Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Church membership: Biblical or not

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Church membership: Biblical or not

Is church membership biblical? Because I can not find anything to justify it?
This is an issue I am facing in our church

2008/10/15 21:17Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re: Church membership: Biblical or not

I think you answered your own question.

Could you define what you mean by "church membership" a little clearer?

I would say unbiblical, but that is only if I understand you correctly. Asking this question, you have to also ask the question pertaining to "organic church life" or the "going to Church (in a building) life".

2008/10/15 21:58Profile

Re:

I would agree that it is un-biblical...unless I am convinced otherwise. One of our elders at church did a raise a good point on membership he said it is so that they will know who you are. Know how to pray for you, to help you, to encourage you and so forth. If you are a member you are known, not just someone who comes in and leaves. For me that made more sense. It sounded more like a heart of a shepherd. Does that make membership biblical...No, but it takes the edge of church membership, at least for me.

2008/10/15 22:10
theopenlife

Re:

John Piper just did a message on just this point...

[url=http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Sermons/ByDate/2008/2989_How_Important_Is_Church_Membership/]How important is church membership?[/url]

He raises some points I had never considered.

2008/10/15 22:51Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

No

2008/10/16 3:05Profile

Re:

There is nothing in scripture about becoming a member of a church. Most churches put more requirements on becoming a member than Christ does about becoming born again.

Having said that, being a member of a church is not some great sin either... so long as you do it unto the Lord.

Krispy

2008/10/16 7:37
MikeH

Re:

Absolutely essential!!

[color=009900]1Co 12:12-14 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many.[/color]

Or is that not the type of church membership you were thinking about? :-D

Kind regards

Mike

2008/10/16 9:15Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

Well, it IS biblical to be under authority, so the question is, without "membership", how exactly will someone exercise authority and you submit to it? Now, if you are absolutely committed to one church body, membership would be a mere formality, but I think it's good to solidify your commitment, even though the stipulations might not exactly be biblical.

2008/10/16 9:57Profile

Re:

Quote:
Well, it IS biblical to be under authority, so the question is, without "membership", how exactly will someone exercise authority and you submit to it? Now, if you are absolutely committed to one church body, membership would be a mere formality, but I think it's good to solidify your commitment, even though the stipulations might not exactly be biblical.

I guess I dont understand this... I absolutely agree with what you're saying about authority. About I dont see any connection between that and signing a card making you a member so you can vote, etc...

And by the way, voting is nowhere found in scripture either. That is something I am very much against. Either the leadership is being led by the Spirit, or it isnt. The church is not a democracy. It's not a republic either.

Krispy

2008/10/16 11:28
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

I would add in defense of membership or whatever else one would call it these scriptures:
Amos 3:3 (NKJV) 3 Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?

1 Corinthians 1:10 (NKJV) 10Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

It is quite obvious that unless there is doctrinal agreement and agreement upon some practical applications of doctrine that confusion and discord is bound to arise. And as has already been pointed out, how can there be any discipline if there is not some Biblical principles upon which the majority of the church is bound together in some fashion "speaking the same thing". It does not have to be called "membership" per se, but unless it is one person i.e. in an independant position as a pastor or house church position, there has to be some sort of agreed upon principles and doctrines by which those in authority administer discipline, and without discipline there is chaos and room for the devil to do great havoc. That is experience speaking!

To say that "we just go by the Bible" is a naive position, and this forum is a prime example of how quickly disunity can be introduced without laid out rules and bylaws and a doctrinal position and moderators to monitor the posts.

Clint

2008/10/16 11:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy