Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Recommended books on prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Trevino

Las Cruces, New Mexico

Recommended books on prayer

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to sermonindex. I'm 23 years old. Was saved in May of 2003. And in April of this year the Lord awakened me to the reality and need for revival, holy living, and a life of prayer through a sermon by Mr. Ravenhill called "The Price of Revival." I was blown away at all of this. It's all new to me. I can't believe I was saved into such a powerless Christianity...but I thought it was normal. However, after listening to Ravenhill, Duncan Campbell, Keith Daniel, etc...I realized that I was in the midst of an abnormal Christianity. I wanted to post a forum because I know the Lord is calling me to a deeper prayer life. What books would you recommend? Thank you..I'm ever grateful for the ministry of sermonindex.

2008/10/14 12:45Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Recommended books on prayer

there is a book called the complete works of E.M Bounds. You need to get that one, Bounds is a classic i think. You will get your 11 dollars worth i promise

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-Bounds-Prayer-Experience/dp/0801064945]E.M Bounds[/url]

2008/10/14 13:11Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

this one also

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Christ-School-Prayer-Andrew-Murray/dp/1604593075/ref=pd_sim_b_2]With Christ in the school of prayer - Murray[/url]

You can find both books online for free, but i prefer the "old way" of reading :-) but free is always a strong +

2008/10/14 13:13Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

These are great! I also like [i]Revival Praying[/i] by Leondard Ravenhill. There are some great sections on prayer in [i]A Christian in Complete Armour[/i] by William Gurnall. Good stuff.

:-)

2008/10/14 13:23Profile
Limey153

Berkshire, England

I agree with the post above regarding the works of E.M Bounds. Though I have not read the book, I have read many of his works here on SI and Bounds is very good regarding the matter of prayer. In fact I think he scarcely wrote about anything else, no matter what the subject E.M Bounds always seems to bring the subject back round to prayer.

2008/10/14 13:55Profile
davet

Re:

Any biography on John Hyde also known as "Praying Hyde". Some other good biographies you can read that will encourage and challenge your prayer life are biographies of Rees Howels, David Brainerd, and Praying Payson. The lives of George Mueller and Hudson Taylor, John G. Lake are also encouraging in many areas including prayer.

2008/10/14 13:56Profile
DirkW

Netherlands

Re:

And don't forget brother. Don't read too many books :). Eventually we have to make the choice to sit down and cry out for God to come. We need Him.

2008/10/14 16:55Profile
Trevino

Las Cruces, New Mexico

Re:

I agree wholeheartedly brother. Thank you for your honesty.

2008/10/14 17:16Profile

Re:

Do you mind some sermon recommendations, or more specifically, a speaker recommendation?

Gerhard DuToit's messages have had the greatest impact on my prayer life. Four years ago this fall I attended a prayer conference that he led and not only did he preach on prayer but he prayed with us and started off each session with small group prayer. It was a most blessed time.

There is a series just posted here on SI that might be a great blessing to you, https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25487&forum=35

2008/10/14 17:23
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Welcome to SI Trevino. Here's a booklet from T.A. Sparks on the subject of prayer that I have found very helpful...

[url=http://www.austin-sparks.net/english/books/in_touch_with_the_throne.html]In Touch with the Throne[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2008/10/14 21:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy