Earnest spirit’s fervency.
Flaming breath ascends, avails,
Prayer transcends vocab’lary,
Spirit unctioned prayer prevails.

Heav’ns shall rend and mountains flow,
Fiends of hell in terror flee,
Christ shall reign above, below!
His the glorious Victory!

~Mary Peckham (saved during the revival on the Isle of Lewis, 1949-52)

2008/10/8 19:49
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Barren altars! ~ Peckham

Quote:
Barren altars! What reproach!

convicting!

2008/10/8 21:50Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Barren altars! ~ Peckham

Sobering, tearful and passion filled poem.

One of the best I've ever read, or felt.

God bless.

2008/10/9 4:47Profile
JoanM

Re: O Lord, let me die that others may live.

October 9th - The Lord My Portion by Watchman Nee‏

[i]And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of Jehovah stood firm on dry ground in the midst of the Jordan; and all Israel passed over on dry ground, until all the nation were passed clean over the Jordan.[/i] Joshua 3.17.

The riverbed is the place of death. Nothing at all comfortable, nothing at all appealing. Not restful, not sitting, not lying, but standing. If I live according to my ill-temper, Christ cannot live in others. But if I stand at the bottom of the river, other people will cross the Jordan to victory. Death works in me, but life works in others. In my obedience to death, life will operate in others for their own obedience to God. The death of Christ quickens His life in us. Without death there can be no life.

It was most agonizing to bear the ark at the bottom of the river, for it required great diligence. A slight carelessness and the holy God would destroy them. They stood there, watching the children of Israel pass by one by one. And so they were left to the last. May we be able to pray thus: O Lord, let me die that others may live.

2008/10/9 10:36Profile

Re:

Quote:

JoanM wrote:
October 9th - The Lord My Portion by Watchman Nee‏

[i]And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of Jehovah stood firm on dry ground in the midst of the Jordan; and all Israel passed over on dry ground, until all the nation were passed clean over the Jordan.[/i] Joshua 3.17.

The riverbed is the place of death. Nothing at all comfortable, nothing at all appealing. Not restful, not sitting, not lying, but standing. If I live according to my ill-temper, Christ cannot live in others. But if I stand at the bottom of the river, other people will cross the Jordan to victory. Death works in me, but life works in others. In my obedience to death, life will operate in others for their own obedience to God. The death of Christ quickens His life in us. Without death there can be no life.

It was most agonizing to bear the ark at the bottom of the river, for it required great diligence. A slight carelessness and the holy God would destroy them. They stood there, watching the children of Israel pass by one by one. And so they were left to the last. May we be able to pray thus: O Lord, let me die that others may live.

Isn't it amazing Joan, how we can quote things like Jeremiah Burroughs, such as you quoted to me and find that what we quote we are not always perfected in. Oh what a wonderful day when were all perfected. :-)

2008/10/10 15:47
JoanM

Re:

Oh yes, yes, yes it is amazing. What a blessing (kessid) how He teaches us like that.

This is a precious thread as we pray for revival.

After my heart lingered with Mary’s [u]Barren Alters[/u] on October 8th, finding this Nee quote in my in-box on October 9th spoke specifically deep into my heart and mind.

2008/10/10 20:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy