:19
Isaiah 40:22
Psalms 47:9
James 4:14

Continuing on with Abram's experience, we see God speaking to Abram of the things to come which are found in verses 13-16. Again, remember God is responding to Abram's request for assurance in the promise.

Now in verse 17, "And it came to pass, when the sun went down and it was dark, that behold, there appeared a smoking oven and a burning torch that passed between those pieces." I believe the smoking furnace is representative of hell and all it's attributes. The burning torch is the light of Jesus. I believe this is an enactment representative of what Jesus did for Abram.

Psalm 110:4, "The Lord has sworn [b]and will not relent,[/b]
You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek." I believe this idea of the Father not relenting represents the continual work of the Father and the Son. The ceremony of the Father drawing men to Himself, and then handing them over the Son. This idea of the unrelented handing over the believer, from the time of Adam to the end of this age, is the representation of the priestly duties of the Son throughtout time. The idea of unrelenting points to the numerous ceremonies, more than the stars in the sky. The Father continues to save, the Son continues to save through the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus is our high priest according to the works that are performed in line with the priestly order of Melchizedek.

I agree that Calvary is represented here. I add that Abram also witnessed this event which enable him to walk behind Jesus. "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, [b]and he saw it and was glad."[/b] John 8:56.

Read Job 33:13-30, this is another example given to us in Scripture illustrating the work of God removing the faithful from Satan's grip. Abraham was not the only righteous man of his time.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/7/17 13:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy