Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

PaulWest wrote:

Quote:

In fact, when a person gets truly born-again these types of congregations [i]will[/i] reject him - boots and long hair and tattoos or no.

How very true this is.

2008/10/14 1:54Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
when a person gets truly born-again these types of congregations will reject him

There we have it.

There are singers and rappers who will talk about how they like Jesus but don't like the church. This is a populist theme that is even picked up by many emergent christians...I'm sure Jesus isn't impressed by their claims.

This is not a problem of tolerance. (yuck) In fact, humanist tolerance for sin in evangelical churches has created a paradox: by changing the Gospel from true repentance to simple tolerance we have seen a paradoxical rise in the emphasis of 'forgiveness' but a fall in Christ-like character. The end result is a Metastization of worldliness in the public church--a kind of unspoken social contract that agrees to mutual outward respectability in exchange for being left alone.

The truly born again person with or without tattoos in this environment is starving from this lack of being able to share the all-consuming reality of Christ in true communion of the Spirit with other believers. Sadly, he awakens to the realization that he is at the dinner party of the walking dead. :knockedout:

In all seriousness, I'm not really championing the right to have tattoos and chain wallets in the church. That is hardly the issue for me. And I understand that there is initially going to be some social strain when men and women of various backgrounds are brought together in Christ. I don't know myself how to get past some of these things, especially when there is an element of risk inherent in embracing believers whose pasts include things like drug selling, or gang relations and other influences that represent a threat to a husband and father like myself.

Yet there is a glass half full here. It is a good thing that the Spirit of God draws people from various backgrounds, for it pushes us a little more away from our personal world into the body of Christ. In the end, regardless of our backgrounds, we who have been born of the Spirit of God are lost to this world. As Paul West said, those that are indeed lost to his world, and found by Christ, will be at odds with those who have not either these things...whether in the world or in the public church.

Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

Blessings brethren,

MC

2008/10/14 2:54Profile

Re:

Quote:
There are singers and rappers who will talk about how they like Jesus but don't like the church. This is a populist theme that is even picked up by many emergent christians...I'm sure Jesus isn't impressed by their claims.

If you're truly born again you will love the [b]true[/b] church. People who long for the simple truth of the gospel... people who just have a plain simple relationship with Jesus... without all the programs, gimmicks, "Jesus Junk", etc.

I believe if you're truly born again and hunger and thirst after righteousness... the modern program oriented "purpose driven" church will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Krispy

2008/10/14 7:11

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy